The Finder: Cancelled; No Season Two

season two of The Finder canceledBones has been a quiet hit for FOX but the same can’t be said for its spin-off, The Finder. FOX has now cancelled the low-rated series after one season.

The Finder is a procedural series that revolves around a man (Geoff Stults) with the extraordinary ability to help people find the unfindable. Other castmembers include Maddie Hasson, Mercedes Masohn, and Michael Clarke Duncan.

The spin-off debuted on January 12th to a disappointing 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.50 million total viewers. It was fourth in its Thursday night timeslot right out of the gate and lost nearly 30% of the all-important demo from its compatible lead-in, Bones. This was not a good start.

Should The Finder have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Things picked up a bit in the following weeks, thanks in large part to the show having FOX’s blockbuster American Idol as a lead-in. Still, the numbers weren’t as high as they should have been.

After seven weeks on the air, FOX put Finder on hiatus and then moved it to Friday nights, giving its Thursday timeslot to Touch. If The Finder could maintain a healthy percentage of its viewers after the switch, it would likely garner a renewal.

But that didn’t happen and Finder’s numbers dropped like a rock. In its first Friday airing, the freshman series attracted a 1.1 demo rating — an episode-to-episode loss of 53% — with just 4.03 million viewers. The numbers for future episodes fluctuated a bit but didn’t really get any more encouraging. The network could do just as well or better by running cheaper reality programming.

The season finale of The Finder is set to air this Friday night and there won’t be any episodes after that. Hopefully the producers saw the writing on the wall early enough and won’t leave viewers hanging with any major unresolved storylines.

What do you think? What went wrong with this show? Why do you think The Finder failed to attract a bigger audience? Was cancelling the series the right decision? How would you have fixed it?

chamman October 4, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Give it a chancee please season two…i used wait for friday like a crazy person …me and ma dad that shows a diverse audience….hes 37 ….

chamman October 4, 2012 at 11:58 am

nooooooooooo… i wanted to see what happened to willa and timo and walterr ya cnt dooo this …all the good programmes are being cancel i think they should carry on ….Because Michael has passed rip they can say he died in the programme willa can cme bck for his funreal … etc there the series can carry on

sam October 3, 2012 at 3:24 pm

im gutted , loved the show , bring it back xx

Barbara Gilbert September 30, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Honestly your reality shows suck – regardless of demographics and ads. The Finder was both fun and full of humanity. Should have kept it for the aesthetics, you can afford it; instead, you sold out for your 30 pieces…

J Lorenz September 30, 2012 at 6:22 am

I’ve been wondering when the season premiere would be, and just found out that The Finder is cancelled–I’m sad and surprised. Give things a chance, Fox. This is a terrific show with interesting characters and an unusual premise. Please rethink this!

chamman October 4, 2012 at 11:59 am

i agree :(

Katie Sullivan September 29, 2012 at 9:51 am

The Finder was my favorite TV show. I am disappointed that it was cancelled, especially considering the end of Season One. However, I agree that Michael Clark Duncan is absolutely irreplaceable, and if the show were to continue, the character Leo Knox would have to have passed away. I really, really wish that it wasn’t canceled! Just because the first season didn’t do well, does not mean the second season will. I really enjoyed this show, almost as much as I enjoy Bones.

Julie September 29, 2012 at 9:50 am

I just started watching The Finder on Hulu. I am addicted! I had heard the show was cancelled, and I have to agree with all of the previous comments about giving the show a 2nd season to allow more people time to become aware of such a great show! It is my opinion that a lot of good shows are prematurely cancelled due to not enough viewers – with so many channels on cable, so many trash reality shows, and the popularity rise of watching TV on the internet at one’s own leisure, those millions of viewers that FOX wants might not even know about the show until near the end of the 1st season! Give these shows another chance – especially The Finder!

Bob Hense in the UK September 29, 2012 at 1:01 am

I just want to say how much I’ve enjoyed The Finder. I’m an avid watcher of Bones and was really taken with the pilot episode of Finder. Like most good series it had a well balanced cast, interesting story lines and was a lot of fun. As others have said Michael Clark Duncan is irreplaceable but I still think cancellation was short sighted as many popular series don’t take off properly in their first run. There is also so much other rubbsh on TV that it’s a great shame to lose something so creative and so different.

james chin September 28, 2012 at 6:42 pm

People rarely watch TV on Friday. It should have been kept at it’s midweek viewing.

BeBe September 28, 2012 at 5:26 pm

What went wrong was that it was sold as a spin-off of Bones. It was a totally different perspective with a totally different demographic. The only thing that linked it to Bones, for me, was my autistic preference for “outside-the-box” characters. People more like me. If I were normal and thought of it as a “type”, I would place it in the same category as Psych. Had they spun it off of Psych, we’d be golden! We’d have two awesome shows with two awesome sets of characters!

sweet September 26, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I like THE FINDER its a great show. I personally think that Tuesday would of been a better night to move the show than Friday. There is way to much going on the schedule in most family to watch it. I think it was a great show. I am tired of TV shows canceling and having to find something new to watch. Most of the newer shows just are not that good. I hope that you decide to re-air on Monday or Tuesday nights

Theodore "Bear" Strommer September 25, 2012 at 3:43 pm

The biggest mistake they could make would be to try to replace MCD.
He and his character are irreplacable.
I think the Bar should have a new owner, possibly an opposite, a woman ?
They need to be creative but it could be accomplished.
I have a lot of idea’s and I’m just a salesman at an electrical supply house.
If given the task, it could be done, I’m sure of it.
The whole idea of the program is original and creative. Don’t let this show and
talented crew be wasted.

Theodore "Bear" Strommer September 25, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I thought the Finder, though a bit far-fetched at times, was entertaining, with a unique plot. The stars were perfectly matched for the parts played. The acting was great.
My greatest fear is that even if the show was brought back, it would be impossible to find someone to replace Michael Clarke Duncan. Even though his character was just a part of the story, it was a big part that will be gone forever, except in reruns.

Robin September 24, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I liked the show “The Finder” a great deal. I really think they set it up for failure with the time slot they put it in. It should have been set for a Tuesday or Wendsday night showing from the very begining. It’s clear if the show is not on stations like ION TV, USA NETWORK, SYFY, TNT, TVLAND, DISCOVERY CHANNEL, SPIKE TV, OXYGEN, ANIMAL PLANET, WE TV or BRAVO then it will not see a 2nd season, 3rd season and so on. I really can’t see bringing it back now since we lost the lovely Michael Clark Duncan …a man that added so much to the show. Who knows maybe they can try it with Ving Rhaines…You never know. :0)

Jesse September 24, 2012 at 9:54 pm

For me, the problem was it started on a Thursday, then it disappeared for several weeks to be on a different night. I noticed all the Fall shows were returning and decided to look up The Finder to find it was canceled. It’s hard to keep up with Fox when they split shows are odd intervals like that!