The Firm: Cancelled, No Season Two?

No season two of The Firm on NBCIt’s been a rough road for Mitch MicDeere. Now, it’s come to an end — at least on NBC. The Firm has been cancelled after one season of 22 episodes.

The Firm picks up years after the young attorney (Josh Lucas) made his deal with the mob to take his old crooked law firm down. He and his family have come out of hiding but their problems haven’t gone away. The show also stars Molly Parker, Callum Keith Rennie, Juliette Lewis, Natasha Calis, Tricia Helfer, Martin Donovan, Shaun Majumder, and Paulino Nunes.

The series represented one of NBC’s biggest launches of the season but it misfired right from the start. The two-hour premiere brought in a dismal 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with just 6.32 million viewers.

When The Firm moved to its regular timeslot on Thursdays a few days later, the numbers got even worse. Week two dropped 29% in the demo and the ratings kept falling in subsequent weeks. After hitting an embarrassing low for a primetime show — a 0.8 demo rating with 2.97 million viewers — NBC sent it packing to Saturday nights.

Would you like to see season two of The Firm?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The numbers have been awful since that move — even for a Saturday night show. It’s frequently outperformed by movies and crime drama reruns on the other networks.

To date, The Firm has an average of a 0.7 rating in the demo and 2.10 million viewers. On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo success of shows on the network, the show has a “D-” grade — even after low viewership is taken into account.

On the positive side, NBC’s deal for The Firm is unique and a bit more like the one the network had for Merlin, the supernatural drama produced by the BBC.

Sony and eOne partnered to produce The Firm, primarily for the overseas market. Thanks to pre-sales and Canadian production tax credits, the cost of producing the series was already paid for and NBC was able to pick up the show for a greatly reduced licensing fee, just like any other secondary buyer.

Not surprisingly, The Firm won’t be back on NBC (according to TVWise) because the network has opted not to renew its deal with Sony and eOne. The series could continue to be produced for other markets however and even possibly be picked up by a cable channel here in the US. There’s been no word on the show’s fate beyond NBC so, for now, we’ll have to wait and see.

There are 22 episodes in the first season of The Firm and tonight’s marks the 17th. Right now, the finale is slated for June 23rd. If a second season isn’t going to be produced, hopefully the last episode will supply enough closure for the few million faithful viewers who’ve kept watching.

What do you think? Are you sorry that NBC isn’t continuing the show? Would you watch on another channel or purchase season two on DVD?

Bobby Stephens November 24, 2013 at 11:00 pm

The Firm was one of my most favorite books to read, I was so glad when they made a show out of it. I loved this show I hate it has been canceled. Why do all the good shows get canceled so fast. The story line was great and it keep you wanting to see more. I love the firm wish it was not canceled

Ken November 19, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Not living in America I recently bought the DVD set of Season one. I just finished it and enjoyed it very much. I’m surprised it didn’t get good ratings. I would definitely buy a season 2 DVD set.

moses November 15, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Very interestin and full of suspense… Pls someone should sign dis movie cos i cant wait to see the season 2.

Mrs. Booker November 11, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I am a late viewer but I just caught wind of this show while in Europe and after only seeing one episode bought the first season on iTunes. I’m addicted and very disappointed there is no season two. I would definitely watch it on another channel and/or buy the dvd for the following season. Please someone pick up this show.

Zanele November 5, 2013 at 11:37 am

I loved the show. Would have bought both seasons if available.
Best show ever.

Daniel October 26, 2013 at 6:00 pm

The Firm is the top 3 tv series I’ve ever watched! You need to have an eye for details when watching The Firm and that’s why I think the majority of the people don’t like it. You have to listen carefully and to concentrate when watching it and people are too lazy to do that.
NBC or some other company should sign a new contract and make season 2 for us!

Josh September 19, 2013 at 4:17 pm

The Firm is a great show! NBC needs to bring it back

Mandy September 17, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I LOVED The Firm! I am so disappointed that it has been cancelled. Great story and even better suspense. Josh Lucas made the show!

Amelie September 16, 2013 at 4:36 am

Best tv series ever! I was hooked from the strat and very dissapointed that i wont get to see season 2!! NBC must hring it back.

saleeh sadeeq September 12, 2013 at 7:14 am

Men! What a disappointment the firm is the best series movie I ve watched recently and am impressed by movies easily. NBC pls bring it back.

Stacy September 7, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I can’t believe they canceled it. The firm is a great show. Sometimes it takes over a year for people to even see the show. It never had a chance……………

Chris Arvidsson August 31, 2013 at 11:00 am

Please season 2, come back!

bethany August 1, 2013 at 11:03 pm

I had no idea the dvd set i got would end the way it did, i didnt know it was canxelled after the first season. If it had been advertised better i would have watched it when it was on tv. I am soooo upset now that i was left hanging with the series.

robert bardi July 18, 2013 at 10:25 am

i would buy season two on dvd if available in a heartbeat

Ade nurillah July 11, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I love The Firm very much….good series!