The Finder: Cancelled; No Season Two

season two of The Finder canceledBones has been a quiet hit for FOX but the same can’t be said for its spin-off, The Finder. FOX has now cancelled the low-rated series after one season.

The Finder is a procedural series that revolves around a man (Geoff Stults) with the extraordinary ability to help people find the unfindable. Other castmembers include Maddie Hasson, Mercedes Masohn, and Michael Clarke Duncan.

The spin-off debuted on January 12th to a disappointing 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.50 million total viewers. It was fourth in its Thursday night timeslot right out of the gate and lost nearly 30% of the all-important demo from its compatible lead-in, Bones. This was not a good start.

Should The Finder have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Things picked up a bit in the following weeks, thanks in large part to the show having FOX’s blockbuster American Idol as a lead-in. Still, the numbers weren’t as high as they should have been.

After seven weeks on the air, FOX put Finder on hiatus and then moved it to Friday nights, giving its Thursday timeslot to Touch. If The Finder could maintain a healthy percentage of its viewers after the switch, it would likely garner a renewal.

But that didn’t happen and Finder’s numbers dropped like a rock. In its first Friday airing, the freshman series attracted a 1.1 demo rating — an episode-to-episode loss of 53% — with just 4.03 million viewers. The numbers for future episodes fluctuated a bit but didn’t really get any more encouraging. The network could do just as well or better by running cheaper reality programming.

The season finale of The Finder is set to air this Friday night and there won’t be any episodes after that. Hopefully the producers saw the writing on the wall early enough and won’t leave viewers hanging with any major unresolved storylines.

What do you think? What went wrong with this show? Why do you think The Finder failed to attract a bigger audience? Was cancelling the series the right decision? How would you have fixed it?

Roger Comstock June 28, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Awesome show, I enjoyed watching it a lot. Just finished the last episode on Netflix, and I really would love to see more. Sadly that will never happen.

Lee C June 27, 2013 at 7:53 pm

I don’t remember ever seeing a show like The Finder, and how many shows can you say that about? Brilliant cast of characters, genuinely something new and different, and it gets cancelled…. typical!! I’ve only just watched the episode in Bones that launched it, but watched the actual show last year. I guess it speaks volumes about the current generation, where thought provoking, entertaining TV, gets left by the wayside, in place of pregnant teens and dysfunctional family shows… so very sad, yet so very common.

Vi June 25, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I agree with the other comments. I love the show! And the thing they did wrong , was not promoted it enough , I also found it in Netflix Not long ago.
It would be a very good idea if they incorporated it in Bones show.
Is a shame they cancel it.:(

Paul June 24, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I also found this little gem on netflix. It’s awesome! I’m so sad they didn’t continue this show.

Paul

Lala June 21, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Netflix needs to pick this show up!! I’ve watched this one season a few times and I’m glad that they did not leave us hanging with a horrible ending. I guess they did a horrible job marketing/promoting the show because I never heard of it until I found it on Netflix.

sue June 21, 2013 at 10:24 am

I also found this on Netflix and loved it. I went searching for it onlinee I am very disappointed it ended

Tami June 19, 2013 at 12:35 am

I can’t believe I discovered this series too late. We found it on Netflix and are so sad it ended.

Jeremy June 18, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I absolutely love this show! It’s sad when good shows like this get cancelled while crazy vampire shows and things like that get so much publicity! Wish someone else would pick it up. GREAT SHOW!!

cece June 18, 2013 at 4:32 pm

The Finder was fast paced, comic, action with witty reparta”. I would love to see Netflix or another cable channel pick it up.
I found it on Netflix and wanted more. I found this site and now I see that due to poor placement and frequent moves consumers were unable to follow it.Too bad I want more!

Alex June 13, 2013 at 9:04 pm

My wife and I found it on netflix n love the Finder wish we could of had more episodes to see.

Dori June 13, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I watched The Finder on Netflix. It should have been shown during prime time on a different night than American Idol. I know Michael Clarke Duncan passed away, but all the other characters are strong enough to carry on the series. I would LOVE IT if you would consider bringing it back. I loved the show and was highly disappointed to find out it was cancelled.

Anonymous June 19, 2013 at 12:29 am

Agreed!

Anonymous June 12, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Loved the show… I agree it should have been on a different day. So many amazing shows are on Thursday . We have to record most shows and watch later. Found The Finder on Netflix and really enjoyed it!

Carole June 12, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Was wacthing a Bones espisode that was the pre- to The Finders. What a great show The Finder was. Too Bad that they did not give it another season. Michael Clarke Duncan died so they would have a hard time finding someone to replace him. Why do the cancel such excellent programs for the ones that are so lax!

Anonymous June 11, 2013 at 8:58 pm

THE FINDER IS ONE OF THE BEST TV SHOWS EVER TO BE MADE!!!!!!!!!!! MY MOM AND I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVE IT. IT PROBABLY DID NOT GET GOOD RATINGS BECAUSE IT WAS SHOWN AT THE WRONG TIME, WRONG DAY, WRONG CHANNEL, OR WASN’T PUT ON NETFLIX SOON ENOUGH. MY OPINION IS YOU SHOULD MAKE A LOT MORE EPISODES. THIS SHOW IS HILARIUS. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! PRETTY PLEASE MAKE MORE EPISODES.

scott June 11, 2013 at 12:58 pm

i too found this show Finder on Netflix, they should have continued the show.

scott