The Game: BET TV Series Renewed for Season Five

The Game season fiveCreated by Mara Brock Akil, The Game was cancelled after three seasons on The CW because of low ratings. Then, due to ongoing fan support and positive rerun numbers, BET put the TV show back into production for season four nearly two years later.

In January, the season four premiere drew a record number of viewers with a 3.6 rating in the important 18-49 demographic and 7.68 million viewers. The ratings dropped quite a bit after that but the 13 episodes of season four ended up averaging a very respectable 2.0 rating in the demo and 4.18 million viewers each week.

Interestingly, that’s much better than any of The CW’s current shows. The network’s most successful TV series, The Vampire Diaries, only averages a 1.5 in the 18-49 demo and 3.27 million total viewers.

There seemed to be little question that The Game would be renewed for season five but BET has now made the news official. What’s more, the cable channel has ordered 22 installments for season five, instead of just 13. New episodes of The Game will return in January 2012.

BET’s CEO, Debra Lee, notes that they have been very pleased with the cable channel’s first foray into creating original scripted programming. She believes that the African-American community is starved for good original programming and says that the networks haven’t offered many choices in the past few years.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear The Game will be back? Do you like the new version or do you prefer the shows from the CW years?

Anonymous January 3, 2012 at 1:23 pm

The game had me sitting and waiting for more melanie and derwin relationship reminded me of mine except there was no sideline baby I loved it

lisa williams November 2, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Im very happy to here that the game is coming back so be ready.I cant wait to see the show.

Gregory of L.A. October 20, 2011 at 7:31 am

Absolutely love this show! Executives at the CW are shortsighted & foolish. Once the WB & UPN went away in place of the CW, I predicted that they would systematically eliminate as much color from their roster as possible. I was right. They will never admit it, but the AA community is simply not their targeted demographic. Consequently, you won’t see much of us on their network. Thank you BET for stepping up! Thank you Mara Brock Akil for never giving up the fight! As a fellow writer, I admire and applaud your tenacity in the face of what can sometimes be a very hostile industry environment.

pat rice October 5, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I think the overall writing and stories lines were better during the CW years. I would have loved to see “Girl Melanie” keep more of the personal ambition she had in the earlier seasons. It would be interesting to see her juggle her own career aspirations with the glitz and demand of being a “football wife”…. perhaps in the next season we can see “Girl Melanie” finally become “Dr. Melanie” In season 5, her character was much more superficial that I would have expected given the growth of her character over the previous 3 seasons. With all that said, I still LOVE the show. I am thrilled there will be 22 episodes in January. And, let’s just admit it, there isn’t a better looking cast on TV or more likable actors.

Geraldine Richardson October 3, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I love that show. I look forward to watching it every season. I hate when they have to take a break. The Game always leave me wanting to see more

Joy September 5, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I loved The Game on the CW and I love it even better now. I am so glad to hear it is coming back for a 5th season!!! I can’t wait!!!

Chase September 1, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Oh one last thing BET bring back girlfriends please with the exact same cast.

Chase September 1, 2011 at 10:56 pm

The only thing thats missing is the comedy but the show was really great!!! Love the new houses and I love the model girlfriend for Malik he really needs her I cant wait to see what happens to them.

T.W August 18, 2011 at 2:33 pm

The writing was better in season 1,2,3 but the show is still good. Alot of the comedy was missing and TT who was hilarious didnt get alot of parts.

Michelle August 15, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I loved the show and I am ecstatic that there will be a Season 5!!!! My DVR is ready!!!

Pamela Mo August 11, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I’ll fly out there to Hollywood and help you write the script. We (all the black women) need you to bring back “The Game”. It is serious to us !!!!!

patclaudio July 15, 2011 at 5:11 pm

i didn like derwin being the baby daddy i think it should have been the other guy

joyce June 22, 2011 at 2:10 pm

The Game is probably even more important than the Cosby Show was to the African American community. The Cosby’s revealed to the unaware public that black people live positive and normal lives too. The Game will show an unaware industry that black people are watching and their viewership is just as important and can be just as lucrative when portrayed positively and honestly.

thank you BET for being the one to come to the rescue!

Augustin May 18, 2011 at 11:37 pm

The new episodes didn’t work well. The prior seasons was the best. Please step up The Game. There’s way to many great talent on the show for it to be so mediocre. The drama seemed boring, and the fights (whether verbal or physical) was Lacksadaisical. All actors are very talented but it seems that the writers are not putting their all into it. Look, I am no Actor nor am I a writer, but I am viewer and would love to see this show survive and become a great hit.

Angie May 4, 2011 at 9:13 pm

BRING OFF THE MAP BACK………………..

Anonymous August 4, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Yes!!! I loved that show!!!