The Game: CW Cancels Sitcom, Still Hope for Season Four?

The GameTo very little surprise, the CW has cancelled one of its few remaining sitcoms, The Game. Is this the end for the series or could it still return?

Created by Mara Brock Akil, The Game began as a spin-off of Akil’s long-running comedy, Girlfriends. The series centers around a first year medical student (Tia Mowry) who chooses to follow her pro-football boyfriend (Pooch Hall) to San Diego. Others in the cast include Brittany Daniel, Coby Bell, Hosea Chanchez and Wendy Raquel Robinson.

The first sitcom to debut on the CW network, The Game averaged 2.3 million viewers in season one. For season two, the ratings dropped to 2.07 million and a .96 rating in the 18-49 demographic. This season, it’s fallen to an average of 1.68 million viewers and a tiny 0.7 rating in the demo, in part because it was given a Friday night timeslot.

The CW is essentially getting out of the sitcom business and has cancelled The Game after 64 episodes. There had been talks about changing the show’s format to an hour-long dramady, to make it more compatible with the network’s other programming. That was seen as a long-shot at best and actually would have created its own set of challenges for syndication.

Though The Game only has 64 episodes, BET recently signed a syndication deal to air the first two seasons and season three will be added this Fall. To increase the show’s number of episodes, there have been discussions between the cable channel and CBS (the show’s studio) about co-funding original episodes. The deal would likely come with some cost-cutting measures.

There’s been no further word on the potential deal with BET so, as of right now, “The Wedding Episode” is the series’ last.

If The Game isn’t rescued from cancellation, are you satisfied with the way the sitcom ended — with Melanie and Derwin finally getting married?

Canceled and renewed TV show

942 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Mercy says

The Game is the best show on TV, please dont stop here. I love the drama and the lessons from the Game. Please come back

2. Bernice says

You this was a great show, it seem you always cancel the really great shows, girlfriends was canceled, the hugleys, The game, and lots of others, I just miss them, and I LOVED the game, please bring it back, it did not end well we still don’t know what happen with Kelly and Jason, and Melanie and Derwyn, ehhhhhhh

3. Nadia says

Please bring the game back. The show deals with real life issues and the power of forgiveness. I love Derwin and Melanie and it is important to see them overcome and pervail in the end.

4. Tasha says

I would love to see The Game come back. It was one of the few shows I can enjoy on tv now. Enough with the reality shows and teen vampire shows. Give grown people something to watch!!

5. Anita says

I hope, they will keep this show, since i don’t look at one life to live or those soap operas anymore this has become my soap for the day. I hope all the characters would stay on. I would love to see what happens between Jason Pitts and Kelly. I was sooo hoping they would get back together. I am a big fan of Stacy Dash. What ever happens am still hoping for the show to return.

6. Lori says

This show needs to stay. I love it and it is so real, its like the stupid reality shows. Im a white woman and I so love this show. Watching Derwin and Mel, although Im in love with Derwin..lol…its really just a great show!!!

7. APRIL says

I Love the tv game and that the show come be it ended to soon and it should be more to the show and wedding was last show. so please come on now new shows please.

8. GRETCHEN says

PLEASE HAVE ANOTHER SEASON OF THE GAME !! THE SHOW WAS VERY INSPIRING HOW TWO PEOPLE WHO OVER CAME ALOT OF OBSTACLES AND WHAT REALLY MATTER THE MOST WAS THE LOVE THEY HAD FOR EACH OTHER. I LIKE THE SEASON FINALE, BUT WE NEED TO SEE HOW THE MARRIAGE WITH MELANIE AND THE NEW BABY, WILL JASON GET BACK WITH KELLY? PLEASE COME BACK.

9. natalia says

there has to be another season! There’s nothing else to watch on tv but reality shows and white/rich folks drama. We need comedy sitcoms back! I must know what happens between kelly and tashas friendship and what happens between kelly and jason! So not satisfied with the “last” episode!

10. bre says

uhmm i think it needs to come back. that was one of my favorite show ever, & how are you gonna cancel it after a wedding , BRING IT BACK!

11. Diamond says

ANOTHER Season.!! I Want To C How Their Marriage Works Out N If Jason N Kelly Gets Bak Together cuz They Shuld.!! I Like How The Derwin N Melanie Part Ended But I Dont like How The Way The Kelly N JAson Part Ended So YES Please Another Season.!!

12. lee says

I do watch the show, however the sexual nature is too much. I think the show is embarrassing. They portray african american as people who sleep around and like being involved in drama. The show could have been so much better, if not for that. Yes we all like to see drama, but it was too much on that show.

• Shonda says

Lee, why are you on this site commenting if you’re not for the game. This show doesn’t represent all african american people and lets be real who would watch the show without drama. I love this show and would appreciate if you stay off this site if you’re not positive! I think you really like the show but you are trying to be dramatic yourself! I hope I didn’t offend you!