The Finder: Cancelled; No Season Two

season two of The Finder canceledBones has been a quiet hit for FOX but the same can’t be said for its spin-off, The Finder. FOX has now cancelled the low-rated series after one season.

The Finder is a procedural series that revolves around a man (Geoff Stults) with the extraordinary ability to help people find the unfindable. Other castmembers include Maddie Hasson, Mercedes Masohn, and Michael Clarke Duncan.

The spin-off debuted on January 12th to a disappointing 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.50 million total viewers. It was fourth in its Thursday night timeslot right out of the gate and lost nearly 30% of the all-important demo from its compatible lead-in, Bones. This was not a good start.

Should The Finder have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Things picked up a bit in the following weeks, thanks in large part to the show having FOX’s blockbuster American Idol as a lead-in. Still, the numbers weren’t as high as they should have been.

After seven weeks on the air, FOX put Finder on hiatus and then moved it to Friday nights, giving its Thursday timeslot to Touch. If The Finder could maintain a healthy percentage of its viewers after the switch, it would likely garner a renewal.

But that didn’t happen and Finder’s numbers dropped like a rock. In its first Friday airing, the freshman series attracted a 1.1 demo rating — an episode-to-episode loss of 53% — with just 4.03 million viewers. The numbers for future episodes fluctuated a bit but didn’t really get any more encouraging. The network could do just as well or better by running cheaper reality programming.

The season finale of The Finder is set to air this Friday night and there won’t be any episodes after that. Hopefully the producers saw the writing on the wall early enough and won’t leave viewers hanging with any major unresolved storylines.

What do you think? What went wrong with this show? Why do you think The Finder failed to attract a bigger audience? Was cancelling the series the right decision? How would you have fixed it?

John Donaldson December 31, 2013 at 5:00 am

I really enjoyed The Finder. I could have watched 100 episodes. I’m sorry it didn’t do well and was cancelled. I’ve watched the season twice now, once alone, and the second time with my wife who also enjoyed it.

There would be no way to bring it back now that Michael Clark Duncan has passed away.

Kelly November 19, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I have to agree with Rose’s comments. I have watched season one over again on Netflix and enjoyed it even more. I have no doubt that the writers of the show would not have a problem putting together some killer new twists. The tragic loss of MCD will definitely leave a huge void but I would think he would have liked his show to carry on. I was never disappointed in any episode. A re-launch of the show would be greatly welcomed. In a sea of marginal television it is sad to see such excellent writing and acting not being given a chance to reach its full potential.

Jack October 30, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Good TV Series get cancelled these days due to poor PR and time slots given and changed as well as short runs (1 Season). Any show can make it given the correct attention. Look at all the Reality shows and bad TV that are still on. If the TV networks were interested in good TV they would show use by using the right formula. Instead of getting a truly fantastic series that goes 10 seasons or more and potentially a huge cash stream, they do fluff reality shows and bring new series to kill. Ratings are everything. If this had been the attitude of TV in the 50s and 60s we would not have true classics like Gunsmoke, Dick Van Dyke, Hogan’s Heros and the like. Such a sad state for TV. I truly hope someone picks up The Finder as they will have an instant huge viewer base.

Rose October 25, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Why is it that the shows that are good to watch with your children always get cancelled? I watched the show and instantly loved it. It was something I could watch with my family. It was funny and entertaining for all ages. I agree with all who blame the network for not promoting it more. Bring it back! Even with the sad passing of MCD it can work with Walt and Wila. |You could have Leo send Walt a letter asking him to find Wila. Walt and Wila return to find Leo gone. Remember what Walt said to Wila when she was able to find the painter? The writers were great and would make it work if the network would just give them a chance.

MA September 29, 2013 at 1:59 am

Like others, when I thought the show was cancelled because of the tragic passing of Michael Clark Duncan. I was very surprised to find it was because of ratings.

I only found the show by a fluke and because I had not seen a lot of advertisement promoting it.

After I saw the show, I loved it and was a consistent viewer (or recorded it). But when they switched the time I had difficulty following. I also loved Touch, but they switched that to the old Finder time. I was loyal to both, but the network made it difficult to find them. Something else the network didn’t factor in – shows like American Idol are losing ratings. And then there are the non-Idol watchers like me who are less likely to see the Finder.

Note to Fox, way to try to shift blame based on your bad decisions. You should have brought it back. Had it follow Bones (which is the demographic you were trying to reach). And advertised it much better than before. These were great characters and the plots were good (as well as refreshing). Now I know why Finder and Touch didn’t make it. Big mistake on the network’s part.

Riley September 27, 2013 at 12:52 am

I can’t believe they cancelled and still totally left you hanging at the end…. I love Bones but I think this show had more variety… This one really grew on me especially the characters. Dumb choice to cancel!

cyndy j September 19, 2013 at 6:27 pm

put the show on Tuesday nights works for me.

Effie September 5, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Apparently Fox forgot that Seinfeld, one of the most popular series of all times, was a flop the first year. But the network was smart enough to give the show another year to develop the characters and the relationships. Fox did the same thing with the Good Guys, and as with the Finder, if you have the great writers and talent that both of these shows demonstrated, then give them some time. Let the audience develop a relationship; with the characters.

Megaliz September 25, 2013 at 10:51 am

Hello Effie,
I loved the Finder too, are you willing to sign a petition… there is a site I found the blog is old but maybe it can be revived?http://keepthefinder.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/new-attack-front/comment-page-1/#comment-586

koen September 1, 2013 at 11:23 am

I am from belgium, i love this show! I search the net to view for season 2 and i read it is cancelled? Boooooo fox boooooooo!! Best show on air! It is funny, always a good plot,….. . Now we can all watch reruns of Friends again again…..

Jodie August 27, 2013 at 10:30 am

When I saw the show cancelled, I thought it was due to the heartbreaking loss of Michael Clarke Duncan. Now that I know it was due to ratings, I’m completely shocked! This show was absolutely amazing! It was one of the best shows I’d ever been addicted to. Storyline was amazing and the actors were the best! It was hilarious, brilliantly written and immensely stimulating on an intellectual level. If you watched the show once, I don’t know how you couldn’t be captivated and left wanting for more. I know the problem had to lay in the lack of advertisement. No matter how high the quality of any show, product or event, if it lacks good advertising, it’s not going to be successful. I spoke with many people about the show and how incredible it was and highly recommended it & the majority of all I spoke with had never even heard of it as far as the could recall.
Even the poll taken on this article, asking if people felt it should be cancelled, shows 96% right now of voters saying it should never have been canceled. Someone at the network really dropped the ball with advertisement and loss the chance for the network to have a hugely successful hit series.
This show deserves another chance and if the network were to give it that chance and advertise it properly this time, I know that the ratings would be off the chart. Come on Fox! Someone there is making a huge mistake, is completely incompetent and should be let go for screwing up your network success possibilities.

Mareeliza August 26, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Hate loosing the “the Finder “. Enjoyed the series and was hoping to see much more. It had so much potential to grow into something great.

Holly August 14, 2013 at 1:01 am

I loved this show it was great. It really kept you interested inhospitable he solved things and it was fun. I think reality shows are stupid, we all have to live in it. TV is supposed to be an escape, not more stress. Bring back the show.

steve August 2, 2013 at 12:49 am

It was a great show, great storyline and awesome cast. As another has said, I think it was lack of promotion. I absolutely hated it ending. A lot of great shows end and replaced with shows I do not want to see. The finale was terrible. I so wanted to see another season. Although the terrible loss of M. Duncan would have left a role hard to fill, the story had all the potentia to go for much longer.

rhu July 30, 2013 at 3:39 pm

“The network could do just as well or better by running cheaper reality programming.” This is everything that is wrong with entertainment these days. With the amount of crap reality shows on TV I’d consider getting rid of cable altogether before ever watching any of them.

Jackie November 22, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I agree! The Finder was entertaining and stimulating, while the reality shows are annoying and anything but real. FOX seems to have a habit of making really bad choices. There needs to be a shake up in personnel!

amyjo July 30, 2013 at 8:59 am

i really think it was fox that dropped the ball here. The story lines were great! !!!The actors were wonderful! They should have done more to promote the show! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!