The Firm: Cancelled, No Season Two?

No season two of The Firm on NBCIt’s been a rough road for Mitch MicDeere. Now, it’s come to an end — at least on NBC. The Firm has been cancelled after one season of 22 episodes.

The Firm picks up years after the young attorney (Josh Lucas) made his deal with the mob to take his old crooked law firm down. He and his family have come out of hiding but their problems haven’t gone away. The show also stars Molly Parker, Callum Keith Rennie, Juliette Lewis, Natasha Calis, Tricia Helfer, Martin Donovan, Shaun Majumder, and Paulino Nunes.

The series represented one of NBC’s biggest launches of the season but it misfired right from the start. The two-hour premiere brought in a dismal 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with just 6.32 million viewers.

When The Firm moved to its regular timeslot on Thursdays a few days later, the numbers got even worse. Week two dropped 29% in the demo and the ratings kept falling in subsequent weeks. After hitting an embarrassing low for a primetime show — a 0.8 demo rating with 2.97 million viewers — NBC sent it packing to Saturday nights.

Would you like to see season two of The Firm?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The numbers have been awful since that move — even for a Saturday night show. It’s frequently outperformed by movies and crime drama reruns on the other networks.

To date, The Firm has an average of a 0.7 rating in the demo and 2.10 million viewers. On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo success of shows on the network, the show has a “D-” grade — even after low viewership is taken into account.

On the positive side, NBC’s deal for The Firm is unique and a bit more like the one the network had for Merlin, the supernatural drama produced by the BBC.

Sony and eOne partnered to produce The Firm, primarily for the overseas market. Thanks to pre-sales and Canadian production tax credits, the cost of producing the series was already paid for and NBC was able to pick up the show for a greatly reduced licensing fee, just like any other secondary buyer.

Not surprisingly, The Firm won’t be back on NBC (according to TVWise) because the network has opted not to renew its deal with Sony and eOne. The series could continue to be produced for other markets however and even possibly be picked up by a cable channel here in the US. There’s been no word on the show’s fate beyond NBC so, for now, we’ll have to wait and see.

There are 22 episodes in the first season of The Firm and tonight’s marks the 17th. Right now, the finale is slated for June 23rd. If a second season isn’t going to be produced, hopefully the last episode will supply enough closure for the few million faithful viewers who’ve kept watching.

What do you think? Are you sorry that NBC isn’t continuing the show? Would you watch on another channel or purchase season two on DVD?

Cynthia October 28, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Someone plEASE pick up The Firm!! This was a great show with a great cast!! Should not have been cancelled!!!!!!!!

Scott October 25, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Disappointed on the cancellation. I really liked the show & couldn’t wait to watch another. After ’24′ wrapped up a couple of years ago, I have been looking to fill a void with an exciting action drama and was hoping this was it. Also watched ‘The Event’….another good show cancelled. I wish more than a year would be given for some of these shows. It’s like trying to manage in the NBA.

Faithful viewer October 24, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Loved the series and recorded and watched all 22 chapters. Too bad it’s gone and leave viewers with no ending. Maybe someone else will pick it up and give us Season Two.

Minh October 23, 2012 at 11:19 pm

My husband and I were really looking forward to season 2. What a bummer. I hope another network picks them up!!! Love that show!!

Magali Mena October 23, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Gee how could NBC do that to me and my boy-freind we are in love with the MicDeer family, and we purchased the whole 22 episodes and we were looking forward in the new 2nd season, and now NBC cancelled on us, I think this is so unfair.

Magali Mena

Evilroy October 22, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Its’s too bad that America’s viewing public are so infactuated with reality tv shows. Really, Swamp People; Duck Dynasty; Hillbilly Handfishing!!! Give your head a shake folks. For those who hate that crap there is not a lot to watch unless its sports. The Firm was a great show. Maybe the ratings were so low because the idiots who scheduled the show tried airing it too late and/or on an evening which had a lot of sports, like Saturday night. Bring it back! Who cares about how the Cardasians or the Osbornes spend there day? Some network should get their head out of their ass and bring back The Firm!!!!!!!!

Anonymous October 22, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I’ve been looking forward to seeing this show! I’m in love with the MicDeer family. I’m hoping another network will put on this show!

CJ October 22, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Hated it being on Saturday night but taped and watched every episode. Would defineity look at another season. Been watching every week for it to start!

FERNANDO October 22, 2012 at 8:50 am

THIS IS REALLY BULLSHIT!! THIS SHOW IS BETTER THAN MOST THEY HAVE ON NBC!!! GET RID OF THE B/S SHOWS LIKE THE REALITY SERIES YOU GUYS HAVE ON AIR!!!

Anonymous October 21, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Shame on NBC ! Maybe if the did a better job plugging the show, it would still be on!

McDeer October 22, 2012 at 8:57 am

AGREED!

Pam & Jamie Meyers October 21, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Love this show!! So sad to see it go!! Would definitely have loved watching going forward.

Cassie October 21, 2012 at 6:00 pm

OMG! I can’t believe they have cancelled it. I loved this show!!! I’m so upst right now.

Gayle October 21, 2012 at 4:38 pm

luv the show. seemed confusing at first with the flip flop back and forth in time. BUT after watching a few episodes in a row GOT HOOKED!! Sad to hear it will not be back. GREAT cast!!

jennifer October 19, 2012 at 6:50 am

miss this show :(

Bash Bunza October 19, 2012 at 3:21 am

My wife and I love this show, the firm reminded me of the justice due the firm is the best so far, I’m sad when I heard NBC canceled it, the Quetion here is how I’m I going to tell me wife that there’s no season two ? NBC why?