The Glades: Cancelled Next or Renewed for Season Five?

The Glades canceled or renewed for season five?Season four of The Glades concluded this week but the show hasn’t been renewed yet. Will it return for season five or will it be cancelled instead?

For those who haven’t seen it, The Glades follows a cocky Chicago detective (Matt Passmore) who moves to South Florida in hopes of finding a more relaxing way of life. He finds instead that he’s busier than ever. Others in the dramedy’s cast include Kiele Sanchez, Carlos G√≥mez, Uriah Shelton, Jordan Wall, and Michelle Hurd.

Season four of the show averaged 2.59 million viewers, down by 14% when compared to season three’s average (3.01 million). It’s the lowest-rated of A&E‘s three scripted dramas but hit a new high with its recent finale and an audience of 3.41 million.

While The Glades was the series to help A&E establish itself as a channel with scripted content, things aren’t looking too good for the show’s future. The ratings are down and the show is produced by Fox Television Studios so the cable channel doesn’t have a financial stake in its future.

According to Deadline, the show’s outlook isn’t bright but A&E hasn’t cancelled it yet.

After four seasons, there are 49 episodes of The Glades. That’s not enough for a syndication package but it might be close enough to give Fox incentive to make some kind of special deal to keep it going — either with A&E or another outlet. It would help if there were an appropriate Fox-owned channel but there isn’t.

For now, we’ll have to wait and see. If the show is cancelled, hopefully the producers will tell fans how the fourth season cliffhanger would have been resolved.

What do you think? Would you like to see a fifth season renewal or is it time for The Glades to be cancelled instead?

UPDATE: A&E has cancelled The Glades after four seasons.

MAX September 26, 2013 at 10:35 am

For weeks, I looked forward to seeing Jim in a tux, not lying on the floor bleeding. Please do something to finish the show off right if you are going to cancel it. The fans deserve a good ending. The shooter should be caught, Jim should recover and he and Callie should get married. I would like another season, but I would settle for that. Some station should complete it. If not, I am done with Aand E even though I like Longmire. I will never watch A&E again. This is so unfair. I have watched every show. It was my favorite and they were my favorite couple. This is the worse ending for a series I have ever seen.

SHELLY September 25, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I am so disappointed in THE GLADES finale, and to add injury to insult its been cancelled!!!! this is a fun and lighthearted show. It can easily go 7 yrs or more. This is a shame, so you keep your hillbillies and garage selling. If the show was being cancelled it should have had a much happier ending. What’s with all the networks and these stupid and unnecessary reality shows. They should be cancelled. I think I’m going to follow the others and not watch LONGMIRE if THE GLADES isn’t back. Sorry
Walt (congrats on the re-election though, I’m glad you won).

Carrie September 25, 2013 at 11:21 am

It would be nice for a fifth season to wrap it all up. You cannot end a series without telling us if he dies or not! I would be very disappointed in what was an amazing show if it ends like that!

Liz September 24, 2013 at 5:31 am

Love it!!! Please have a season five, don’t give up.

judson September 23, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I watched for two seasons, and then quit. I couldn’t take the whining of the lead actress anymore. Not sad to see it go at all.

Edna September 23, 2013 at 12:44 pm

please keep the glades .I love this show. Please dont cancel.

Rita September 22, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Please keep the Glades, I too have watched every single episode in all 4 seasons; you kept us hanging last year. Is this your “Marketing” strategy . . . keep people hungry for the new season; not knowing whether or not it will be renewed?? If it is it sucks! Please Please Please Please keep the Glades and when it does end at least give us closure not leave us hanging!!!

Cynthia September 19, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Keep the Glades! At least finish the series instead of leaving all the viewers hanging on that sad note with no conclusion. Is this how A&E rewards loyal viewers?

Tom September 19, 2013 at 7:18 am

Have watched every episode of The Glades and purchased the complete dvd collection of Seasons 1-3. Don’t end the show as is. Anticipating the rease of season 4 on dvd

Beverly Croucher September 18, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I would really like to see Glades continue. My husband and I never miss an episode. We have gotten several friends and relatives to watch. Good story line and we need to know who shot Jim right before the wedding!

Sherry Oppenheim September 16, 2013 at 11:55 pm

PLEASE KEEP THE SHOW!!!!!! This is one of the best dramas in a long time, the Law & Order series notwithstanding. this is a great show, with good character development. And, you now left all of the fans with no idea what would happen to the characters!

Amanda G. September 16, 2013 at 11:43 pm

I hope A&E will not disappoint their fans. The Glades is an awesome show. I think all those who followed the show since the beginning will not be able to live without having some kind of closure. Please renew this show! We are demanding a season 5!

Kathy Sturr September 16, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I hope A&E will not cancel one of the best TV shows on A&E. Not everyone has cable TV, and their are lots of cable TV shows to choose from. But, The Glades is a lot better than Storage Wars where there is now lawsuits and cries of misconduct on the shows. The Glades is definitely better than The Bates Motel. So please tell me how you can cancel a show with a cliff hanger and improved rating.

Christy September 16, 2013 at 1:37 am

Great show please bring it back or finish the cliff hanger!!!!!!

Diane September 15, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Please keep the Glades. It is a great show. A&E cannot end a show with a cliff hanger such as this. There needs to be closure to the show, I would think Jim and Callie getting married…if a suspect is not found of who shot Jim then that could be out there for a person to wonder but not leave Jim on the floor reaching for his cell phone. I have discovered A&E and want to continue to watch it but not if shows are “unfinished”.