The Following: Season Two Renewal from FOX

following season twoTo no surprise, FOX has renewed The Following for a second season. The Kevin Bacon crime drama is currently the network’s highest-rated scripted series.

Here’s the press release from FOX:

HOT FROM FOX…

FOX ORDERS A SECOND SEASON OF HIT DRAMA “THE FOLLOWING”

FOX has ordered a second season of the year’s most thrilling new series THE FOLLOWING, it was announced today by Kevin Reilly, Chairman of Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company.

“From the very beginning, we felt Kevin Williamson and Marcos Siega had created a high-quality, edge-of-your-seat drama that could break from the pack, and it is exciting to see the audience responding,” said Reilly. “Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy have given us two of the most compelling characters on television and the entire cast is incredible. I’m delighted to have this thrill ride continue on FOX for another season.”

After only six airings, THE FOLLOWING is already the No. 2 broadcast drama and the No. 3 drama overall this season with Live+7 ratings. Since it launched, the psychological thriller has also quickly established itself as one of the most buzzed-about series in social media, ranking as the No. 1 new broadcast drama in total social comments.

In tonight’s all-new episode (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), Joe Carroll (James Purefoy), with the help of attorney Olivia Warren (guest star Renee Elise Goldsberry), makes a case against Ryan (Kevin Bacon) and the FBI to be transferred to a different facility, but Ryan suspects a larger plan may be at play. Meanwhile, Emma (Valorie Curry) and Joey (Kyle Catlett) arrive at a meeting point and come across another follower who has a secret of his own.

The full-throttle drama continues with nine all-new episodes airing Mondays (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

THE FOLLOWING is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Outerbanks Entertainment and Warner Bros. Television. The series is created, written and executive-produced by Kevin Williamson. Marcos Siega (“Dexter,” “The Vampire Diaries”) also serves as an executive producer and directed the pilot. “Like” THE FOLLOWING on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheFollowing. Follow the series on Twitter @TheFollowingFOX and join the discussion at #thefollowing.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that The Following will be back next season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

43 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

I am a big fan of the followihg and am thrilled to hear it was renewed for another season. I am a dedicated follower of the show and will watch it as long as it is on

2. A Fan says

Please do not cancel this show! I do not watch TV during the week, but this show keeps me coming back week after week. My husband and I are hooked! Love it.

3. Anonymous says

love the show its so over the top and all the turns keep me on the edge of seat. I hope fox does not drop this show

4. Tim says

As a watcher in the UK I can’t believe this was renewed. This show is absolutely ridiculous! I keep watching to see how far the writers can mess a show up. I certainly didn’t want to see a second season of the most far fetched, inept, stretched and stupid plot known to the TV world! Crazy!

5. Nick Alvis says

I am a Kevin Bacon fan and James Purefoy is an excellent actor. I was compelled to watch the show since the opening night, but after watching last night’s episode I’ve decided Fox has once again push all the buttons. In the earlier show the young girl kills her mother, because she belittles her in front of her friends. The show without a doubt glamorizes the act of killing someone…..shot, stabbed, tortured, set on fire everything the weak minds in America need another dose of. Last night we get a dose of Sado masochism and the young man who basically begs Purefoy to take his life, because he failed him and to the delight of his leader he is granted his wish. With the widespread serial killings this country has experienced, do we really need this show that puts murder in the light of a art form. I don’t have a clue where this cult’s future episodes will take it, but looking at the no restraints given, there’s a good chance that someone in this perverted group will preform some sex act with an animal. You were right, the show does indeed keep you on the edge of your seat, but at what expense?

6. Mona says

As spokesperson for television anonymous, here are my thoughts. ..I Knew Zero Hour would not make it and that’s a shame because its better than Red Widow..which I do not expect to last. The Following I like but is very one sided. Zero Hour had a bad time slot for a new show which is where Red Widow is finding itself, up against heavy hitter The Mentalist on CBS and even The Client List on Lifetime which is even better than Red Widow!

7. SNAPPS says

I’ve been pleased with The Following on primetime and now it’s going to get a second season. I mainly watch primetime and there’re plenty of awesome shows but it can be impossible to record them all. I don’t like having to choose one over another or my annoying timer conflicts. I work evenings at DISH so I have no choice but to record my events. I rely on my DISH Hopper DVR, which allows me to get the 4 major networks recorded nightly using the PrimeTime Anytime feature during primetime hours. No more timer conflicts and I get all my shows and more making me happy.

8. Mc says

Was good when it started but becoming to far fetched bad guys always winning makes it
    To one sided Not fun to watch anymore .

9. Marion says

At last something different and exciting. Anything with James Purefoy is well worth watching, he is my dream man, absolutely gorgeous!!!

10. Anonymous says

The following is the best show ever created! I watch the episode on monday nights then re watch it on Tuesdays!

11. Rena Moretti says

What are they talking about?

The Following is beaten by practically everything on CBS!!!

Also Live+7 ratings are irrelevant as networks sell Live+3 ratings.

The Following was a so-so rater that went down since its premiere. What do they think will happen? That people will somehow start to watch it because they renewed it?

FOX desperately needs to find actual hits, not renew flops.