The Finder: Cancelled; No Season Two

season two of The Finder canceledBones has been a quiet hit for FOX but the same can’t be said for its spin-off, The Finder. FOX has now cancelled the low-rated series after one season.

The Finder is a procedural series that revolves around a man (Geoff Stults) with the extraordinary ability to help people find the unfindable. Other castmembers include Maddie Hasson, Mercedes Masohn, and Michael Clarke Duncan.

The spin-off debuted on January 12th to a disappointing 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.50 million total viewers. It was fourth in its Thursday night timeslot right out of the gate and lost nearly 30% of the all-important demo from its compatible lead-in, Bones. This was not a good start.

Should The Finder have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Things picked up a bit in the following weeks, thanks in large part to the show having FOX’s blockbuster American Idol as a lead-in. Still, the numbers weren’t as high as they should have been.

After seven weeks on the air, FOX put Finder on hiatus and then moved it to Friday nights, giving its Thursday timeslot to Touch. If The Finder could maintain a healthy percentage of its viewers after the switch, it would likely garner a renewal.

But that didn’t happen and Finder’s numbers dropped like a rock. In its first Friday airing, the freshman series attracted a 1.1 demo rating — an episode-to-episode loss of 53% — with just 4.03 million viewers. The numbers for future episodes fluctuated a bit but didn’t really get any more encouraging. The network could do just as well or better by running cheaper reality programming.

The season finale of The Finder is set to air this Friday night and there won’t be any episodes after that. Hopefully the producers saw the writing on the wall early enough and won’t leave viewers hanging with any major unresolved storylines.

What do you think? What went wrong with this show? Why do you think The Finder failed to attract a bigger audience? Was cancelling the series the right decision? How would you have fixed it?

MILO GARDNER June 9, 2013 at 11:59 am

WATCHING THID GREAT SHOW ON NETFLIX CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY SUCH A FINE SHOW WAS CANCELLED. WE HAVE SO MUCH TRASH ON TV THAT KEEPS GETTING RENEWED ITS EMBARRASING. PLEASE FINE A WAY TO BRING THIS SHOW BACK. IT AT THE VERY LEAST DESERVED TO HAVE A SECOND SEASON.

Lindsay June 8, 2013 at 12:37 am

I too had never heard of the show before until seeing it on Netflix. I became extremely obsessive of this show and finished it in two days. It is an excellent show, very intriguing and new. Love, love, loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mitch June 7, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Found it on Netflix ….. Loved it ….. Characters, actors, story lines were great. Very disappointed to see it was cancelled. But, not surprised. So many of the really good efforts get abandoned for the garbage coming out of tinsel town these days.

Anni June 7, 2013 at 8:19 pm

With so much cheap and shoddy TV material out there, I was extremely excited to watch something on TV that really had wonderful story lines. Something that made me believe the TV industry still had some talent somewhere. Then you go and cancel. Why? Do you believe that everyone wants to see smut? Because we don’t. A lot of us want shows just like The Finder. We are starving for good TV. Starving.

www.wiccantogether.com June 4, 2013 at 10:35 pm

It might still be on your desk, but the computer itself has nasty malware about it that
has enslaved it for any bot master’s use. I can still tell which section of the text was written naturally and which was a result of hours of hard labor. If you do find that you simply must enter a sizable city – Your old co-workers are not your friends: If by some chance you happen to run into an old co-worker that you employed to chat to about the daily events and exactly how much you dislike your coworkers, recognize that he no more has an interest in small talk unless it calls for brains or eating people, you can forgo the previous pleasantries and either run or get rid of him.

Chris June 3, 2013 at 2:23 am

The last episode had a great ending. I had thought when Walter smiled at the end that he was being sent into the looney bin with the fake Winston homer. They set up the absolute perfect cliffhanger for the new season and then just cancel it. WTH, bring it back

Chris June 3, 2013 at 2:20 am

I’ve watched the first season and I really liked it. It could really be added on to with new stories and plot twists. The character storylines are still developing and the e cliffhanger with the gypsy marriage needs to be finished and they should rethink the cancellation

Steve June 1, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I like the show very much, but never heard of it until I stumbled across it on Netflix. From what I’ve seen, maybe 7 episodes, the stories are fresh and not formulaic. All of the characters are interesting and well acted. I wish someone like USA could pick up the renewal. I think it is a lot better than ‘Burn Notice’ for instance.

Anonymous June 1, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Just watched it on Netflix and loved it. Can we bring it back?

Roameo June 1, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I totally agree. We just found this show on Netflix & we love it! Wish more people would have had an opportunity to “find” this show. Not many good ones out there!

Onny Neal June 1, 2013 at 5:16 am

I knew nothing of this show, never heard of it until we were scrolling Netflix to find something we never seen or watch. I did not even know this show existed!
Guess what? The Finders was a great finding! We love the show! We watched 3 shows every night and really disappointed it was all gone and no more!
The show is awesome, fun, interesting and we like all the casts in the show, that is very unusual. Each one of them is unique.
This is much better than Bones!, it is very addicting, and I am obsessed with this show!
I don’t even like Bones! It is such a shame you keep the bad ones not this good one.
Fox did not do or very little on promoting this series, it was their fault!!!!
Bring back The Finders! I am not the only one who will be happy, I read the comments!!! Fox, you should too.!

Beverly May 30, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Apparently it’s pretty obvious why …..no one knew about the show…..been watching it on Netflix….absolutely love it!!!

Angel May 29, 2013 at 11:51 pm

I love the show I saw it on netflix recently. In 2 days good show for another season.

Lonecia May 29, 2013 at 2:22 am

I also knew nothing of the show until I saw it on Netflix. I have been watching The Finder obsessively ever since.

Sigh, I knew it would be cancelled, The Finder is too interesting, creative, and just plain good!

Cathy May 28, 2013 at 12:54 am

I loved the show, The Finder, and was really disappointed to find out it was cancelled. It was a great show! Why in the world would Fox do something so stupid?

Ron May 26, 2013 at 9:35 am

I really liked the Bones episode where The Finder was cameoed. However, I did not even know the show existed and thought it was just another episode of Bones. After joining Netfilx recently, I saw the title and clicked on it. I have to say that I am so disappointed in the network for not doing a better job promoting the series. I found the writing creative, substantial, and humorous. The character development and casting was also unique and enlightening, such a fantastic job casting the talent! I enjoy this show much more than I do Bones, and I am an avid Bones fan. So sorry to know that there isn’t going to be another season of this refreshing show…wow.