The Game: Season Four Starts on BET in January 2011

The GameIt turns out The Game isn’t over yet. It just took a timeout, albeit a long one. The sitcom originally ran on The CW network for three seasons, with the last of the first-run episodes appearing in May of 2009. BET has announced it’s bringing the series back on January 11, 2011. The hope is to build on fan interest that began even before the original series cancellation was announced.

The Game is a comedy/drama produced by Kelsey Grammer and is a spin-off of the series Girlfriends. Tia Mowry stars as a first-year med student who ignores being accepted into Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, preferring instead to follow her boyfriend (Pooch Hall) to San Diego. He’s been tapped by a professional football team as a promising new rookie. Other castmembers include Brittany Daniel, Coby Bell, Hosea Chanchez and Wendy Raquel Robinson.

Even before The Game was cancelled by The CW, BET began syndicating reruns of the series, with some of the episodes garnering higher numbers than they did when they originally aired on The CW. Now the cable channel is looking to expand on its original programming to get more money from their advertisers, money that only high-end scripted series can bring in. With The Game bringing a large fan response in syndication, BET execs were convinced that new episodes would be a viable option to anchor their other new programming.

BET’s senior vice president of original programming, Charlie Jordan Brookins, said, “This is the beginning of building what scripted programming means to BET.” They have a selection of drama projects in development at the cable outlet, yet are deciding to start this new programming with comedies, because they can get them on the air more quickly.

How many more seasons of The Game would you like to see?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

With the new production of the Game series, they’ll need to downscale from what the show was used to on The CW. To start, they’ll save on the costs and will also take advantage of some tax incentives by moving the series from Los Angeles to Atlanta, where the series is now in production at the EUE/Screen Gems studio.

Stars Mowry and Hall were eager to pick up where they left off, as were many from the writing staff. Some of the scribes who couldn’t return to the writers room are submitting freelance scripts.

Executive producer Mara Brock Akil claims, “Everyone on our team wants to just shock everybody and make it even better than it was on the CW. How do you do that with less money? You have to be more creative. There’s definitely a bigger rock to push up the hill, but we want it to be a huge success not only for us but for the network.”

Brock Akil is willing to work hard to make The Game a success on BET, feeling the show never had the attention it deserved on the old network. “What we never had before was the marketing component to support the show.” Yet as a new flagship series for original BET programming, “they know what they have, and they want us to help grow their audience. That’s exciting for us.”

What do you think? Are you looking forward to seeing new episodes of The Game? How long do you think it will continue this time? One season, two or ?

Chilly January 6, 2011 at 8:23 am

OMG! The anticipation is killing me! I can’t wait to see what the new producers and writers have in store for all of the cast members.

Please use your creative mines to make The Game the number 1 show in the country. Your already have the best actors and actress under contract. Please do them justice! Please write the actors the most awesome scene that will keep the audience enslaved to their TV set while the Game is on.
All of the Game fans are truly behind you and your staff. I wish you and your staff much success in your new endeavor. Please continue to keep the viewers on the edge of their seats begging for more and more of the show.

LadeeLeo30 January 2, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I am so excited about the new episodes of The Game. I thank BET so much for listening to the fans of such a wonderful show. I can and do watch The Game over and over again. The Game is my #1 favorite TV show, because there aren’t a lot of good African American TV shows today. The Game is and will always be a winner to me.

Rochelle January 2, 2011 at 4:59 pm

the best show ever!!!!!!I love the game and all of the characters…BET please run this show for at least 2 more seasons… I would like to see brit brat grow up and tasha and rick get married, and derwin and melanie have a kid of their own….keep up the great work on this show….I LOVE ABSOLUTE LUV IT!!!!!!!!

Melanie January 2, 2011 at 4:08 pm

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! words cannot even explain how i felt when i heard that the game was coming back on BET…men i cried i was so happy…that was one of the greatest moment of my life; that is how much i love the show. i have been watching the re-runs over and over..right about now i think i know every word to all the episodes. Can’t wait love u BET..u guys made my dream come true. up till date i ahve gotten like 100 ppl hooked on the showed and i am not close to even gettign done. WHOOOHOOO

Jean January 2, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I just discovered this show over the weekend and I love it! Dedicated fan now ;-)

alison January 1, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I’m so happy to see the show will be returning. BET is the right place for it. BET you are stepping you GAME up, get it. My dvr is set 1/11/2011

Yolanda January 1, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I can’t wait until the show has finally aired! I am so excited to hear that it is coming back!! The Game was one of my favorite shows and it should do well on BET. It has a great cast with great writers…one of the funniest yet dramatic and entertaining shows on TV…two very enthusiastic thumbs up! :o)

Jamaika January 1, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I’m suuuuuper excited for this show to come on , I watch it everytime it’s on and can’t wait to see another episode when it’s over. So much to look forward to in the up coming season.

ASHLEY January 1, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I AM VERY EXCITED ABOUT THIS NEW SEASON WITH THE GAME I CAN NOT WAIT I HAVE MY DVR SET JUST IN CASE I HAVE TO WORK ONE NIGHT I WILL NOT MISS IT. THANKS BET

Queen January 1, 2011 at 11:39 am

I am so excited about the return of The Game. I love the show. I have watched every episode many times. My 20 year old nieces and I have created a tradition by watching the show together. We are ready for Tuesday night. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Thank you BET and the cast.

EREED December 31, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I love tha game. I can’t wait for it to come back on. I will not miss and episode. Thanks BET for bringing such a wonderful cast and show back.

Anika December 31, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I am more then excited to see The Game. I have been watching it since before they finally casted Pooch Hall and Brittany Daniels. The cast couldnt be better. The writers are phenomal. BET will not regret picking up this show. I am especially happy that the cast has stayed connected over this diffcult time. I have waited long and hard and tortured by re-runs, just anticipating the new season. I will definitely be tuned in for the very first episode and the encore episode. Thank BET and Tia, Wendy, Brittany, Pooch, Hosea and Coby. None of you can be replaced.

Natche007 December 31, 2010 at 9:36 am

I think The Game TV Show is great. I am 52 years old African American Woman and love all the characters on the show. The actress and actors have so much talent. I watch the show with my 19 year old. We are so entertained. Please keep the show going.

Fort Washington, MD December 29, 2010 at 7:53 pm

This is my favorite show, I love the entire cast; they are awsome. They keep it real!

Mimi December 21, 2010 at 12:59 pm

This is my favorite show of all time……I’m so glad BET is bringing it back and I hope it will last for at least two more episodes at the very least.