The Game: Is BET Reviving the Cancelled Sitcom for Real This Time?

The GameSee the 4-14-10 update here.

We’ve had plenty of rumors over the past year about The Game and now we have another one. Has BET made a deal to pick up the cancelled sitcom for real this time?

The Game began as a spin-off of the long-running comedy, Girlfriends. The series centers around a first year medical student (Tia Mowry) who chooses to follow her pro-football boyfriend (Pooch Hall) to San Diego. Others in the cast include Brittany Daniel, Coby Bell, Wendy Raquel Robinson, Hosea Chanchez, and Barry Floyd.

The series was cancelled by The CW after three seasons on the air. Even before the cancellation was announced, there were rumors that BET might pick it up and produce new episodes.

In September, news surfaced but nothing happened. In October, there were more rumors but nothing happened. Then, in November, the cast reunited on The Mo’Nique Show. Promos showed the host asking the cast if The Game was coming back but that portion was edited out of the actual show.

Can we believe it this time?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Now, BVBuzz is reporting that BET has made a deal with Paramount to produce new episodes. Their source said, “The deal is done between the two networks. Now it’s a matter of getting the actors under contract again.” When the show was cancelled last Spring, the actors’ contracts expired.

The contracts are reportedly expected to be finalized in the next couple weeks. The only snag might be Bell, who recently signed on to join the cast of USA’s Burn Notice. It sounds like he’ll still return to The Game but won’t be a series regular.

Series creator Mara Brock Akil is expected to return as well. Once the deal is finalized, production is supposedly scheduled to begin in May in Atlanta.

While the new details sound very promising, we’ve all been fooled before. The difference is that, this time, the actors seem to be talking about it as well. Hall, tweeted a message that said, “Hey @hoseachanchez have u heard? I know I didn’t hear what I think I heard? Hey girl @TiaMowry did you hear? I’ll say THASSWASSUP! Finally!”

Mohry responded to him by writing, “ummmm yes sir!!! Uh oh… That’s wassup aka Derwin Davis. Let’s go!!!” Later, she thanked her readers for their continued devotion to The Game and encouraged them to tell BET how much they love it.

So, it seems like it’s really happening this time, though the actors haven’t signed contracts yet. Hopefully that will go smoothly and we’ll hear an official announcement soon.

What do you think? Are you still skeptical? Do you think it’ll really happen this time?

Canceled and renewed TV show

118 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Dee says

I CAN’T WAIT NEITHER YHALL, I’M A HUGE GAME FAN, I WANT TO SEE TASHA, MAILIK, DARWIN, MEL, JASON AND KELLY THOSE ARE MY PEPS!!!!!!!!!!! THIS SHOW IS ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVS LIKE GIRLFRIENDS…..COME ON PEOPLE WE HAVE TO MAKE SURE WHEN THE SHOW RETURNS WE SHOW OUR SUPPORT AND WATCH BET THE BETTER THE RATINGS THE MORE EPSODIES AND SEASONS TO COME IN THE FUTURE…..GAME FAN 4 LIFE :0)

2. says

The Game was a great success t bad viewers didn’t see that when they where on WB, but it’s ok new year new network success is a must welcome back I will b watching…

3. Pam says

Hey I love the game I’ve been waiting for so long for it to come back. The game was so great when it was on please hurry back on and I wish that kelly and jason will get back together and tha that baby by the rooky is not his

4. Blanca says

THE GAME BRING IT BACK!!!IT’S REAL, FUNNY, SWEET, SAD, HAPPY IT HAS ALL THE INGREDIENTS OF LIFE! WATCHED IT ALL THE TIME EVEN GOT MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY TO WATCH!!!! WE ARE ALL WAITING & WILL KEEP SUBMITTING TIL BET BRINGS IT BACK !!! LOVE THEM ALL GIRL MELANIE N D ARE MY FAV! NEED THEM BACK!!!! PRONTO!

5. Anonymous says

PLEASE BRING THE GAME BACK !!!!!!!!!! WE REALLY LOVE THE SHOW !!!!! MT WHOLE FAMILY WATCH IT !!!!!! LETS BRING IT BACK I THOUGHT IT WAS COMMING BACK IN OCT. FOR THE NEW YEAR LIKE 2011 I NOW THE RAITINGS WILL BE HIGH CAUSE I HAVE A BIG FAMILY AN ALOT OF FRIENDS BET U CAN REALLY MAKE THIS HAPPEN SO LETS DO IT

6. KELLY says

I CANT WAIT I LOVE DAT SHOW IT IS OFF DA CHAN I LOVE IT CUZ EVERY EPISODE WOULD LEAVE U GUESSIN N MAKE U WANNA KEEP WATCHIN IT BUT I THINK IT WOULD BE AWSOME IF KELLY N JASON GOT BACK 2GETHER N I WANNA SEE HOW THE LIFE OF MEL N D GOES PLZ HURRY N GET IT BACK ON TV I CANT WAIT FOR SEASON 4 5 6 I DNT CARE HOW MANY GETS MADE AS LONG AS ITS AS GOOD AS THE LAST 3

7. tasha cottrell says

thankyou i am so happy i cant wait till 1/11/11.YES YES WHEN IT COME BACK ON I WILL MAKE SURE I HAVE NOTHIN TO DO ON THAT DAY

8. mduffey says

i love the game. i am sooo addicted to watching the reruns on bet. i already know the new season will come back bangin like no othe. i want to see if girl melanie and derwin are going to stay together. i want to know if that is his baby and everything. i hope it turns out not to be his, his relationship with girl melanie is tha truth

9. CHIVANTEE PRINCE says

I LOVE THE TV SHOW THE GAME. BET HAS THE GAME MARATHONS AND I NEVER MISS THEM I STAY GLUE TO THE TV AS IF I DONT NO WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN…I LOVE EACH AND EVERY CAST MEMBER ESPECIALLY TASHA………SHE IS SO HIP AND COOL I LOVE HER ATTITUDE………….DERWIN IS THE MAN WITH HIS SEXY SELF……….MEL GIRL HANG IN THERE I HOPE AND PRAY THERE WILL REALLY BE A SEASON 4 HELL I HOPE IT GOES AS FAR AS A SEASON 10………..

10. Dawn says

I love The Game and to have the original cast would be excellent!!!! Omg I’ve been so anxious to see if there’s a chance for Kelly and Jason, and of course to see how married life for Melanie and Derwin is going with the baby now here!! I always watch the reruns on BET waiting for the new season preview. Please set a new season date asap!!!!

11. Jemica says

I WOULD LIKE 2 KNOW WHEN ARE YALL GOING TO BRING IN SOME NEW EPISODE I REALLY I’M A BIG FAM OF THE GAME TV SERIES AND THE LAST EPISODE ENDED WITH DERWIN & MELANIE GETTING MARRIED AND DERWIN HAD HIS BABY I THINK IT COULD BE ALOT MORE TO ADD NOW THAT KELLY WANTS JASON BACK BUT HE MOVED ON QUESTIONS ARE UNAWSERNED LIKE WILL JASON GO BACK TO KELLY AND HOW WILL MELANIE HANDLE BEING A STEP-MOM AND THE BABY SITUATION AND I HOPE TASHA AND RICK GET BACK TOGETHER AND KELLY AND TASHA REKINDLE THEIR FRIEND SHIP SEE HAVE ALOT OF UNANWSERED QUESTION THAT NOT ONLY I WANT THE ANWSER TO