The Game: Has BET Really Made a Deal for Season Four?

The GameSee the 4-14-10 update here.

Last May, fans of The CW’s sitcom, The Game, were upset to learn that the sitcom had been cancelled after three seasons on the air. Though there was some resolution in the last episode, it was hardly satisfying enough for devoted viewers. The web has recently been abuzz with news that the show is coming back but can you believe it?

Created by Mara Brock Akil, The Game began as a spin-off of the long-running comedy, Girlfriends. The series centers around a first year medical student (Tia Mowry) who chooses to follow her pro-football boyfriend (Pooch Hall) to San Diego. Others in the cast include Brittany Daniel, Coby Bell, Wendy Raquel Robinson, Hosea Chanchez, and Barry Floyd.

Even before the show was cancelled by the CW, there was talk about the possibility of Black Entertainment Television (BET) picking up the show for a fourth year. The cable-channel has been playing the sitcom repeats and the show fits in with their other programming.

In July, Mowry told TV Guide, “[BET chairman and CEO] Debra Lee is trying everything and anything to make this happen. The Game gets higher ratings than BET’s original programming, and we’ve heard there would be a huge marketing campaign. So I personally believe the show would be taken to another level.”

Would a reduced budget/cast version of The Game be worth watching?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Unfortunately, there’s been little word of any real progress since then. Last week, rumors started circulating that a deal had been struck between BET and the show’s studio, CBS Television. Unfortunately, they turned out to be false.

Last night, Mowry put the rumors to rest. Via her Twitter account, she wrote, “I am so sorry to tell you this, this whole THE GAME thing getting picked up is NOT true! After talking to agents lawyers etc it is not true.” A deal may still happen but, for the moment, there isn’t one.

When or if a new deal is made, it remains to be seen how it would work. The contracts for the cast and creatives have lapsed so new ones would have to be negotiated. Because BET has less money to spend, they’d likely have to take pay cuts.

On top of that, some of those involved with the show have also moved on to other projects and may not be available. Hall is working on CBS’ new sitcom Accidentally on Purpose, Mowry has several projects in the works, and Akil is part of ABC’s new Cougar Town comedy with Courteney Cox Arquette.

What do you think? Would a fourth season of The Game be worth watching if the budget had to be cut and not all of the principals were involved?

Trish January 2, 2011 at 8:09 pm

1/11/2011 NOW, THAT’S WHAT UP

JD January 1, 2011 at 8:10 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE “The Game” I have watched all of the episodes so many times but they all still capture my attention as if it is my first time viewing the show! I will definitely support the fourth season….Pooh and Hosea are sooo fine!

ms TEE January 1, 2011 at 1:33 am

I LOVE THE GAME AND THE WHOLE CAST …..THANK U THANK U BET MUAH!!!

nikeisha aguillera December 25, 2010 at 9:23 am

I love the game. I personally think that Melanie and Derwin is the best couple starring. I hope the writers do something with Derwin baby story, he should of been having it with Melanie not with Jenae. I am looking forward to many great episodes. Hope the show stick around some more. Just loving the game………………..!!!!!!!!

Christal December 20, 2010 at 8:45 pm

The Game is my favorite show can’t wait til next get here. It’s a great show to watch with the family from a hard day or night of work. I have bout every episode so please keep bring the game on!!

Anonymous December 20, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I love the show!!!!

ShermandaBellsora December 17, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I am ecstatic! I think that I am going to have a gathering at my place the night that it airs. I love Derwin & Malik. You guys are so fine! I admire the whole cast. I pray for a successful season as well as longevity. I expect nothing but the best from the BET.

charlettabrown December 16, 2010 at 10:08 am

i believe that the game on bet needs to be back no matter what happeneds i love , love the game.

curleen Le'Andre November 27, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Can’t wait 4 january 11 to reach.

curleen Le'Andre November 27, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I am from Trinidad but my favorite tv show is the game. Thank u BET 4 bringing back that show. That show deals with real life issues. I love Melany & Derwin.

Kristen November 18, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Gloria, is this for real? Learn to use correct grammar. I don’t think anyone will hire you if you can not use proper english.

gloria pope November 9, 2010 at 11:35 pm

i like to be on the game show we all have a new show and jan sometime i am 38years old i dont smock or drugs at all can your give me a get to show your i can do the job.can i play like kelly step -sister plasese email me soon .i will wait on all.bet.com the game plasese save the job for me .thank you.

britney November 4, 2010 at 8:23 pm

i cant wait till it comes on im so excited

Meechie November 1, 2010 at 8:43 pm

So “The Game” is definately coming back! I’m soooooooooo ready for this to premiere. I have almost everyone I know hooked on this show, and they were so upset when the show was cancelled. Thankfully, it was just a brief cancellation, and B.E.T did a smart business/beloved move in putting it back on the air. PLUS! They have have all of the same producers, writers, and actors. That is always a great thing because I would not ONE thing to change on that show. Getting off topic, I have always been the BIGGEST fans of Tia and Tamera —including there lil’ bro TJ– and I’m 17 yrs old now so lol; the entire family have the best personalities and talent with the physical beauty to match. :) Regardless, of the negativity (in which they, out of all people/celebs, do not deserve) they are the BEST-est!

P.S. Can you believe that they are 31 yrs old?!

Here’s a fantastic interview of the both of them talking about personal life and “The Game” (link): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD221tw72aM

temicka October 27, 2010 at 8:51 pm

i love the game i watched it all the time i was so have to hear that the show was coming back i cant wait to watch it again