The Finder: Hanson’s Plan to Bring Duncan & Stults Back to Bones

Canceled The Finder on FOXIn a tribute to Michael Clarke Duncan, Bones creator Hart Hanson told THR that there were plans to bring his character and Geoff Stults’ character back to Bones this season. Their spin-off series, The Finder, was cancelled in May.

He said, “The Finder started as an episode of Bones, and we were thinking of having MCD and Geoff do one more crossover episode on Bones so that we could tell the Bones fans what happened after The Finder didn’t come back.”

“We put all that on hold when he had his heart attack in July, but we were hoping he’d be back. [Bones star] David Boreanaz directed a Finder episode, and David and MCD really bonded. They’re both team-playing, big-hearted, noisy, jock-type wonderful guys. We’re just now coming to grips with the idea that MCD is gone. I sure hope we can think of something that would do him proud.”

Hanson also notes, “When we shot that last scene of The Finder this year, we were hoping it would be the season finale, not the series finale. If I had known it would be the end of our series, the last image would have been Leo standing outside his bar, looking out at the weather vane and being the last man standing, with everyone else scattered to the wind.”

The Bones creator also said that Duncan’s part was itinially written for a “Sam Shepard type” — an old, white, and skinny cowboy. Hart said that he completely rewrote the character for Duncan and added, “A lot of actors are nothing like what you see, but MCD was very much like what you see onscreen: that big smile, that big voice, not a bit of a bully to him. He doesn’t alpha-male anybody, though he could alpha-male anyone he wanted. He was just a genuinely good guy.”

What do you think? Would you like to see The Finder wrapped on Bones? Should they still do the crossover now that Duncan is gone?

Eileen September 7, 2012 at 5:56 am

Please do tie up loose ends. There have to be scenes of MCD that were cut that be pasted onto a tie up episode.

Paula September 7, 2012 at 4:52 am

Please tie up all the loose ends.

Rose September 7, 2012 at 4:17 am

Loved this show. Though a spin-off, it was not really one, like the CSI’s and NCIS shows. Why not strengthen the ties with Bones and revamp the show. Bones grandfather could step in and then bring a strong older female or male in gradually. Please bring it back. Loved the characters and the location.

Susan September 7, 2012 at 3:48 am

I really enjoyed The Finder. I watch Bones and most definitely want to know more about the characters. I want to know that Walter is ok, is Willa still a survivor and many more questions.

MCD was always a favorite no matter his role he commanded a presence like very few others. He will be missed.

Melesita September 7, 2012 at 3:16 am

Please, Please, Please give us an ending. Loved the show. Miss the show.

Janis Harrell September 7, 2012 at 2:36 am

Please bring back the Finder somehow or other it won’t be quite the same without Mr.Duncan but I want it back. Thank You!

JC September 7, 2012 at 1:17 am

I sad to see that MCD passed. I too am upset that they canceled “The Finder”. I would love to see Stults on bones and I would like to see what happend after the end of the series. Since last we saw him fighting with the Marshells trying to arrest him. I agree that its hard to replace a gental soul of MCD. Stults could become a occational guest on Bones. Bring back Walter and allow Hansons character to come back.

You might bring back Saffron Burrows as a way to replace Duncans character. Even though thats a hard thing to do when talking about someone who comes off being light hearted and loving person.

Bring back parts of ” The Finder”

sue September 6, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I loved the Finder and am very saddened by Michael”s death.I loved all of the people on the show and I believe they were all an integral part of a beautiful ensemble. I will truly miss the show, as it was the one I was looking for to close all those loose threads. I would love it if we could find those answers on Bones(also a long time favorite!!) If you want to move them into the show as permanent or recurring characters I would LOVE it.(sorry for shouting). Thank you for at least one season of a well written and quirky show. It was my very favorite. God bless Michael’s family and my prayers are with them at this difficult time.

ROSE September 6, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I am very dissappointed that The Finder was cancelled. I really enjoyed it. I was very sad to hear Michael passed away. I would like the see the show come back. Replacing Michael will not be easy.

Hoelern September 7, 2012 at 9:10 am

MCD can not be replaced. The series spirit died with him. The serie will NEVER be the same

michael milton September 6, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I would like to see The finder’s loose ends wrapped up or even see his character and some of his supporting cast be brought on board as part of bones. A tribute to MCD would be to wrap up that story by them coming onto to Bones and finding out that since the Finders imprisonment Leo has disappeared and Leo being what they have to find. along the way willows story could be wrapped up also. this would be the tribute.

Jeremy September 6, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Since The Finder is canceled and MCD has passed away, they should do a crossover story line where Walter (Geoff Stults’ character) and the Bones crew find out what happened to Leo. Maybe retcon a backstory about something in Leo’s past that finally caught up with him?

I really enjoyed the Finder, and now that it’s gone and House has ended there’s not much on Fox I really want to watch. Bones, while still entertaining, seems to have lost something in the last season or two.

Norwegian September 6, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I think what KAT’s saying in the last paragraph are a great idea. Quote: “maybe by the federal Marshal lady (well, former federal Marshal lady) appealing to Booth for help in getting Walter out of the mental institution. Or, at the very least, maybe an episode where they temporarily remand Walter to Booth’s custody so that he can help Booth and Bones find something/someone. Or maybe one where Willa-on-the-run is important to the plot/is a witness/etc.” spesialy the part that bones and booth need to find Willa because she is a witness. And there should be a side story where Leo has died, or been killed and and bones has to find out what happened with him.

Yes The Finder will never be the same with out MCD. But in retrospect the ending of The Finder left to many loose ends. They should be answered in some way. And that could be done trough bones.

Kat September 6, 2012 at 8:48 am

R.I.P. Michael Clarke Duncan! He was a big part of what made The Finder a great show. Maybe not the most flashy/outrageous character (Walter) or the one with whom I identified the most (Willa), but Leo was the heart of the show that held it all together and made it work.

I definitely would’ve looked forward to seeing him and Geoff Stults on Bones again. I still hope that they figure out a plot to show what happene to Walter, maybe by the federal Marshal lady (well, former federal Marshal lady) appealing to Booth for help in getting Walter out of the mental institution. Or, at the very least, maybe an episode where they temporarily remand Walter to Booth’s custody so that he can help Booth and Bones find something/someone. Or maybe one where Willa-on-the-run is important to the plot/is a witness/etc.

Hoelern September 6, 2012 at 2:00 pm

shane September 6, 2012 at 8:27 am

Just watched ep9 and I loved it but now that the big guy is gone the show won’t be the same. No1 could fill his shoes even if they wanted to. If they could bring rest of the team into bones that would be great but the finder should just finish. It really is a shame as the show was amazing and the chemistry between the main characters was great. Leo was walters compass

Kevin September 6, 2012 at 6:00 am

That is sad that he died . I would have like to see another season or 2 of the Finder or more bones episodes of them. But now that MCD is gone , there is no hope. sure they and get a replacement actor but it wouldn’t be the same.