The Gates: New Supernatural Drama on ABC; Cancel or Keep It?

The GatesThough ABC didn’t have much luck with their Eastwick drama, the network is trying another kind of supernatural series, The Gates, for the summer months. Will this one make it to season two?

The Gates revolves around a big city cop who moves his family to a quiet gated community where many of the residents aren’t exactly what they appear to be. The ensemble cast includes Rhona Mitra, Colton Haynes, Frank Grillo, Janina Gavankar, Chandra West, Luke Mably, James Preston, Marisol Nichols, Skyler Samuels, Travis Caldwell, Victoria Platt, and Justin Miles.

The series debuted on Sunday, June 20th, to an unimpressive 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic and just 4.78 million viewers. Considering all of the network’s promotion, this was a disappointing start. The premiere ranked first in the demo and second in total viewers for the timeslot.

What do you think of The Gates?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In week two, viewership for The Gates dropped by about 30%. The demo fell to a 1.1 rating and total viewership came down to only 3.24 million. That put the show in second place in the demo and in third place for viewers.

Though ABC has lower expectations for this summer show, the ratings do not bode well for the show’s future on the network. Unless more people start watching, it’s hard to imagine that we’ll be seeing season two.

TV show supportFor now, let’s hope they show all 13 episodes of season one. The Gates is expected to run until September 19th but, with ratings like these, it’s not hard to imagine the network replacing them with something else.

What do you think? Is The Gates worth watching or would you just cancel it already? (Want to know how Scoundrels is doing? Go here.)

Rowell Medianista August 3, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I just found this series recently and i love the show very much.. so disappointing to know that it won’t have a next season to continue the show… geez you should know a good show when you see one, and I also think why only a portion of peoples watching it because people don’t know its being air at all.. Need to re-organize it advertising and spreed it at much as possible and when people get curious about it, then it will be the start..please please please let it have a season 2, it such a shame to end up like that.. more power to the show and keeping my finger cross and hoping ABC will alter it decision..Thanks to “The Gates cast and crew love you all” more power!!

laura August 3, 2011 at 8:00 am

i just got through watching the gates on netflix straight from episode 1 to 13. its very catching and addictive. then i looked for season 2 on there and there was none, so when i looked online for it elsewhere you can imagine the disappointment i had when i found out that they haven’t made a second season. i rarely find something that i look forward to watching and this is definitely one of them, so please, bring this one back. i’m pretty sure you won’t regret it.

jeff nauer July 23, 2011 at 12:48 am

it figures, find a show that is entertaining and has a story line to keep you interested and they cancelled it. thought the gates was really good much better than most of the junk their airing today!!

Tanya July 22, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I loved The Gates, just found it on Netflix. There needs to be a season two. The show needs to be promoted more, I never even heard of the show until my daughter found it on Netflix. Bring it back with better media coverage.

Tania July 17, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Please bring it back!!!!!!!! i need to si the season 2 please!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep it!!!!

Bukola July 10, 2011 at 1:43 am

I really enjoyed this film, I have been asking around for the season2, pls air oit, I am so so anxious to watch the season2.

kathy July 9, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I just found these show on netflix and i loved it wish they would keep making it . once you start watching its hard to put it down please dont stop making it …….

verne July 4, 2011 at 2:15 pm

“Seem to be experimenting some technological differences.”Ow! My Balls!
Ow! NO! Ow! Ow! Ah! Ow!” They’ve cancel everything but the Reality show, so I colored my hair this morning, tonight I’m watching the highlights.
Beavis and Butt-Head “Reality” combining “Jack Ass and Wrestling” in a blender, and leave the top off.
Reality bacteria – they’re the only culture some people have.
I cannot sing, dance or act; what else would I be, ah! Duh! Reality star!!!!.
Interrupt this program for late breaking news!!! Beavis and Butt-Head has hijack the Networks!!!
(hehehehe) They had this brain FART, now ”Reality” TV. On 7 days a week!!!
Warning Warning!!!
Beavis and Butt- Head dumb-ing up the networks and, uh going family-style on America stupidity. Turning us into hybrid of hillbilly, valley girl, inner-city slang leaving intelligence continued deteriorating.
Warning Warning, The new era, “Reality” shows cheap replacement for series show. walking into Dysfunctional“Reality” the new family shows and obtain our I.Q proceed to decline .,. Its like I have woke up into the movie “Idiocracy”where the network are run by
Beavis and Butt-Head world,In the days to come, population exploded, and our intelligence continued to decline until the humanity will be incapable of solving even it’s most basic problems. Next generation will reward those who reproduced the most and left the intelligent to become an endangered species with no natural predators to thin the herd it.” The Idiocracy of it all. . .
Beavis and Butt-Head No more leap into our imagination by brilliant writer. Relationship between imagining and acting. they’re imaginative leap of such thinking is entirely man’s prerogative,and it is this which distinguishes himself from the upper primate. It is what makes man human.. Beavis and Butt-Head don’t understand series while it reqire brain cell they don’t have. Turning the networks into SEWAGE TV.,Networks works need to hire a hit man and get rid of Beavis and Butt-Head
Then hire some bright people feel their shoes. Someone
that want let Technology bypass the networks. Someone understand new technology enthusiast watch more programs then ever. DVR’S made it convenant to tape and watch when we want pluss anywhere we have, internet connection . Our punsinshment for walking in today convenience of DVR’S ect., Network surrender to Beavis and Butt-Head. Instead of working on the problem come up with a reasonable solution. Nielsen rating depends on its “Live”viewers which r dying off.. Maybe work on putting commerical inside the series. Turn the series into cash. Get series on to DVD’s. One day networks will have too working on a solution. Hopefully they can fix the destruction of series.
I rant therefore I am!!!
I personally think we developed language because of our deep inner need to complain.

sherrie July 2, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Wow what a great series everyone I talk to about it absolutely loves it great acting great plot new ideas what a great change do not cancel…

Heather June 28, 2011 at 12:16 am

Just finished watching the first and only season….Loved the show, not at first but really got into it! I think with Twilight being so popular at the time this season started made people not interested in watching a show about almost the same thing. The beginning shows were almost the same plot, then it changed and got way better! Loved all the characters! I also think a movie that kind of ends the show would be a great idea!

Stephanie June 27, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I got hooked on The Gates on Netflix and am extremely disappointed that it won’t be back! It is one of the best supernatural crime drama shows I’ve ever seen. Please do a second season to wrap it up! It is very unfair to the fans to leave us hanging like this after the season 1 finale!!!!

Richie June 22, 2011 at 8:03 am

I am so disappointed that there will not be a season 2 . It ended where I was asking so many questions and wanting to see the answers arghhh this sucks

Mary June 21, 2011 at 8:21 am

Keep it. I already lost Eastwick. some of us really like the supernatural story lines. Ya get us hooked and then cancel, its really not fair!

jennifer June 17, 2011 at 8:17 am

Just started watching on Netflix and I am hooked! Really bombed that there wont be a season 2!!

Kimberly June 14, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Please bring it back! You can’t just leave us hanging like that.It ended at such a great part. I’m dying to see what happens! ABC needs to have more shows like this.