The Event: NBC Cancels TV Series; No Season Two

The Event canceled season twoWhen The Event was being promoted last summer, the producers made a point of saying that the series would be different from ABC’s failed FlashForward series. It turns out there were more unintentional similarities than they would have liked. Like FlashForward, NBC’s The Event has been cancelled after one season on the air.

The Event follows Sean Walker (Jason Ritter) who’s investigating the mysterious disappearance of his girlfriend. He slowly begins to uncover a huge cover-up that’s beyond belief. Others in the cast include Sarah Roemer, Laura Innes, Ian Anthony Dale, Scott Patterson, Clifton Collins Jr., Taylor Cole, Lisa Vidal, Bill Smitrovich, Zeljko Ivanek, and Blair Underwood.

The serial drama started out with healthy numbers on September 20th, registering a 3.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 10.88 million viewers. Unfortunately those digits started to fall immediately. The series lost 19% of its demo viewers in week two and another 17% in week three. From there, things basically just got worse and worse.

Should The Event have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

NBC announced that they were putting the TV series on hiatus over the holidays and indicated they would give it a relaunch in early 2011. That’s never a good sign and it certainly didn’t help the ratings. The Event lost more than 26% in the demo between its last episode in November 2010 and its first in March 2011. The ratings stabilized but not at an acceptable level.

TV show supportThe Event currently averages a 1.8 in the 18-49 demographic and 5.72 million viewers. As poor as that is, the average is only that high because of the early season numbers.

It’s no surprise that NBC has decided to pull the plug. There are two episodes remaining in the series and thankfully they’ll provide some sense of closure for the devoted fans that hung in there.

What do you think? Why didn’t The Event survive? Why did so many people bail on the series, even before the long hiatus?

Wondering where the rest of your shows stand? Check our NBC cancel/renew page.

Janice May 31, 2011 at 8:39 am

I can’t believe you are cancelling this show! It is getting really good and was the only weekly series that I watch! I sometimes have to watch it on demand due to other obligations I currently have.. too bad you don’t count how many hits this show gets via on demand and include that in your ratings calculations…. Too bad mainstream networks are force feeding ‘reality based’ nonsense on us, we want entertainment that is not ‘reality’ which is the beauty of ‘fiction’ , in this case ‘science fiction’. I hope that you can reconsider and, if not, that another channel picks up the series. I think you may be getting too big for your own britches and all too often presupposing what we want to watch.

2012 nerd May 30, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Makes me think really that this show was getting too close to the truth about a government conspiracy about what it knows about 2012 and that is why the show was canceled abruptly without a closure.?

Arthur May 30, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I am getting to hate you NBC, this the second series that you cut out before the last 2 finials, you did the same with V,how can you do this, you could of finish at lease the 1st. season then cut it out,at lease the fans would appericat a ending, your board should have there head fixed.

wayne May 30, 2011 at 3:57 pm

shame on you NBC why cancel the event when it was just starting to get interesting. I thought that it was good and started to watch it from the beginning. I could follow it fairly good, i got lost a few times but always kept interest in it. You have done this many times when a good show comes on only to have it cancelled, you are insensitve and could care less for the ones that really support you, I am getting tired of this and you. Why don’t you just finish what you start instead of stoppping mid stream. As others have stated I hope another channel picks it up so I can finally finish watching it.

Joe May 30, 2011 at 12:27 pm

If and when they ever have a ‘Neilson’ rating that keeps track of shows that are taped for later viewing you will have this type of situation. Shows that are watched after prime time hours will always face the fate of the Event

Spanb1 May 30, 2011 at 11:50 am

For ***** sake! I watched all of Flash Forward only to be dumped and now this! They suck you in, then let you down – doesn’t bode well for future viewing figures does it?! Won’t bother next time.

Roddy May 29, 2011 at 3:52 pm

You can’t watch any sci series on ABC, CBS or NBC. They want immediate ratings or it will be gone. Lost was able to maintain that. Fox gioves seies more time occasionally. But with the Event falling alongside other excellent drama like Thrershold which didn’t make it a full, The Invasions, Firefly. I’ll just watch future Sci Fi dramas on cable channl;s like Sci Fi and AMC. Let the networks wallow in reality shows. season

Jana May 29, 2011 at 11:26 am

What a fantastic and entertaining TV show! My husband and I absolutely loved it! PLEASE consider at least giving the fans a two to four hour finale to really close the book on the series. Give us a real ending – not one that leaves you hanging with too many unanswered questions like the May 23 episode.

Mark May 29, 2011 at 10:20 am

Wow this was my favorite show at least it lasted the whole year. Hopefully it will get picked up some where else

Willie May 28, 2011 at 7:59 pm

To be replaced by America’s Fattest Dancing Bachelorette or some other brain dead show.

Vicky Fuller May 28, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I hate you NBC! I love the Event. You are inane, absurb, stupid butt holes. Why do you not promote a show? Why did you put it on hiatus after November. I hope with all my heart that another channel picks up this wonderful show. I don’t care if I EVER watch NBC again.
Otherwise known as NO Class channel. YOU SUCK!

barbara May 28, 2011 at 4:31 pm

the event was just getting good i’m a fan of sci-fi i wish sci-fi will pict it up

AJohnson May 27, 2011 at 4:16 am

why cancel the show? it’s just beginning to get really interesting. is the president’s wife an alien? what is her story why did she come back to earth? the thing near the earth;is it a planet, or a huge ship? will the president (martinez) win the war? please finish the show right!

KM May 25, 2011 at 10:14 pm

How dare they…I stuck it out….shame on U NBC…one of the better shows u have

DON May 25, 2011 at 6:19 pm

ITS ON AT THE WRONG TIME AND ON THE WRONG NIGHT!
ITS GETTING GOOD!