The Game: Is BET Reviving the Cancelled Sitcom for Real This Time?

The GameSee the 4-14-10 update here.

We’ve had plenty of rumors over the past year about The Game and now we have another one. Has BET made a deal to pick up the cancelled sitcom for real this time?

The Game began as a spin-off of the long-running comedy, Girlfriends. The series centers around a first year medical student (Tia Mowry) who chooses to follow her pro-football boyfriend (Pooch Hall) to San Diego. Others in the cast include Brittany Daniel, Coby Bell, Wendy Raquel Robinson, Hosea Chanchez, and Barry Floyd.

The series was cancelled by The CW after three seasons on the air. Even before the cancellation was announced, there were rumors that BET might pick it up and produce new episodes.

In September, news surfaced but nothing happened. In October, there were more rumors but nothing happened. Then, in November, the cast reunited on The Mo’Nique Show. Promos showed the host asking the cast if The Game was coming back but that portion was edited out of the actual show.

Can we believe it this time?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Now, BVBuzz is reporting that BET has made a deal with Paramount to produce new episodes. Their source said, “The deal is done between the two networks. Now it’s a matter of getting the actors under contract again.” When the show was cancelled last Spring, the actors’ contracts expired.

The contracts are reportedly expected to be finalized in the next couple weeks. The only snag might be Bell, who recently signed on to join the cast of USA’s Burn Notice. It sounds like he’ll still return to The Game but won’t be a series regular.

Series creator Mara Brock Akil is expected to return as well. Once the deal is finalized, production is supposedly scheduled to begin in May in Atlanta.

While the new details sound very promising, we’ve all been fooled before. The difference is that, this time, the actors seem to be talking about it as well. Hall, tweeted a message that said, “Hey @hoseachanchez have u heard? I know I didn’t hear what I think I heard? Hey girl @TiaMowry did you hear? I’ll say THASSWASSUP! Finally!”

Mohry responded to him by writing, “ummmm yes sir!!! Uh oh… That’s wassup aka Derwin Davis. Let’s go!!!” Later, she thanked her readers for their continued devotion to The Game and encouraged them to tell BET how much they love it.

So, it seems like it’s really happening this time, though the actors haven’t signed contracts yet. Hopefully that will go smoothly and we’ll hear an official announcement soon.

What do you think? Are you still skeptical? Do you think it’ll really happen this time?

yolanda! September 21, 2010 at 7:06 pm

I Love, Love, Love this show and the entire cast! It’s a shame to take such a well deserve show off of television that produces great ratings!!! I don’t understand!?! Isn’t that what it’s all about? Bring back “The Game” and You will get back you ratings! Tarsha Mack…. Black America miss you most of all girl!!!

roxyb September 21, 2010 at 1:29 pm

please bring the game im addicted to it everyweekend i watched i never get sick up….
thats whatsssssssssupppppp

tshell September 20, 2010 at 8:46 pm

i got my popcorn and chips ready yall

Shoe Diva September 20, 2010 at 1:35 pm

YES!!!!! PLEASE BRING THAT SHOW BACK!! We are dying to see what’s in store

shasha September 18, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I really want ot believe it but we will no what’s up in May if its really true! BET need to stop playing with folks and start production already!

alexus September 17, 2010 at 8:19 am

I love this show with a passion i sit in class and act out all my favorite episodes, this show inspires me to be an actress and helps me deal with my everyday life. I cant wait for the new episodes to come back on air next year. I cant wait to see malik i am hosea’s biggest fan infact his b’day was september 12th so i wish him a happy belated birthday well i love you all cast AND I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING MORE OF YOU GUYS

Tammy September 16, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I really love this show. Would really like to see a new season . I look at this show every
day, it’s a winner on my list of TV preograms!!!

Tawanna September 14, 2010 at 9:05 am

I love this show and would love to see it come back but of.they are.looking for extras I’m the girl

JaneSays September 10, 2010 at 7:23 pm

It is about time! I LOVE this show and keep watching the same re-runs over and over again. The acting is so refreshing and so unlike that of most dramadies – all of the characters are relatable and there are SO many unfinished stories to be told. I’m a 40-year old woman who is hooked on this show and I really hope they are bringing it back. Can’t quite imagine not having Jason’s sardonic wit around more though but any appearances by him would be better than none! (Fingers firmly crossed…)

Liz September 8, 2010 at 11:23 am

OMG OMG OMG!!!! I hope that its true that the show will be back cause how the hell you gonna leave us all hanging like this????????? I mean what happens with Kelly and Jason I mean I think Stacy Dash is cool but I want Kelly and Jason back together lol. Oh and I wanna see what kinda Baby Momma Drama Derwin and Janay have LOL!!! I love love love the show. I hope there not B-S’n us and get the show crackin. :)

Michele Upshaw September 6, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Would like a chance to get a role in season three does anyone know how to go about trying for an extra role or any avialable role heard they are looking for some new carehacters to add to the show.

wanna-boo September 6, 2010 at 10:18 am

omgggggg i love this show i love tasha and jason….imma miss jason but i kove this show im watchin it right now for the labor day weekend …….i got to see if kelly n jason work it out if that baby is derwin’s and if melanie finally becomes a great doctor if derwin gets bck on the team for good if ric fox an tasha gets back together its too many un-answered questions so it has to come back plz comeon BET. thank u.

Aria September 3, 2010 at 6:11 am

I love this show and i hope they put it back on

sharee September 1, 2010 at 4:16 pm

omg so when is the new episodes cummin on??? im so ready for it.. i gota see how dis marrige is…

lilly wairimu August 26, 2010 at 5:10 am

i really loved that show.plz BET bring it back .