The Glades: Cancelled by A&E, No Season Five

The Glades canceledAs expected A&E has cancelled The Glades after four seasons on the air. There won’t be a fifth season or wedding for Jim (Matt Passmore) and Callie (Kiele Sanchez).

The dramedy began in July 2010 and it became their first scripted series to last more than a season. The cancellation comes days after The Glades’ fourth season finale attracted 3.41 million viewers. This was the show’s most-watched episode since the series premiere which drew 3.55 million.

Unfortunately, the fourth season as a whole was down by 14% year-to-year and The Glades was the cable channel’s lowest-rated scripted series. It didn’t help that the show was also produced by Fox, an outside studio, so A&E didn’t have a financial stake in the show’s future.

Of course, the real losers are the fans. The fourth season ended on a cliffhanger with Jim being shot in the chest by an unknown assailant. Hopefully the producers will find a way to give faithful viewers an idea of what might have happened in season five.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that The Glades has been cancelled? How would you have resolved the cliffhanger? Should Jim and Callie be together?

Melissa July 8, 2014 at 4:17 pm

I think it was Callie”s so called best friend from Atlanta that tried to kill Jim . She was jealous of Callie and Jim I think A &E should at least ve fansoe last episodefor closure.

ken July 8, 2014 at 5:34 pm

I think it was carlys x that shot jim

Writer for season 5 July 7, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Well, I was recommended to watch the show on Netflix, which I did. Just finished all four seasons and enjoyed the entertainment value. Best cliff hanger of all was this last season ender–not expecting it AT ALL, which is what I like about a show. I can see how, over the seasons, each episode used a very predictable formula as far as how each murder was treated and how Jim accused and took into custody each and every suspect, no matter what they were doing at the time of the arrest (who ALL would lie and withhold information until he challenged each of them with uncovered facts) and the real killer would be realized within the last eight minutes of the show. Having said all that, I enjoyed the quirky sense of humour of Jim, his adorable disposition and genuine love for Callie and care for Jeff and his co-workers. The writers did an excellent job of making the audience really care about the main characters. For those of you wanting to know what happened afterwards? Here’s my take: Jim was shot by the Marshall, who was actually in cahoots with Ray. With Jim out of the picture, Ray figured that Callie and Jeff would go into the witness protection program with him and they would be re-united as a family. Unfortunately for Ray, Jim lives and digs into the Marshall’s background, finding out his affiliations with Ray and slowly pieces it all together, feeling silly that he didn’t check into the guy’s background in the first place. Ray and the Marshall are both killed during Jim’s search for them because, after all, Ray did squeal on some very bad people. Jim ends up capturing the bad guys who killed Ray, therefore saving face with Callie and, more importantly, the disillusioned son, Jeff. What do you think? I’d like to get a job as a writer for a tv show.

Chuck July 8, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Works for me. I will just imagine that as the actual ending until/unless any actual closure is reached by someone creating a real episode.

My only problem with all that is that Jim had to have seen the shooter so, unless the shooter was disguised, Jim would have to know who it was or at least have some idea about his/her description.

Kendra July 7, 2014 at 12:25 pm

It really is disappointing to have a great show like The Glades be cancelled and with a cliff hanger like they left us on! I agree that there should at least give the fans some closer if they won’t bring the show back, which I would really like to happen!!

Sharon July 7, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Why would you cancel a great show ? There are way too many reality shows as it is? So why cancel a show that people enjoy and especially after a cliff hanger. You could at least make a movie special to end it .

Michelle July 6, 2014 at 9:48 am

How can you cancel with everyone left hanging very frustrating

Mary Camarlinghi July 5, 2014 at 6:41 pm

What the hell, at least let us know what happened to Jim and Cally after the Cliff Hanger you left us with. I am not watching A&E anymore.

I am sure you will have many more negative reactions.

Annmarie July 5, 2014 at 3:39 pm

very disappointed to find the show was cancelled-was looking forward to the new season. would be nice if a final episode could be done when a show gets cancelled. Jim and Callie and their fans deserve closure.

Steven Alvarez July 5, 2014 at 5:01 am

bring back glades it would be a bummer not knowing what happen

Barbara Sedlacek July 4, 2014 at 3:22 pm

This is ridiculous. A & E should have filmed an ending to the series so we all knew what happened to Jim (his recovery and who shot him) and their marriage. They owed this to the viewers of the show. Apparently A&E doesn’t care about their viewers.

Maybe we all SHOULD STOP WATCHING A&E altogether!

agelesshippie July 4, 2014 at 9:54 am

A&E had become a real disappointment… Won’t be watching ANYTHING but Longmire.
so long to substandard station.

Gary Guilfoyle July 4, 2014 at 2:51 am

My wife and I very much enjoyed watching this show it brought class to television with a sense of comedy as well. Always kept us guessing with each case, also for a show that took place on an island with an abundance of females the filming was done very tastefull in our point of view you don’t find that any longer in todays television. The last season we feel was the best season done with the best acting of all the actors and actresses. We will be sorry to see it end. Thank you.

Joyce Cunningham July 3, 2014 at 8:51 pm

It’s Firefly all over again. Just cuz a few people didn’t watch didn’t mean that they didn’t have diehard fans! At least create a movie and end the show.

Tammy July 3, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Please don’t end it this way

Kathy July 3, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I’m with Short Change, I am so disappointed and will not be watching A& E so much any more. What a bummer.

Joann Haese July 3, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Why do you cancel a show that is as good as the glades!!! I do not like all of the reality shows on TV and this one was good!! And I would like it back !!!