The Finder: Cancelled; No Season Two

season two of The Finder canceledBones has been a quiet hit for FOX but the same can’t be said for its spin-off, The Finder. FOX has now cancelled the low-rated series after one season.

The Finder is a procedural series that revolves around a man (Geoff Stults) with the extraordinary ability to help people find the unfindable. Other castmembers include Maddie Hasson, Mercedes Masohn, and Michael Clarke Duncan.

The spin-off debuted on January 12th to a disappointing 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.50 million total viewers. It was fourth in its Thursday night timeslot right out of the gate and lost nearly 30% of the all-important demo from its compatible lead-in, Bones. This was not a good start.

Should The Finder have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Things picked up a bit in the following weeks, thanks in large part to the show having FOX’s blockbuster American Idol as a lead-in. Still, the numbers weren’t as high as they should have been.

After seven weeks on the air, FOX put Finder on hiatus and then moved it to Friday nights, giving its Thursday timeslot to Touch. If The Finder could maintain a healthy percentage of its viewers after the switch, it would likely garner a renewal.

But that didn’t happen and Finder’s numbers dropped like a rock. In its first Friday airing, the freshman series attracted a 1.1 demo rating — an episode-to-episode loss of 53% — with just 4.03 million viewers. The numbers for future episodes fluctuated a bit but didn’t really get any more encouraging. The network could do just as well or better by running cheaper reality programming.

The season finale of The Finder is set to air this Friday night and there won’t be any episodes after that. Hopefully the producers saw the writing on the wall early enough and won’t leave viewers hanging with any major unresolved storylines.

What do you think? What went wrong with this show? Why do you think The Finder failed to attract a bigger audience? Was cancelling the series the right decision? How would you have fixed it?

La Petite Morte November 20, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I finally decided to get around to seeing how the Finder was going to deal with the death of Michael Clarke Duncan only to discover that they had canceled the whole thing! BAH!!! I loved the show. It was witty, well-written, had plausible and flawed characters that made you care about what happened to them. I wanted to know what became of Willa and how they got Walter out of jail. I still do!

This has joined the ranks of Brimstone, Firefly, and Freaks and Geeks as a show that was cut off waaaaaaaay before it even had a chance.

BAH AGAIN!!!!

carmenferreiroesteban November 15, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I wish they hadn’t cancelled the Finder. It was a lot of fun and I loved the characters.

carmenferreiroesteban November 15, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I loved The Finder. It has great characters and a good balance of humor and heaviness.

I wish there was a second season.

C Bradberry November 12, 2012 at 3:50 am

My family loved this show. I hate that it’s been cancelled.

Annalisa November 6, 2012 at 2:21 am

me and my family in Italy really enjoy the show; it is the only one we try not to miss every week. I am really sorry to hear that it has been cancelled. Too bad about that, even if I could not think of Michael Clarke Dunkan’charachter being replaced after his prematue death: he was such a great actor and played a very nice charachter

Cori November 5, 2012 at 11:50 am

I loved The Finder. Waited for each new show. I found it clever, funny and loved the characters. So sad it is gone and so sad about Duncan. I really have enjoyed his character and all he brought to it. Loved his acting period. Loved the show!

darla drotar November 4, 2012 at 1:27 pm

The Finder was my favorite new show last season. The Finder was funny, smart and a great cast. I don’t think it was given a chance and wish Fox would reconsider over some of the other mindless shows it airs.

RUTH BORGER November 4, 2012 at 1:19 pm

The loss of “The Finder” TV show is very sad and a boon to bad realty programing. I enjoyed the chactgers and the story lines.

Linda Brumage November 4, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I am so disappointed that The Finder will not return. I don’t think the show was ever given a real chance – especially since it was put on hiatus after only a few epsidoes and then moved to a different night – especiallyFriday. That was a horrible timeslot for a new show that had not had a chance for a folloiwng. I love Geoff Stults and was so happy to see him back on tv. PLEASE give The Finder another shot. I know it will hard to fill Michael Clarke Duncan’s shoes but give the show a chance!!!!!

Timothy Stroesenreuther November 1, 2012 at 6:12 pm

This was honestly my favorite show! I just though I’d check to see when and if it were going to air again and found out it got the boot? This is horrible they need to find a way to have dvr users count because this is complete c***!! I honestly feel like i lost someone close to me. This shows absence will leave a scar :( I will just show my support by purchasing the season!

David October 25, 2012 at 11:16 pm

of course they won’t count viewers like us who record it… why? because they get their money from advertisers, and they know that if you record it you’re not watching commercials

Mccagherty October 25, 2012 at 8:10 pm

We really didn’t know about the show then by accident watched it and looked forward to it weekly , then the final show was on and we could hardly wait to see the follow
Up . We do not think this show was advertised or given the credit due , there is a lot of deep values that were written into this show as well , we will miss it for sure.

Alessandra October 25, 2012 at 9:01 am

My family & me are so sorry The Finder was cancelled. It was original, fresh and new, completely different from most of the tv series with iper- technological detectives!!!! We’ll miss Walter and his fabulous team!

Dianna October 24, 2012 at 11:31 am

I loved “The Finder”. I am very sad that it was cancelled. I admit that I did not watch every week, instead I recorded the series and watched it later. I absolutely loved it. I don’t know what went wrong. I suppose the love interest wasn’t apparent enough in the first few episodes. The unresolved issues that have people coming back the next week were not really apparent or important at first. It developed well, but maybe it was too late.

Eileen Souza October 20, 2012 at 8:57 am

The Finder was one of our favorite shows. My husband and I watched every episode. I don’t think the ratings includes folks who record and watch the shows. We record all the shows we watch so we can watch them when we wish. The ratings need to reflect viewers like us.

We really miss this show!