the forgotten: Disappointing Ratings for Christian Slater; Cancel It or Keep It?

the forgottenWhen Christian Slater’s TV series, My Own Worst Enemy, was cancelled last year it seemed a bit unlikely that the actor would return to the medium any time soon. Some film stars have made the journey to television in the past and, when the shows failed, they haven’t been too quick to return. But Slater hopped right back into the fray and has a new show for ABC, the forgotten. So, will this one stick around longer than the last one?

the forgotten revolves around a group of dedicated civilians that form The Forgotten Network. Led by Alex Donovan (Slater), the team donates its time to identify unrecognizable murder victims, trying to “give back the name of the deceased.” The show also stars Michelle Borth, Heather Stephens, Bob Stephenson, Anthony Carrigan, and Rochelle Aytes.

With a title that just invites snarky headlines, forgotten was skewered by many critics before the show even debuted. By and large, most viewers weren’t all that impressed either.

The series debuted on September 22nd to a decent 9.53 million viewers and a 2.6/7 rating/share among adults 18-49. While those numbers seem pretty good, upon closer examination, they aren’t all that positive.

Should the forgotten be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

the forgotten’s lead-in, the very popular Dancing with the Stars, scored 16.28 million and a 3.9/10 in its last half hour. The first half hour of forgotten attracted only 10.14 million and a 2.7/7. That means that the Slater drama lost over 40% of its total lead-in audience and 33% in the demographic. What’s more, 12% of people who started watching forgotten turned it off half way through the premiere. That’s a sure sign that those people wouldn’t be back the next week.

And they didn’t return. In week two, the forgotten’s numbers dropped by more than 1.8 million viewers to 7.72 million. In the all-important demographic, the show’s ratings dropped from a 2.6/7 to a 2.0/5, a loss of 23%.

TV show supportAs of last night, things seem to have evened off a bit. For week three, forgotten attracted 7.81 million viewers and a 2.0/6. Though it’s positive that the ratings didn’t drop for a second time, these numbers are not healthy. forgotten ranked in a distant second place for total viewers (beating the under-performing Jay Leno Show) and third place for the demo (almost tying Leno).

Unless these numbers turn around, the forgotten’s days on the schedule are certainly numbered. ABC ordered 13 episodes to start and could pull the show or prematurely cut production. But, even if all 13 are finished and aired, it’s highly unlikely that ABC will order any more.

What do you think? Is this show worth watching or is it best left forgotten (sorry, too hard to resist)? Would you cancel it or keep it?

steve smith February 27, 2010 at 11:53 am

Please cancel this show as quickly as possible. The shows (writing, acting, etc.) is just plain awful. I can’t belive you added 5 more shows. What a waste of an hour of prime time tv.

Angie February 15, 2010 at 6:51 pm

LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!! I HOPE THEY DONT CANCEL IT,IT’LL BE A BIG SHAME IF THEY DO. IT KEEPS HOPES UP HIGH THAT SOMEONE OUT THERE REALLY CARES ABOUT COLD CASE, OUR JANE OR JOHN DOE’S . THIS SHOW IS A KEEPER I WATCH IT ALL THE TIME AND ALSO RECORD IT.

S.D. December 30, 2009 at 11:55 am

THE FORGOTTEN IS ONE OF 2 SHOWS I NEVER LOOK AT THE CLOCK TO SEE WHEN THE HOUR IS UP. IT HOLDS MY ATTENTION THE WHOLE TIME AND I ALSO RECORD IT SO I CAN WATCH IT AGAIN. I DON’T WANT TO FALL ASLEEP WHILE IT IS ON, AND SO FAR I HAVE NOT. PLEASE DON’T CANCEL IT.

Jessica December 18, 2009 at 3:19 pm

I absolutely love this show….if it gets cancelled i might have to wite my first hatemail…it’s a cop dama thats not a cop dama it’s diffeent and original and has a great cast and an amazing unique twist with the forgotten network itself in that they’re voluntees. they’re not doing it to get paid, they’e doing it because they want to help people and they do. Not to mention the way the victim is the narrator is just unbelievable. it’s gut-wrenching listening to this peson who died and they had a life and they just wanted to fix a relationsuhip or find his daughter and look at them now. It’s a whole different way of looking at a crime and maybe give people in this day and age a real sense of what it’s like to go through these crimes and how cruel it really is to harm someone. Also, the cases they undergo are also different in that they are never cliche in any way, but instead resemble real life situations that happen all the time and aren’t shared on CNN. These everyday crimes killing everyday people ending they’re lives for they’re own selfish reasons. It’s ridiculous how people can just kill someone else so easily, and this show actually portrays that instead of some hyped up, impossible hollywood crime case. I also love the fact that ordinary people who agree to help and aren’t forced to by a subpeona showing people that hey if people help out maybe some of these killers could actually be taken of the streets. Also, it shows how cops screw everyone’s life up when they admit to things that help investigations but have nothing to do with them and that investigation should be kept private unless they are actually committing the crime and can’t get arrested or ruin their family and careers if they help solve this crime. Most cases aren’t ever solved BECAUSE it’s cops investing and they’ll aest someone fo doing something when it has nothing to do with the case fo admitting to it so that they can help find the murderer. This show shows some of the flaws with ou police department and tries to help out and it might actually help out the way real people and cops do investigations so we can acuatally solve some of these missing people cases and murders and what not. I just really like this show lol.

C December 13, 2009 at 3:58 pm

I love Christian Slater and think the network is lucky to get him. I loved his previous series also. I think the forgotten is new and fresh and timely. I would much rather watch that then some of these moronic comedies or reality shows. Keep the forgotten cancel Leno.

Annie Booker November 14, 2009 at 4:32 am

Oh please, no romances between the characters. If I want romance I’d watch soapies. it’s great the way it is. Pairing up characters is what caused Without a Trace to get axed. I want this show to stay on the air not get axed.

Julia November 14, 2009 at 4:00 am

i love this show! Its a defo keep! Its very interesting. The only improvement I would make is I would’ve liked more drama with the actors like a romance maybe? And also the little flashbacks from the victims could be a bit clearer than i would be more intrested.
By I do hope this show continues. I do love it a lot.

Carol November 10, 2009 at 11:19 am

I wasn’t so sure I liked it that much after the first show, even though I love Christian Slater, but I persisted and now have watched them all and I really do like it after all.

So often I invest in a show and then they pull it and I hate that, but I’m sticking with this one until the end and it’s all because of Christian Slater. There is just something about him. I hope it hangs in there.

I really liked My Own Worst Enemy, though, and that was pulled. I like the different shows, though, and they often get pulled. Like Moonlight, I loved that show and it didn’t make it, and Jericho left a little too soon. I’m so tired of the typical crime shows like the CSIs, L and O, Cold Case etc. The Forgotten is kind of like Cold Case, and yet so different.

Angela November 9, 2009 at 6:00 pm

I love this show! It’s a different take on your typical cop drama and having CS as the lead doesn’t hurt either! ABC should give this one a chance to gain an audience, like at least a second season! Too many shows these days are cut before they find their audience, when it used to be networks kept things around a couple of years, then the show took off. Look at M.A.S.H! (I know, that was a long time ago, but the theory is the same!)

Denise November 9, 2009 at 8:31 am

I really enjoy this show. I tuned in for my Christian Slater fix, an obsession I’ve carried for way too many years, but find I really like the show. I like the dynamic between the characters, the mysteries each week, and the potential for really good material with the back story of Alex’s missing daughter and the tension with his ex-wife. I really hope ABC starts promoting this show and gives it a chance. I have never seen a commercial for it, and I watch ABC shows pretty regularly, so that tells you something! They could catch a lot more of that “key demographic” if they flashed some Slater during the shows that do well.

Annie Booker November 6, 2009 at 4:31 pm

I love the show. I’m a long time forensics buff so this show has really captured my interest and I love the team interactions. I really hope they keep it. I haven’t missed an ep.

Jan November 4, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Aw, I love this show, I hope it stays on the air! Whoever said it wasn’t promoted it right- no wonder no one watches it. It’s ABC’s own fault.

Anonymous November 4, 2009 at 12:10 am

frak don’t cancel it. just watched railroad jane. i find myself like this show more and more.

Kelly November 3, 2009 at 9:20 pm

THIS SHOW IS GREAT AND CHRISTIAN IS A GREAT ACTOR…it has crime, it has humor, it has emotion….DONT CANCEL IT !!!!

Sandra Robles November 3, 2009 at 9:17 pm

I love this show please don’t cancel!!! I would want a team like this looking for me I was Forgotten!!!

Sandra~