The Event: NBC Plans Relaunch; Will It Be Saved or Cancelled?

The EventTonight marks the last episode of The Event for 2010. NBC plans to relaunch the series in three months, on February 28th, after letting their new series The Cape have the timeslot. Is it a risky move? Not really. Ultimately, they don’t have much choice.

The Event follows Sean Walker (Jason Ritter), a young man who’s investigating the mysterious disappearance of his girlfriend. He slowly begins to uncover the biggest cover-up in the history of the United States. Others in the cast include Sarah Roemer, Laura Innes, Ian Anthony Dale, Scott Patterson, Clifton Collins Jr., Taylor Cole, Lisa Vidal, Bill Smitrovich, Zeljko Ivanek, and Blair Underwood.

The series debuted in September to decent ratings with a 3.6 in the 18-49 demo and 10.88 million total viewers. That’s a healthy sampling but, considering all of the promotion that NBC put behind it, the programmers were likely disappointed by its third place rank in the timeslot.

While some viewers clearly love the show, more than half who watched the first episode have already lost interest. The Event has been losing viewers, sometimes as much as 15 or 20% in one week, and to date has never shown an increase week-to-week in the demo. The most recent installment garnered just a 1.7 rating in the demo and 5.19 million viewers.

You can blame the network for not doing a better job of promoting The Event but clearly there’s a problem with the series when people who already watch don’t feel compelled to return week after week.

Will this February “relaunch” help? Based on recent TV history, the answer is no. Just look at V and FlashForward. People who were interested in The Event have either already tried it and stuck around or given up on it. Those who haven’t watched previously are very unlikely to give a try because they assume that they’ve missed too much backstory already. On top of that, when the show returns, the ratings will likely be lower than what they are now. By the time The Event returns in February, many casual fans will have already gotten involved with other shows.

The one thing that The Event has going for it is the fact that it’s on NBC. The peacock network continues to struggle and The Event is currently the fifth most-watched scripted program on the network. If things go as expected, it will drop much lower on the list next year. Still, with the exception of The CW, NBC is the only network that would consider giving this series more time. They’ll surely let all 22 episodes air.

The Event returns on Monday, February 28th and will have 12 more original episodes to air at that point. Will there be a second season? We’ll have to wait and see but hopefully the producers will plan ahead and not end the show without any resolution.

What do you think? Does The Event have a chance for survival? What could NBC do to save this show? Anything?

HAZE January 19, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I can’t believe THE EVENT may be cancelled i couldnt wait for the return, Sify buffs
don’t stand a chance against all those cheesy sitcoms….ABC is also cancelling V,
last year THE 11TH HOUR was cancelled, next it will be FRINGE and THE SECRET
CIRCLE. COME ON NOW ALL THESE SHOWS ARE CANCELLED WITHOUT YOU
EVER FINDING ANY CONCLUSIONS TO THE PROGRAMS, SO I THINK A LOT OF
PEOPLE DON’T WATCH BECAUSE JUST WHEN YOUR HOOKED … GUESS WHAT
ITS CANCELLED.

Claudette January 19, 2012 at 10:41 am

I love The Event. I would like to see it come back. I guess I should say, PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!!

christina January 17, 2012 at 11:05 pm

It is sad that nbc cancelled the event. I love the show. It is really sad that nbc gets suckered in, I also got rid of Colin O Brian, He is much better then Jay leno

paula January 15, 2012 at 10:41 am

me and my fella love it and have really missed it x

kim January 1, 2012 at 9:08 pm

the event is the most mind blowing captivating tv series I have watched in a while… you guys are crazy for cancelling it I never missed an episode. bring it back!!!

J Lunsford December 10, 2011 at 5:12 pm

YES,YES AND VEHEMENTLY……YES. ESPECIALLY TO KSTEW AND M HARLOST. WE DESPERATELY NEED INTELLIGENT PROGRAMMING TO WATCH FOR A CHANGE.

YOU ALL AT NBC GIVE TRULY STUPID SHOWS A MORE THAN ONE CHANCE HAVE SOME COJONES AND GIVE A GREAT SHOW A REAL CHANCE…….YOU JUST MIGHT BE SURPRIZED!!!!!! I KNOW I WOULD BE. SO SURPRIZE US.

Rebecca Lowe December 7, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I think The Event is worth saving. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. I did not miss an episode and would be very disappointed if it were cancelled.

JT November 22, 2011 at 11:39 am

Bring it back !!! Great show

mike harlost November 20, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Just when you get really interested in a program, so idiot in corporate decides that they want to cancell it. Seriously, do you people have shit for brains?

Frankie November 16, 2011 at 5:02 pm

How can you cancel a great show like this! NBC sucks.
I am canceling NBC!

Mary Ruth October 26, 2011 at 10:06 am

The Event needs to be brought back. It is fantastic. Shutting it down is crazy talk.

Stephanie October 26, 2011 at 12:15 am

This show is amazing! Because I have Hulu Plus is why I started wat ching it. You have to keep it. There is too much crap not to want to watch it more! WE LOVE IT

Carl Monks October 22, 2011 at 2:48 pm

i do not know if it is possible to keep the show on the air,but i did love it. you either believe that it’s worth another try and will up the long term listeners to the show.if i was running the business i would consider a weaker time slot for after all it’s overall ratings that count.
just a though
carl

Doug October 5, 2011 at 11:16 am

Well I like the conspiracy theory aspect of the show.

It needs a few more special effects thrown in.

KStew September 24, 2011 at 4:00 pm

another reason why NBC sucks so much. take note and learn from CBS. when we finally get another really good, well acted suspense drama to follow, you cut it’s throat and leave us all hanging and angry. Way too, too, too much stupidity on TV anymore. Asinine junk like that jersey shore crap, a sickening plethora of stupid ‘housewives of’ junk, other dumb reality-type drivel and all the boring talent type shows. get some balls and some brains NBC.