The Finder: Hanson’s Plan to Bring Duncan & Stults Back to Bones

Canceled The Finder on FOXIn a tribute to Michael Clarke Duncan, Bones creator Hart Hanson told THR that there were plans to bring his character and Geoff Stults’ character back to Bones this season. Their spin-off series, The Finder, was cancelled in May.

He said, “The Finder started as an episode of Bones, and we were thinking of having MCD and Geoff do one more crossover episode on Bones so that we could tell the Bones fans what happened after The Finder didn’t come back.”

“We put all that on hold when he had his heart attack in July, but we were hoping he’d be back. [Bones star] David Boreanaz directed a Finder episode, and David and MCD really bonded. They’re both team-playing, big-hearted, noisy, jock-type wonderful guys. We’re just now coming to grips with the idea that MCD is gone. I sure hope we can think of something that would do him proud.”

Hanson also notes, “When we shot that last scene of The Finder this year, we were hoping it would be the season finale, not the series finale. If I had known it would be the end of our series, the last image would have been Leo standing outside his bar, looking out at the weather vane and being the last man standing, with everyone else scattered to the wind.”

The Bones creator also said that Duncan’s part was itinially written for a “Sam Shepard type” — an old, white, and skinny cowboy. Hart said that he completely rewrote the character for Duncan and added, “A lot of actors are nothing like what you see, but MCD was very much like what you see onscreen: that big smile, that big voice, not a bit of a bully to him. He doesn’t alpha-male anybody, though he could alpha-male anyone he wanted. He was just a genuinely good guy.”

What do you think? Would you like to see The Finder wrapped on Bones? Should they still do the crossover now that Duncan is gone?

Phyllis September 13, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Please continue The Finder in one way or another. This was a very fun and entertaining show. I looked forward to it each week. Will miss Michael Clarke Duncan. He was awesome.

Anonymous September 13, 2012 at 10:07 am

Absolutely loved this show and each quirly character. Renew AND have crossovers. As someone said, a tribute to MCD. Perhaps a relative shows up to run the bar. THAT would have to be just the right actor and character. Maddie is amazing as is the whole cast. Get it right!

Anonymous September 12, 2012 at 1:51 pm

It sucks that the series isn’t coming back It was a nice lite weight show I would like to see the Finder story line to cross over onto Bones from time to time

Brian September 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I love Bones and was interested in the Finder when it was introduced in an episode of Bones. I rewatched the entire season of The Finder on HuluPlus this weekend in remembrance of MCD. I strongly agree with every review I read. PLEASE BRING THIS SHOW BACK! I enjoyed it more than i had expected. I agree about the crossover episode as well. Lets keep everything going almost as planned. I feel that is the best way to honor someone and their work.

Peter September 9, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I loved watching the finder it is a great Show MCD would want it to continue. It something he started. Give a tribute on Bones! Keep It going and reference Leo often.

Phyllis September 9, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I will miss The Finder and would welcome a crossover with Bones and may be continue the story with a tribute to MCD,but not have someone replace him . May be later have a long lost cousin or brother after many episodes appear and take over or buy the bar.

Mikey B September 9, 2012 at 7:42 am

I loved MCD and the finder was one of my favorite shows. I always laughed and felt entertained after watching. Bones is also a never miss show, so please do bring “The Finder” back to Bones. R.I.P. MCD I will miss you.

shay W September 9, 2012 at 4:58 am

I agree they should bring it back and do crossovers. MCD will be missed he was surely the heart of the show.

Gee September 8, 2012 at 5:50 pm

A tribute to Michael Clarke Duncan on “Bones” would be a lovely gesture – I am sure that it will be appreciated by all. Rest in Peace, Mr. Duncan.

Maribeth September 8, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I agree with Randy – I was really saddened by the death of Michael Clarke Duncan, I understand he was a wonderful man and will be missed by his friends and family. However, I would really like to see a continuation of the series, a cross over with Bones could be done, explaining his death in some way and then perhaps introducing someone else to assist The Finder in new cases in Florida.

Marje September 8, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Yes Yes Yes continue the
finder character in bones. It would add more depth to the show and allow for some fun eppisodes. I greeve for the passing of MCD. What a wonderful man and he will be sorely missed. I would be all for fox getting their heads out of their cartoons and bring the Finder back. It would hard to find a replacement for MCD but I can think of several actors that could take his place. You could bring back the actress who was in the Bones show as the bar tender. I have always missed her.

GAYLE September 8, 2012 at 9:57 am

I AM VERY SADDENED BY MICHAEL CLARKE DUNCAN’S PASSING. HE WAS AN AMAZING ACTOR AND HE WAS A GOOD MAN.
I THINK IT WOULD BE AWESOME TO TELL A CONTINUING STORY ABOUT THE FINDER. ALL THE FANS OF BONES AND THE FINDER WILL LOVE IT.
A RECURRING ROLE WOULD BE AWESOME!

MICHAEL CLARKE DUNCAN WAS AN AMAZING MAN.
HE WILL BE MISSED FOREVER.

Russ September 8, 2012 at 9:54 am

I say make it an episode they have to solve his death. wasnt his wife killed from the finder background they should create a Bones that the person who killed his wife probly killed him and they join up to help the finder solve his death. that would be a nice tribute and a fitting end of the finder show.

GAYLE September 8, 2012 at 9:47 am

I AM A FAN OF THE FINDER.
I AM VERY SADDENED BY MICHAEL CLARKE DUNCAN’S PASSING. HE WAS AN AMAZING ACTOR. AND FROM WHAT I HAVE EVER HEARD FROM ANYONE WORKING WITH HIM WAS THAT HE WAS A GOOD MAN.
AFTER EVERYTHING IS SAID AND DONE IN THIS LIFE…
… BEING REMEMBERED AS A GOOD MAN IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYTHING ELSE.
MAKE THE FINDER A NEW MEMBER OF BONES? A RECURRING ROLE?

MICHAEL CLARKE DUNCAN WAS AN AMAZING MAN.
HE WILL BE MISSED FOREVER.

Randy September 8, 2012 at 8:03 am

Please bring back the finder and find some way to keep the series going. This was one of a kind and I thought it was a silly premise for a show when it started, but we could not stop watching after first episode. It will not be the same without MCD but it could still be great with some creative writing and ideas as by some of the comments.