The Glades: Cancelled by A&E, No Season Five

The Glades canceledAs expected A&E has cancelled The Glades after four seasons on the air. There won’t be a fifth season or wedding for Jim (Matt Passmore) and Callie (Kiele Sanchez).

The dramedy began in July 2010 and it became their first scripted series to last more than a season. The cancellation comes days after The Glades’ fourth season finale attracted 3.41 million viewers. This was the show’s most-watched episode since the series premiere which drew 3.55 million.

Unfortunately, the fourth season as a whole was down by 14% year-to-year and The Glades was the cable channel’s lowest-rated scripted series. It didn’t help that the show was also produced by Fox, an outside studio, so A&E didn’t have a financial stake in the show’s future.

Of course, the real losers are the fans. The fourth season ended on a cliffhanger with Jim being shot in the chest by an unknown assailant. Hopefully the producers will find a way to give faithful viewers an idea of what might have happened in season five.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that The Glades has been cancelled? How would you have resolved the cliffhanger? Should Jim and Callie be together?

Phillip Graves September 19, 2013 at 9:13 am

This is some bull i really wanted to know what happen…

Kirsten September 18, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I’ve watched this show since it’s pilot episode in 2010, and have been a faithful viewer ever since. Jim has a personality that is funny, sarcastic, and caring. He and Callie deserve to be together, and be happy. Together they make a great team. Everyone on the show makes a great team! Now the execs’ want to break it all up.

gail grabert September 18, 2013 at 10:17 am

I have been around for 65yrs and have seen a lot of tv shows in my lifetime Yes each generation watches the programs that they like I will continue to watch tv However to cancel a great show like the glades is a bad thing The money vs great programs makes me wonder about the integrity of the folks making these decisions but to leave a program without an ending robs all the millions of folks of closure to a great show unthinkable at least give us an hour finale ending the show you owe the fans at least that much I also buy the dvds of all the tv shows and movies that I like so I can watch as much of all my favorite programs all the time and yes I buy the glades dvds gail

Dolly September 17, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Talk about disappointing endings. Jim’s life hangs in the balance while Callie is left at the alter.

Linda September 18, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I couldn’t agree more. With so many losing jobs, it was a bright spot for many, a show not of the stupid caliber of the reality shows. It was one of the best season cliff hangers I’ve ever seen. I’ve been waiting all summer for the series to restart to find out who did it, shot Jim.

In addition to all this, they had a lock on Monday night tv with The Glades followed by Longmire.

If this is the way A&E treats their viewers, I’ll switch to another network.

linda September 17, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I am so upset at this news of cancelation you cant just leave us hanging I mean come on have season 5 and end it on a happy note like most channels if u don’t bring it back and just leave is hanging I may never watch a@e again

Judy September 17, 2013 at 12:01 am

I am really upset that you cancelled “The Glades”, and then thought it would be a good idea to do it as a cliffhanger. What were you thinking? The chemistry between all the characters worked really well. It was well written with a lot of comic relief, and watching Jim’s unique way of solving crimes was fun to watch. The chemistry between Jim and Callie was great. Jim is so in love with Callie that he can’t see his life without her; and to make her happy he buys her the house of her dreams as a wedding gift. WOW!!! Those of us that have enjoyed the show since it began deserved better from A&E. Jim and Callie should have gotten married, which would have opened up all kinds of new story lines. This was a really entertaining show and you need to bring it back for another season.

Mar September 16, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I am so upset , I loved that show and Jim . It’s a shame they always get rid of good ones

Mitzi Kotler September 16, 2013 at 1:02 am

I would love to see The Glades continue with new episodes. However, A&E owes it to the more than 3 million fans who watched to produce a series finale to wrap up the cliff hanger ending of Season 4. Cancelling a series without allowing fans to see story lines resolved makes us less willing to become involved with your next program offering for fear of the same thing happening. Are you listening,A&E?

Dessa Myers September 16, 2013 at 12:22 am

This really “stinks” and who ever decided this was it for The Glades should be fired themselves. This was really getting good.
I thought we have finally had some writers with a good story to tell.
What changed their minds “really”?
This was a show that We never missed.
Bad idea to cancel this one.

Georgana Meiner September 14, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Please bring it back, it is a great show with great acting and good solid scrips

Darlene September 14, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I am so upset that Glades was cancelled. I really love this show. I couldn’t wait for the show come back thus summer. And we won’t see Jim n Kali get married. Please bring it back for a fifth season.

judy hudspeth September 13, 2013 at 5:09 pm

we really like the glades please put this back on the air

Linda C September 12, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Our entire family loves loves this show!!! Why is it that the really good shows get cancelled? Pretty soon we won’t be watching TV at all because there won’t be anything worth watching! It is so hard to find a show that our teenage sons and teenage daughter can agree upon and then have the added bonus of the parents enjoying the show too. The Glades was perfect and we have loved the story line and each episode and Jim’s unorthodox ways!
We need a season 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack September 12, 2013 at 9:58 am

This is an excellent show and should be brought back!! Actors were great!! Lots of drama and comedy!! Why is it that all Good shows get cancelled?? The ending left fans hanging.
This show must be brought back for season 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suzan J Sherer September 11, 2013 at 9:51 pm

The Glades is one of the better shows we watch on TV. We enjoy A&E; if you keep canceling we won’t have anything to watch!!! Give us a break every time there is something worth watching its taken off the air. This has been going on long enough; it’s to the point I don’t want to start a new show because it might not make the cut!!!!!