The Glades: Cancelled by A&E, No Season Five

The Glades canceledAs expected A&E has cancelled The Glades after four seasons on the air. There won’t be a fifth season or wedding for Jim (Matt Passmore) and Callie (Kiele Sanchez).

The dramedy began in July 2010 and it became their first scripted series to last more than a season. The cancellation comes days after The Glades’ fourth season finale attracted 3.41 million viewers. This was the show’s most-watched episode since the series premiere which drew 3.55 million.

Unfortunately, the fourth season as a whole was down by 14% year-to-year and The Glades was the cable channel’s lowest-rated scripted series. It didn’t help that the show was also produced by Fox, an outside studio, so A&E didn’t have a financial stake in the show’s future.

Of course, the real losers are the fans. The fourth season ended on a cliffhanger with Jim being shot in the chest by an unknown assailant. Hopefully the producers will find a way to give faithful viewers an idea of what might have happened in season five.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that The Glades has been cancelled? How would you have resolved the cliffhanger? Should Jim and Callie be together?

791 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Cathy says

I’m very bummed that the show was cancelled. I really thought it was a good series.

I wonder – do the ratings count if a show is being recorded? I ask because I travel for work and don’t always get to watch my favorite shows when they actually air. But, I do record them religiously and watch them later. That should count! Particularly in today’s busy world.

As for the shooter – Ray seems too obvious. If season 5 was already filmed, mabe Netflix will pick it up?

2. Bernie says

Loved it! Why why why! It was a good show ! And yes Callie
    And Jim should be together. It was Rays mom who shot him.
    At least give a finale show so we know what everyone
    Is doing.

3. kelly says

THIS MAKES ME REALLY UPSET WHEN THERE IS A GOOD SHOW ON IT GOES OFF AIR REALLY WHY? DOESNT MAKE SENSE TO ME AT ALL I REALLY LIKED THE ACTORS IN THE SHOW IT WAS ALSO FUNNY ON SOME PARTS

GLADES NEED TO BE BACK ON

4. Jimi Sanchez says

Really disappointed not have at least a two hour special finishing the show. The quality of the writing and acting would generate a lot of views.

5. Brian McCallum says

really pissed of that this series finished this way. Not fair on the fans of the channel or the show. Unfinished cliff hangers on unfinished series does not give viewers confidence to continue to watch this channel.

6. robin says

I think they need to finish up by either Jim dying or Callie and Jim getting married. At least let it be known that it is Callie’s ex husband or the Witness Protection guy who shot Jim. Don’t just leave us with a cliffhanger and walk away…. Not cool…..

7. Amber says

This show is awesome! Please bring it back, or at least for season 5 to finalize things. Why would you end it with such a horrible cliffhanger? This is such a disappointment!

8. says

so sad we will not see the out come of the cliffhanger very discouraging such a good show. I will not be happy watching A&E weekly show’s to get involved in a weekly series and left hanging at the end is not fair to their viewers. If the show was not to be continued it show at least have an final ending. A&E DOES NOT CARE ABOUT ITS VIEWERS.

9. Bill says

I hope they return with season five or even six. They need to show if jim dies or what. It was a whole lot better then other t v series that are still running.

10. Maddie Iem says

I’m really angry, it ended. this was one of the best shows I have ever watched. I started it on Netflix and finished all 4 seasons in 5 days. such an amazing plot line and characters. such a shame to see it end. really hoping to have one more season to find conclusions to everything that happened in that last episode.