The Firm: Exiled to Saturdays; Cancelled?

The Firm canceled on ThursdaysNBC has cancelled the Thursday airings of their low-rated legal series, The Firm, and sent it packing to Saturday nights at 9pm beginning February 11th.

The Firm follows attorney Mitch McDeere (Josh Lucas), his wife Abby (Molly Parker), and their daughter Claire (Natasha Calis), as they emerge from the witness protection program after 10 years. They relocate to Washington, DC to restart their lives but problems from the past quickly resurface. The show’s cast also includes Callum Keith Rennie, Juliette Lewis, Tricia Helfer, and Shaun Majumder.

NBC had high hopes for the legal drama but it stumbled in the ratings right from the start. The two-hour premiere of The Firm registered just a 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.32 million viewers. The numbers got even worse once the show moved to Thursday nights and, for the past two weeks, has only mustered a 0.8 rating with fewer than three million total viewers.

It’s no surprise that NBC is banishing The Firm to Saturday nights with ratings like these. Grimm repeats will fill the Thursdays at 10pm timeslot for the immediate future. Starting March 1st, the peacock network’s new drama Awake will take over.

While it looks highly unlikely that NBC will purchase a second season of The Firm, it seems certain that viewers will get to see all 22 episodes of season one.

If The Firm had been a typical network show, the episode order probably would have been cut down to 13 installments because of the low ratings. However, NBC’s deal for The Firm is unique and a bit more like the one the network had for Merlin, the supernatural drama produced by the BBC.

Sony and Entertainment One partnered to produce The Firm, primarily for the overseas market. Thanks to pre-sales and Canadian production tax credits, the cost of producing the series was already paid for and NBC was able to pick up the show for a greatly reduced licensing fee, just like any other secondary buyer.

If The Firm had been a big success, NBC would have made quite a profit on the series. As things worked out, the network may still be making some money on the deal or at least hasn’t lost much.

Will there be a second season? That depends on Sony and Entertainment One, not NBC.

What do you think? Do you like The Firm? Do you think it should continue?

Canceled and renewed TV show

894 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Jazz says

The Firm in one of my favorite shows – it’s unique plot line ssets it apart from most crime dramas. Please DO NOT cancel this show.

2. Tiffany says

The Firm is one of the best dramas I’ve seen in awhile. I don’t see any reason to tune intoNBC anymore for the dramas. They have nothing worth watching anymore.

3. Firm believer says

Please please make season 2,3,4,5,6…happen. We enjoy the **** wife series too and last time we enjoyed a Legal series was the original LA Law! But this, The Firm, is one, if not the best, legal tv series out in this 21st century.

4. Anonymous says

I love The Firm. It has great actors, good suspense leaving you waiting for the next show. Please don’t cancel…..

5. Michelle says

I love the Firm so please don’t cancel. I have been waiting for the new season to start, it will be a big disappointment if I don’t get to see more. LOVE the FIRM

6. says

I liked the show, even though at times, it was hard to follow. I would have liked a “closure” episode or two. Great actors and good plots! What can be done? Maybe the cable idea was a good one. My sister and I would watch.

7. Kay says

Wbat?!! Cancel The Firm??!! No way! It was the best new show on last season! Up against old shows, it was the best show period. Bad time slots, but I ways raced home for it. Please keep it going!

8. Trixietab says

Please reconsider new season of The Firm. It was an awesome show. Don’t let us viewers hanging to know what happens with the cast members in the show. all are great actors and actresses. Let’s see some new episodes the fall. :)

9. Fran LeClere says

Please please don’t cancel my favorite show!!! I looked forward to it every week!! Drove my husband nuts saying, “is it on yet, is it time yet???” loved it!!

10. Fan says

I agree – big mistake in cancelling the show. I was looking forward to its return in the Fall and believe that NBC should seriously reconsider as many people with whom I’ve spoken have enjoyed the sequel every Saturday.

11. CeCe says

This is a good show but got a raw deal on their time slot. One of the best series I’ve seen in a long time. Big mistake in canceling it.

12. Farmer says

Keep a good show. Not much advertizement, so I picked it up accidentally after it had been moved to Saturday. Where will the next installments be?