The Event: NBC Series Return Delayed Until March 7th

The EventIf you’ve been counting the days until the return of The Event, you’ll need to add seven days to that figure. As suspected, NBC has pushed back the return of the ratings-challenged series by one week.

Earlier today, we reported that the peacock network had cut The Cape’s order from 13 to 10 episodes. The Event was originally supposed to return on February 28th and that would have left NBC with two leftover episodes of The Cape. Since they’ve already paid for them, it looks like the network execs want to air them. The last two installments of The Cape’s first (and likely only) season will air on February 28th.

Then, on March 7th, The Event will return with a two hour event of its own. That will leave nine episodes of The Event for the show’s first, and very possibly only, season.

TV show supportThe show currently ranks in the middle of NBC’s shows. It started out strong but soon started dropping viewers like crazy. The last four original episodes from November averaged a poor 1.7 rating in the demo. The Event will be returning from a three month hiatus and extended breaks like that have rarely if ever helped a struggling show’s ratings.

As a sidenote, this all means that ratings-challenged Chuck will get sidelined for at least two weeks, likely returning on March 14th.

What do you think? Will the week’s delay hurt The Event or will it benefit from have a two-hour episode? Or does any of it matter at this point?

Fred W December 16, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Stinks when the newtworks leave, if only a few loyal watchers, in the DARL!#$!@#!!#!

DANIA WATKINS May 6, 2012 at 7:59 am

I’M STILL LOOKING FOR THE EV3NT TO RETURN, HURRY UP.

Shaun December 27, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I hope the Event will return as soon as it can. I just watched season 1 on DVD and it was great!! I was disappointed that NBC cancelled the series. But glad to know they will return in March. The sooner the better!!

jeni May 31, 2011 at 11:42 am

These American shows ALWAYS do this. It’s a super show. How can you leave your fans in limbo like this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scott May 23, 2011 at 7:53 pm

loved the event sorry to see it go. hope another station picks it up. i loved it as much as 24

judith April 10, 2011 at 3:39 pm

The Event has gotten better in later episodes. I’m so sick of getting engaged in a series and then having it cancel, so I never know what happened at the end. May just give up on them, which means giving up on TV, because that’s all I watch. Actually, I gave up on TV years ago and watch only shows streamed or on DVD now. But I was watching this on Hulu Plus.

ron March 25, 2011 at 4:53 pm

my wife and i really enjoyed the event and were anxious to have it return. we had no idea the ratings were so low. we think it is such a great drama, not to mention one of the stars is the son of the one and only, iconic John Ritter. we would be so sad to see it go.

Gerlinde Page March 29, 2011 at 8:59 am

My husband and I watch the event faithfullly every week, we think it is a very exciting show. We certainly hope you will not scratch it. There are so many other shows that should bite the dust before THE EVENT…………