The Finder: Hanson’s Plan to Bring Duncan & Stults Back to Bones

Canceled The Finder on FOXIn a tribute to Michael Clarke Duncan, Bones creator Hart Hanson told THR that there were plans to bring his character and Geoff Stults’ character back to Bones this season. Their spin-off series, The Finder, was cancelled in May.

He said, “The Finder started as an episode of Bones, and we were thinking of having MCD and Geoff do one more crossover episode on Bones so that we could tell the Bones fans what happened after The Finder didn’t come back.”

“We put all that on hold when he had his heart attack in July, but we were hoping he’d be back. [Bones star] David Boreanaz directed a Finder episode, and David and MCD really bonded. They’re both team-playing, big-hearted, noisy, jock-type wonderful guys. We’re just now coming to grips with the idea that MCD is gone. I sure hope we can think of something that would do him proud.”

Hanson also notes, “When we shot that last scene of The Finder this year, we were hoping it would be the season finale, not the series finale. If I had known it would be the end of our series, the last image would have been Leo standing outside his bar, looking out at the weather vane and being the last man standing, with everyone else scattered to the wind.”

The Bones creator also said that Duncan’s part was itinially written for a “Sam Shepard type” — an old, white, and skinny cowboy. Hart said that he completely rewrote the character for Duncan and added, “A lot of actors are nothing like what you see, but MCD was very much like what you see onscreen: that big smile, that big voice, not a bit of a bully to him. He doesn’t alpha-male anybody, though he could alpha-male anyone he wanted. He was just a genuinely good guy.”

What do you think? Would you like to see The Finder wrapped on Bones? Should they still do the crossover now that Duncan is gone?

stuffedbear January 3, 2013 at 9:32 am

Any plans to put the finder on DVD? Would love to see it return even if it won’t be the same as no one can fill Leo’s (MCD) shoes.

Carol December 13, 2012 at 10:40 am

I can tell you where you went wrong. As far as I’m concerned, FOX really doesn’t have the best line up anyway. The Finder and Bones are the best shows they’ve had. If The Finder had been set up after Bones, it would have been problem solved. But no, they have to move it around where you never know when or what time it’s coming on. It’s a guessing game. I think they should bring it back to give us closure. Have Leo missing and Walter needs to find him. Turns out he’s been killed and Willa, her social worker, and Isabel figure out who committed the murder. How about Uncle Shad doing the deed. He’s angry that Leo turned Willa against the family. Only you can’t prove it. We as fans need closure. Sorry to rant.

maria October 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I cant believe you cancelled the finder!! what a great show! of course you should at least do a crossover show or several? Its always the good shows that go and the stupid ones stay!

Brenda October 13, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Truly miss “the Finder”. It was a great show and the finale was fantastic. Hate not knowing what happened to everyone.

Anonymous October 8, 2012 at 7:16 am

It is a shame that Michael Clark Duncan has gone and i really feel for his family and friends but he would want the show to go on also. It is a show that anyone can watch and end up getting envolved in. The show has so amny intersting things going for it and to end the show like last year with him in a straight jasket was wrong. It should have never happened that way. We love that show and it needs to be brought back if only for the fact that MCD was such a big part of it and the love that you could not help but having for both guys. The girl as well but what the two of them have did together in the show makes a person want more and more of it. She needs to return also.

sheri September 29, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Definitely do a crossover episode. this is one show my whole family like to watch together. there are very few things that all of us watch (ages range from 13-36) but this was one of them. Its a shame that this show was cancelled.

Anonymous September 28, 2012 at 2:35 pm

really frustrating to have such a great show cancelled. not much out there worth watching, but the finder sure was. would love to see fox bring it back, but would really miss michael clark duncan. this is a great show with great writing and characters.

isuern September 24, 2012 at 9:15 pm

As a tribute they should finish the finder story on its own or on bonrs

Rhonda5 September 23, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I am so disappointed to hear that my favorite show was cancelled. I am so saddened by the loss of Michael Clarke Duncan. I really loved his character. I also loved the combination of witt and sensitvity he showed. This is a show that needs to do a tribute show to MCD whether it gets tied into an episode of bone s or whatever. The humor of the show will be missed.

Katie September 21, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Say it ain’t so! I was checking to see if they were bringing back The Finder after the death of Michael Clarke Duncan and found it had been cancelled. What a shame, I LOVED the show and all the characters. I was hoping they would have a quirky relative inherit the bar perhaps the Sam Shepard type it was originally created for- an unknown brother from another mother. So sad at MCD’s passing and the cancelling of my favorite new show.

Roan September 16, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Do a crossover so we know what happened to everyone.

Anna Hix September 16, 2012 at 11:54 am

Please, please! If we can’t have the Finder back, at least do a wrap up on Bones so that we know what happens to everyone. I don’t know how to deal with MCD being gone, but I’m sure there must be a way.

Christie September 16, 2012 at 10:29 am

Definitely do a crossover episode. I loved “The Finder”–was sad to see it canceled. Even sadder to hear of MCD’s passing. Heaven’s gain is surely our loss.

Linda Mersing September 15, 2012 at 10:01 am

Absolutely. Please do a crossover episode. Also find another spot for Geoff Stults. Thanks.He was extremely fun to watch. Find him someone to bounce that humor off…

MJ September 14, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I really enjoyed The Finder .I don’t know why fox would cancel a good TV show.The very sad news of the death of MCD was so surprising .He will be missed.