The Firm: Cancelled, No Season Two?

No season two of The Firm on NBCIt’s been a rough road for Mitch MicDeere. Now, it’s come to an end — at least on NBC. The Firm has been cancelled after one season of 22 episodes.

The Firm picks up years after the young attorney (Josh Lucas) made his deal with the mob to take his old crooked law firm down. He and his family have come out of hiding but their problems haven’t gone away. The show also stars Molly Parker, Callum Keith Rennie, Juliette Lewis, Natasha Calis, Tricia Helfer, Martin Donovan, Shaun Majumder, and Paulino Nunes.

The series represented one of NBC’s biggest launches of the season but it misfired right from the start. The two-hour premiere brought in a dismal 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with just 6.32 million viewers.

When The Firm moved to its regular timeslot on Thursdays a few days later, the numbers got even worse. Week two dropped 29% in the demo and the ratings kept falling in subsequent weeks. After hitting an embarrassing low for a primetime show — a 0.8 demo rating with 2.97 million viewers — NBC sent it packing to Saturday nights.

Would you like to see season two of The Firm?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The numbers have been awful since that move — even for a Saturday night show. It’s frequently outperformed by movies and crime drama reruns on the other networks.

To date, The Firm has an average of a 0.7 rating in the demo and 2.10 million viewers. On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo success of shows on the network, the show has a “D-” grade — even after low viewership is taken into account.

On the positive side, NBC’s deal for The Firm is unique and a bit more like the one the network had for Merlin, the supernatural drama produced by the BBC.

Sony and eOne partnered to produce The Firm, primarily for the overseas market. Thanks to pre-sales and Canadian production tax credits, the cost of producing the series was already paid for and NBC was able to pick up the show for a greatly reduced licensing fee, just like any other secondary buyer.

Not surprisingly, The Firm won’t be back on NBC (according to TVWise) because the network has opted not to renew its deal with Sony and eOne. The series could continue to be produced for other markets however and even possibly be picked up by a cable channel here in the US. There’s been no word on the show’s fate beyond NBC so, for now, we’ll have to wait and see.

There are 22 episodes in the first season of The Firm and tonight’s marks the 17th. Right now, the finale is slated for June 23rd. If a second season isn’t going to be produced, hopefully the last episode will supply enough closure for the few million faithful viewers who’ve kept watching.

What do you think? Are you sorry that NBC isn’t continuing the show? Would you watch on another channel or purchase season two on DVD?

Fiona April 4, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Please!!!!!! Bring it back! I really like these series! It is one of the best!

Ann April 3, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Please bring back “THE FIRM”. I love the show and the actors.

Kate March 29, 2013 at 3:31 pm

This was the most exciting program on TV! I looked forward to it every Saturday night! I didn’t know it was cancelled. Not remembering what time frame it was in, I’ve been looking for season 2 to appear at some point. Very disappointed. All these other shows are good – they’re entertaining – but THE FIRM had action and thrills in a one hour block. Loved it!

Stsh March 29, 2013 at 1:54 am

Please, please, please bring back the firm! It’s one of the most interesting show ever! Twisting your mind out yet made you anxious about what’s gonna happen in the next episodes :-)

Jackie March 28, 2013 at 6:58 pm

This was one of the most exciting shows, just like 24, it had you on the edge of your seat. I must admit that I taped all the shows and just started watching and them I grew to be a big fan, an OH my what big blue eyes the star has.

Al March 28, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Wtf!!!!! First the event. Now firm.

Anonymous March 25, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Bring back the show

Sm March 23, 2013 at 11:25 am

I would love to see more seasons!

Anonymous March 21, 2013 at 12:05 am

Why do you always base ratings only on the 18-49 demographics? They are not the only ones who watch TV. What about those of us who are over 50? It seems that every new series I enjoy gets canceled because someone younger than me doesn’t like good TV. Why do you always cancel the good shows? Bring it back already! I still have not removed my DVR instructions to record all of The Firm’s shows.

ann davis March 20, 2013 at 3:52 pm

bring it back any station no more court house drama or medical stuff being cut up

ann davis March 20, 2013 at 3:49 pm

you keep all the med stuff killing and cuting up people but drop other good drama

theFirmfan March 20, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Damn…I loved this show.It’s not fair !!! They definitely HAVE TO put The Firm back on.

DANNY GARDNER March 18, 2013 at 11:07 pm

BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!
Dumb to put on for 22 episodes and trash it

CT March 15, 2013 at 1:01 am

I have just finished all six discs of season one from Netflix and I LOVE the show!!!!!! I LOVE all the actors in it, the storyline……… It’s a shame the show is not popular for the general viewers. I WANT the show back, wherever the station or network.

Mae March 14, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Please bring back the 2nd season of the Firm, I love the show and the actors.