The Goldbergs: Renewed for Season Two Says Creator (Not Officially)

The Goldbergs season twoLast night at the Paley Center in Beverly Hills, at an event devoted to The Goldbergs, series creator Adam Goldberg let it slip that the ABC sitcom has been renewed for a second season. He was quick to qualify the news however by saying, “It’s not official!”

Following a screening of the May 6th episode, the audience was treated to a question and answer session with Goldberg, executive producer Doug Robinson, and stars Wendi McLendon-Covey, Jeff Garlin, George Segal, Troy Gentile and Hayley Orrantia.

The renewal doesn’t come as a surprise. Though The Goldbergs hasn’t been drawing great numbers, it’s ABC’s fourth-highest rated comedy and has remained fairly steady across the season — even though it’s lead-in Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD has been declining.

What do you think? Do you like The Goldbergs? Are you glad to hear that it’s being renewed or do you think it should be cancelled instead?

24 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Jennifer says

Fantastic show! I haven’t enjoyed watching sitcoms since Seinfeld. This is the only one that I DVR weekly. There is so much crud on tv these days so this show is refreshing. I laugh the entire 30 minutes! Big mistake if you cancel this show. It will catch on.

2. stephen says

my wife and I love this show.rivals mike and molly for best show on television.hoping for many more seasons.

3. MK says

Adore this show. I hadn’t even planned to watch it when it debuted, but my DVR taped the first few minutes after SHIELD and those first moments hooked me and I’ve stayed hooked ever since. The cast is great and the real-life video from Adam’s life (Random guy with 80’s ponytail!) are priceless.

4. sheila says

Please Renew The Goldbergs this is a great comedy and this is one that we could watch with the whole family.not having to worry about something nasty coming out of their mouths. the show is so funny and their isn’t too many good comedies on anymore. This show is the best. oh and I love trophy wife too

5. jan says

I love this show! I laugh out loud each episode. I really hope it’s renewed. The writing is great and the cast is terrific.

6. ABS says

Love this show. it brings back so many memories. please, as I get older there are fewer things I can enjoy without pulling a muscle.

7. Dani says

It’s great that they will hopefully get a season 2 , this is the first show in a LONG LONG , might I say LONG time that the ENTIRE family here can and will watch together, kinda like when I was a kid we had great shows tgif ….rememeber? The Goldberg’s for a quick 30 mins brought great laughs to our family , even dad who often doesn’t like sitcoms was much like the dad and liked it pus reliving our childhood while the kids laughed aat the 80’s was great!

8. Why Watch says

I never found anything funny in this show. But if others like it, then they should enjoy it. I for one am happy the 80s are long gone.

9. JOHN THOMPSON says

Hands down greatest new show of the past decade!I have gotten all my friends to fall in love with this family and with this show!

10. heathern says

Love this show!! Especially as a child of the 80’s, I can relate to all of the references. Fantastic show, please renew!!!

11. Richard says

Please don’t cancel this program!!! I love this and have been able to get others with busy lives to sit down and watch. The cast is great.

12. Cheryl says

This is a “great” show!!!! My husband & I both “laugh out loud a lot” as it reminds us of our family lives and depicts each family member as they really are in a typically overprotected and loving/warm home. We should all learn from this sitcom by using our hearts and minds in the way they were intended. We need “reality” with “laughter and love” in today’s world and need to eliminate some of the garbage that has infiltrated the networks. Don’t, please don’t, cancel this program!!!