The Following: Season Two Renewal from FOX

following season twoTo no surprise, FOX has renewed The Following for a second season. The Kevin Bacon crime drama is currently the network’s highest-rated scripted series.

Here’s the press release from FOX:

HOT FROM FOX…

FOX ORDERS A SECOND SEASON OF HIT DRAMA “THE FOLLOWING”

FOX has ordered a second season of the year’s most thrilling new series THE FOLLOWING, it was announced today by Kevin Reilly, Chairman of Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company.

“From the very beginning, we felt Kevin Williamson and Marcos Siega had created a high-quality, edge-of-your-seat drama that could break from the pack, and it is exciting to see the audience responding,” said Reilly. “Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy have given us two of the most compelling characters on television and the entire cast is incredible. I’m delighted to have this thrill ride continue on FOX for another season.”

After only six airings, THE FOLLOWING is already the No. 2 broadcast drama and the No. 3 drama overall this season with Live+7 ratings. Since it launched, the psychological thriller has also quickly established itself as one of the most buzzed-about series in social media, ranking as the No. 1 new broadcast drama in total social comments.

In tonight’s all-new episode (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), Joe Carroll (James Purefoy), with the help of attorney Olivia Warren (guest star Renee Elise Goldsberry), makes a case against Ryan (Kevin Bacon) and the FBI to be transferred to a different facility, but Ryan suspects a larger plan may be at play. Meanwhile, Emma (Valorie Curry) and Joey (Kyle Catlett) arrive at a meeting point and come across another follower who has a secret of his own.

The full-throttle drama continues with nine all-new episodes airing Mondays (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

THE FOLLOWING is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Outerbanks Entertainment and Warner Bros. Television. The series is created, written and executive-produced by Kevin Williamson. Marcos Siega (“Dexter,” “The Vampire Diaries”) also serves as an executive producer and directed the pilot. “Like” THE FOLLOWING on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheFollowing. Follow the series on Twitter @TheFollowingFOX and join the discussion at #thefollowing.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that The Following will be back next season?

Rebecca Johnson May 6, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Fantastic, Love The Following!

Julie May 5, 2013 at 9:42 am

I can’t agree more with Winkster. If if weren’t for Kevin Bacon, the show would not have been renewed. I watched all season hoping it would get better, hoping that I would care about the characters. Never happened. What a waste of a great actor.

Deborah May 3, 2013 at 11:26 am

soooooo happy the following is returning for another season….love this show!

pmammy May 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I love this show. Try to guess how every show will turn out. I am happy a second season is coming.

Carl May 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Glad to see it is coming back. Is he dead or not….

Shutyourdogup April 30, 2013 at 11:48 pm

I totally agree with winkster. I also wanted this series to succeed. With the likes of Bacon and Purfoy it looked so promising . The acting by these two guys as well as the rest of the cast really wasn’t enough to save this scripting turdball. Shame on the writers! This was predictable, boring, and at times somewhat silly to watch. Oh well ,hang in there Kevin. Go to work and try to get through season 2. ARRGH!

Jack May 4, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I agree…watched every episode. The ‘good guys’ alway do obviously stupid things.Stabbed in the stomach,hit over the head with a wine bottle—-still keeps on ticking.
I won’t be watching season 2

Kate Fredericks April 30, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Gee, Winkster, hate much? I am thrilled to see at least one of my favorite shows is coming back! James Purefoy was absolutely phenomenal as the protagonist, Joe. Playing off of the oh-so-very-talented Kevin Bacon was artistic joy. Natalie Zea is amazing in The Following AND Justified (another excellent RENEWED show!). It’s been a pretty good year for really good shows and networks and cable that finally see it, too! Looking forward to Ryan and Joe’s next face off (because those of us who love a good thriller just know that Joe and Ryan both lived to fight another fight!) Yayyyyyyyyyy for good shows finally getting through the cancellation net!!!

pugmommy68 April 30, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Glad it is going to return. Watched it from the beginning. Wonder where it is going to go from here.

Cindy April 30, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Wonderful show, can not wait to see more.

Lea April 30, 2013 at 7:52 am

I love this show I cannot wait to see what happens to the couple next with them both be stabbbed will they live? I can’t wait see you next season.

Jill April 29, 2013 at 10:21 pm

This is a great series. A lot to discuss with friends and family. I really enjoyed it! Thank you, Jill

tracy April 29, 2013 at 10:11 pm

I didn’t used to care about watching TV, but I live for this show!

libby April 29, 2013 at 6:23 pm

this show isn’t that great with the same drama week after week, with the cult, kill this guy already and the girl, and get on with something new and exciting, there are more murders ,kill this joe dude off already.

Gwen April 29, 2013 at 2:06 pm

OMG…. thank you…. thank you…. thank you.. I am such a big fan and GLAD to know that the show has been renewed. Last time I watched Fox was when the show 24 was on air. You have bought me back Fox!!!!

Winkster March 28, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Let me start by saying that I truly wanted this show to succeed, partly because I think Kevin Bacon’s a good guy and partly “just because”.

Unfortunately this show has proven to be absolutely awful in almost every respect. AWFUL and completely implausible script. Ridiculous dialogue, ridiculous situations, ridiculous characters’ responses to other characters’ words + actions. Nothing about this dud is credible, NOTHING.

I realize that “there’s no accounting for taste” and that everyone is entitled to their opinion yada yada yada, but anyone who not only likes this worthless POS but also calls it “the best” is someone who has no taste whatsoever for TV & film at a bare minimum, and possibly for life in general.

I’ve joked with some of my other TV/film geek friends that we should start a drinking game for the show, where instead of rolling your eyes or groaning “ugh” at every cringe-inducing line that’s delivered you have to drink. Everyone I’ve proposed this to has had more or less the same reaction: that you’d die of alcohol poisoning before any episode was even half over.

It’s simply not possible for anyone with a brain to think that The Following is even in the same universe as a Breaking Bad or a Mad Men or a Homeland, let alone in the same league. There ARE differences between these shows people, very, very profound differences. Script matters. Dialogue matters. Story arc matters. Casting matters. Acting matters. The Following is so horrendously awful at virtually ALL of these (except maybe for Bacon, who does his best to keep this turd afloat) that it should be taught in tv/film school as an example of what NOT to do. I’m actually 100% serious about that.

So no, this 2nd season renewal news is not good news at all. Label me a hater if you must but this show truly sucks ass.