the forgotten: ABC Pulls Christian Slater Series, Is It Cancelled?

the forgottenAfter a disappointing run, ABC has decided to prematurely end the forgotten’s freshman season. Is the Christian Slater TV show being cancelled?

Airing on ABC, the forgotten follows a group of talented civilians who work together to find missing persons once the police have reached a dead end. The series features the talents of Slater, Michelle Borth, Heather Stephens, Bob Stephenson, Rochelle Aytes, Anthony Carrigan, Judith Hoag, and Lily Rains.

The show debuted on September 22nd and attracted a 2.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 9.54 million viewers. It lost a large percentage of its lead-in and 12% tuned out before the episode was over. The second installment of the forgotten fell significantly and the rest of the season has been averaging just a 1.7 rating 6.49 million viewers.

Last week, ABC announced that they were preempting the March 16th installment of the forgotten in favor of a FlashForward recap show. Now, they’re pulling the March 23rd episode as well. Next week’s installment, “Donovan Doe,” is the episode that was originally scheduled for the 23rd and may well wrap up the season.

TV show supportConsidering the poor ratings, the series is very likely to be cancelled and won’t be back for season two. It also doesn’t seem likely that they’ll get around to airing the remaining two episodes anytime soon, if at all.

What do you think? Should ABC find a way to air the remaining two episodes? Should the series be cancelled? Where did the forgotten go wrong?

Canceled and renewed TV show

179 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Donna says

I really liked this show, and if it is going to be cancelled, we should get to see the last two episodes. Christian Slater is awesome.

2. Betsy says

I love love love love this show. It is well written and the cast is fantastic. Please give it another chance. I will be so bummed if you cancel this series.

3. Katherine Hooks says

I have been looking for The Forgotten show in the TV Guide and went on line to find
    out what happened. I am very disappointed. I loved the show and looked forward
    to see what happened to each person. All the actors were wonderful.
    Please bring the show back.

4. Edward Thomas says

The Forgotten was well written and kept my attention. Christian Slater is a great actor and the supporting cast were equally so. It was a clean and wholesome program. There are people who still enjoy good entertainment. Bring the show back!

5. D & D says

Please bring back The Forgotten, we found it to be one of the more interesting new shows. We kook forward to it’s return

6. ELLA says

It sad that this show was cancell. it was an interesting show that really theirs not one i can think that it realtes to this subject. Like NCIS is dedicated to the marines, Law in order special victim is main topic is rape. Soo the unforgotten had a god topic that you could watch with 12 yrs old.

7. says

it’s been cancelled! I don’t watch very much network TV but when I do ABC cancelles the good one’s Forgotten , Boston Legal, no wonder I’m watching more and more cable re-runs!!!!!

8. kgdzine says

I’m not a fan of television as a whole (ya, I know, boo me) but I have to say I took a strong liking to “Forgotten” … definitely a fan of Christian Slater. Was curious to know why it wasn’t airing anymore. Now I know. It’s a disappointment to say the least.

I think there are many shows out there with similiar content. That said, competing with reality t.v. and all of the CSI’s can be stressful on the producers and actors. What struck me about “Forgotten” was it seemed more realistic than any other show. More heartfelt. Having civilians work together to find missing people after the police stop investigating (for whatever reason) comes close to home.

9. Anonymous says

i loved the show . its so sad that so many good shows r being put on and then taken right back off some of the best shows to air in a long time. and in fav of theses annoying “realaity shows” . really? what has happened to tv? morons being put on over real acting? idiocy over art? if i wanted to wittness this crap i would stay in tune with life rather then tune in to tv – where i can make belivie that not everyone is stupid.

10. amy says

Truly sad that they cancelled this great show! I agree with Ted, must not have had enough sex to stay on the air! It was one of the good shows that I could sit down and watch with my 12 year old. There aren’t a whole lot of shows like that left on TV.

11. ted says

I don’t watch much tv, however this was my favorite show. I finally had one I enjoyed and they took it away. It should definitely come back. I guess it wasn’t sinful enough to stay on the air.

12. jesse lynn says

I am bummed. I thought the forgotten was a really good show. I loved how the dead person talked and then the end,showing us what really happened. It seems to me, only sexually immoral shows. Stay on the air. The forgotten was a great one

13. marcia says

loved the show and am very disappointed that it may be done….not sure it was given enough publicity….the people I’ve told about the show had not heard of it….Cold Case is a show I would compare this one to but find this concept much more interesting….its difficult to say what makes a program successful….there were a lot of twist and turns to this program that kept my interest…..