The Game: CW Cancels Sitcom, Still Hope for Season Four?

The GameTo very little surprise, the CW has cancelled one of its few remaining sitcoms, The Game. Is this the end for the series or could it still return?

Created by Mara Brock Akil, The Game began as a spin-off of Akil’s long-running comedy, Girlfriends. The series centers around a first year medical student (Tia Mowry) who chooses to follow her pro-football boyfriend (Pooch Hall) to San Diego. Others in the cast include Brittany Daniel, Coby Bell, Hosea Chanchez and Wendy Raquel Robinson.

The first sitcom to debut on the CW network, The Game averaged 2.3 million viewers in season one. For season two, the ratings dropped to 2.07 million and a .96 rating in the 18-49 demographic. This season, it’s fallen to an average of 1.68 million viewers and a tiny 0.7 rating in the demo, in part because it was given a Friday night timeslot.

The CW is essentially getting out of the sitcom business and has cancelled The Game after 64 episodes. There had been talks about changing the show’s format to an hour-long dramady, to make it more compatible with the network’s other programming. That was seen as a long-shot at best and actually would have created its own set of challenges for syndication.

Though The Game only has 64 episodes, BET recently signed a syndication deal to air the first two seasons and season three will be added this Fall. To increase the show’s number of episodes, there have been discussions between the cable channel and CBS (the show’s studio) about co-funding original episodes. The deal would likely come with some cost-cutting measures.

There’s been no further word on the potential deal with BET so, as of right now, “The Wedding Episode” is the series’ last.

If The Game isn’t rescued from cancellation, are you satisfied with the way the sitcom ended — with Melanie and Derwin finally getting married?

Yvette August 8, 2010 at 2:47 pm

The Game was my favorite show I think that it should return there’s still soo much to know and find out. I really don’t know why all the sitcoms are being takin away

Nani August 4, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THIS SHOW AND THINK IT SHOULD COME BACK… IT IS SO GREAT! I REALLY WANT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!!!!! PLEASE COME BACK!!!!

Leelee August 2, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I agree with QC, I love this show too. PLEASE!!! Bring it back!!!

sabrina July 20, 2010 at 1:21 pm

This isn’t right we all want the game back . Its my favorite show .

Presly July 15, 2010 at 6:55 am

i really love the game. pls pls pls we all need to know the how it really ends. pls bring the game back.

anonymous July 15, 2010 at 6:19 am

Ok so hopefully someone who could actually do something about this reads it; well this show needts to come back on with the original actors; I need to know if melanie and derwin stay together or if the stress of derwin having to be with his son at random times going to get melanie mad and make her feel so alone that she will seperate from derwin; I also need to know if kelly and jason actually go through with the divorce or do the make up? Also do kelly and tasha make up? Do tasha and rick get married? What happens with malik and pucci? So many un answered questions! We need the show to come back on its so entertaining and different I love it honestly if you guys maybe moved it to a monday tuesday or wednesday you’ll have better ratings. Because truth being said hardly anyone is home fridays. Well please help us bring this amazing show back on I promise you you’ll have many many happy fans and viewers; hey I’m watching reruns on bet and just feel like I’m stuck in time I need the show to come back!

Anonymous June 29, 2010 at 4:08 pm

i am sooooo thrilled that BET is bringing The Game back in January!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ooh soo disappointed June 28, 2010 at 9:39 am

they should atleast make an episode showing if the baby is actually derwins or if jason and kelly will reunite also will malik ever find love or will tasha and rick get married there is just too many unaswered questions dont just leave us hanging because this will turn us away from sitcoms all together thinking they will all end like this

Anonymous June 25, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I love the Game. I am very excited about the come back. I hope Janay’s baby is not
Derwin’s. The Game and Girlfriends are my favorite shows.

QC June 17, 2010 at 4:39 pm

I can’t wait until this show returns this is my favorite show. Please bring this show back!

Teebutt June 6, 2010 at 11:13 am

Please bring this show back. I’m not understanding why it was being canceled. We have so much to find out…I’m so ready for the next season and I hope at least 3 more.

africa edwards June 2, 2010 at 6:02 pm

i dont know how the ratings dropped because it is the best show in years if you ask me it is better than girlfriends because the things on there relate to more of everyday life ,it might just be me but i want to see kelly and tasha work out there diffrences and kelly and jason get back together and see mealiane and dewrin marriage work out or is janay going to interfer ,i dont know why all tv shows stop when its just getting good

MARIA June 1, 2010 at 10:11 am

I AM SO TRIED OF RERUN GERATIFICATION, CAN YOU PLEASE DO SOEMTHING. AT LEAST A REUNION SHOW. FIRST GIRLFRIENDS THAN THE GAME , GIVE ME A BREAK.

Carolyn Williams May 31, 2010 at 6:05 pm

I am so anxious for Season 4 of “The Game” that I can hardly wait. I love this show and it is one of my favorites. I have Seasons one and two on DVD and I will get Season three then it comes out in early July. I am the show’s number one fan. It is so great to see African-American families portrayed in a positive way. I am so sick and tired of ghetto-stricken and drug selling families in the “hood”. This shows the positive side of African-American living with both comedy and drama. The Melanie-Derwin couple is the bomb. After all they have been through, they deserve a happy ending.

a.huffman May 31, 2010 at 9:17 am

i love the game, please bring it back, it’s the best show ever