The Glades: Cancelled by A&E, No Season Five

The Glades canceledAs expected A&E has cancelled The Glades after four seasons on the air. There won’t be a fifth season or wedding for Jim (Matt Passmore) and Callie (Kiele Sanchez).

The dramedy began in July 2010 and it became their first scripted series to last more than a season. The cancellation comes days after The Glades’ fourth season finale attracted 3.41 million viewers. This was the show’s most-watched episode since the series premiere which drew 3.55 million.

Unfortunately, the fourth season as a whole was down by 14% year-to-year and The Glades was the cable channel’s lowest-rated scripted series. It didn’t help that the show was also produced by Fox, an outside studio, so A&E didn’t have a financial stake in the show’s future.

Of course, the real losers are the fans. The fourth season ended on a cliffhanger with Jim being shot in the chest by an unknown assailant. Hopefully the producers will find a way to give faithful viewers an idea of what might have happened in season five.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that The Glades has been cancelled? How would you have resolved the cliffhanger? Should Jim and Callie be together?

Erin September 3, 2013 at 1:09 pm

You know, I’m ticked as well about this, but what gets me even more mad is how they forced the wedding bracket stuff on us from their FB page. They knew the ratings. They knew there was a chance that the show would be cancelled. They did nothing for the fans but end it on a cliffhanger. If they cancelled it after they got married, I’d be less annoyed. But cancelling on a cliffhanger? Way to stick it to the fans.

Fred September 3, 2013 at 10:39 am

I can’t beleive its cancelled? this is like “Who shoot JR” at least let us know what happend, and let him get married, He chased her for year the big tease.

James W. Hurtt September 3, 2013 at 1:12 am

I spent the last couple of days to make sure my DVR was set up to record The Glades only to find out a few minutes ago you cancelled the show. My question is WHY??? You had so many story lines going… Callie & Jim getting married…. Jim getting shot…..Callie finishing medical school…. Callie’s ex. All these were story lins you could have gone on with. I watched The Glades from the very first episode to he cliffhanger. I own the first two seasons on DVD and have gotten many of my friends to watch both the show and my dvds. It was one of the most entertaining on the A & E network. The chemistry between the cast was something special. I do hope some network has the good sense that A & E doesn’t and revive the series and continue on. I know that A & E could probably care less but if that’s the way they feel they can count m out. I will block A & E from my tv.

Amy weeks September 2, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I can’t believe that the show ended like that! Why would they do that to the fans!!! I miss the show….

Jean Friedrick September 2, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I for one will READ Longmire to learn how it ends since A&E will no longer be viewed in my home. The Glades wasn’t given a fair chance and neither were the faithful viewers of this very entertaining series. Shame on you extremely poor decision makers, had you added at least one more encore to accommodate people with viewing conflicts the numbers would have been better, it seems to be working for Longmire.

Ellen September 2, 2013 at 6:39 pm

If you want to know who shot Jim, just ask the 3-4 characters each episode who were falsely arrested until Jim accidently stumbled on the real culprit. Maybe someone got fed up with being arrested on the scarcest of evidence.

How is this for an ending: Callie comes in and finds Jim bleeding on the floor. She gets shot as well and as they lay on the floor dying, they reach out and touch each other’s hands and expire. Just like the t.v. show!

Terri W. September 5, 2013 at 9:24 am

Gee, Ellen…obviously you aren’t a fan of the The Glades. And yet, you know many details. So, either you’re a fool who not only spends time watching shows they don’t like, but also takes time out of their day to COMMENT on them or you work for the idiotic A&E network. Or maybe you just have personal experience with the arrest procedure and therefore, take a breezy, fun summer show just a tad TOO seriously. It’s a summer escape, not an instructional video.

Virginia September 2, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Get rid of the mindless reality shows and give us the good scripted shows like The Glades. Does anyone there have a brain?

Anonymous September 2, 2013 at 5:13 pm

The only show I watch on A&E. I can’t believe it. Why end so badly? I will never watch anything again on A&E. Bad Ink, Storage Wars! Are you kidding??????

Rose September 2, 2013 at 4:18 pm

There is a petition already started.

Please sign it and spread the word. There are also messages on the A&E Glades Forum site. Also, the HOME page of The Glades has Matt Passmore and other Tweet/Facebook sites we can write to. Again, please pass the word so we can be heard!

Rose September 2, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I am so sick of TV stations investing our time into a program and characters and then leaving us with cliffhangers. Shooting Jim, the main character, and leaving it unresolved is a slap in the face to the viewers who watched it from day 1. Maybe A&E should take away the program from FOX and invest in good writers. At least they already have an audience to begin with. It also would have helped the series if they had more repeats of the program as TNT and USA does. Plus, during the year reruns from past seasons would have helped to grow a larger audience.

THE LEAST A&E CAN DO IS RUN A 6 WEEK FINALE SEASON THIS WINTER TO GIVE A PROPER SEND OFF TO THE GLADES!!!

Cynthia September 2, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I personally think that A&E needs to bring back The Glades and fire the person who made the decision not to renew it, because if they don’t do something then the station will lose a lot of viewers and fan base.

Terri W. September 2, 2013 at 10:05 am

I cannot BELIEVE A&E chose to cancel The Glades, especially considering the cliffhanger situation on which they left us hanging! I can’t say I didn’t have an inkling, considering the way the network always treated this show—as if it was the red-headed stepchild, never getting the respect and promotion it truly deserved. The fact that they would show three repeated episodes of Longmire (which is my other favorite show and the only one besides the Glades that I watch on A&E), but only the one for The Glades every Sunday, was also proof that A&E was not standing behind this show. Perhaps The Glades was the lowest rated of the SCRIPTED series, but those are viewers you wouldn’t have had for any of the REALITY CRAP that seems to be A&E’s real forte (and by reality, I mean—-scripted but passed off as “reality”—total CRAP). Since The G;ades was produced by Fox, maybe Fox could pick it up and add it to THEIR line up, at least to givce us a more satisfying ending—an ending that the fans who have watched since the first episode DESERVE. Apparently, WE get treated with very little respect by A&E, too.

Michelle September 2, 2013 at 7:55 am

Its crap, why end it in such a bad way!… at least let them get married and be happy. I am so sick of TV shows cancelling without tying up lose ends, its bullshit. Surely they new before the ending that it would be no longer, why build up the audience with the witness protection stuff and it pans out to nothing. GRRRRRRR!

tabitha September 1, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I am pissed they should not have ended the show. If they knew they were going to they should have let them get married and have her seen the house.

Candy Schmitz September 1, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I can’t believe that you cancelled The Glades on a cliffhanger. The least you could’ve done is give us an ending. This show was the first real show you had that gave you ratings. The very least you could’ve done was finished it up!!! If you end Longmire, the only other show I watch on your channel, in this way I will seriously quit watching.