The Good Guys: FOX TV Show Cancelled; No Season Two

The Good Guys canceledTo no surprise, FOX’s The Good Guys has been cancelled after one season and 20 episodes. The series stars Bradley Whitford and Colin Hanks as an unlikely team of Dallas detectives.

The Good Guys debuted last Spring to a disappointing 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.93 million total viewers. Over the summer months, the ratings seemed to drop each week, hitting a low of a 1.0 rating and 3.42 million viewers.

Despite the poor showing, FOX kept the series on the fall schedule. On Friday nights, the numbers continued to slide. Good Guys hit a series low on October 22nd with a 0.6 rating and just 2.31 million viewers. Episodes typically ranked in last place for the demo in the timeslot. Realistically, no one has been expecting a second season renewal.

The series was shot on location in Dallas. Janis Burklund, head of the Dallas Film Commission, says that her high-ranking contact at Fox Television Studios has confirmed the show’s cancellation. The network hasn’t officially cancelled it but the production studio won’t be making any more episodes. The local area hasn’t had much luck this season. FOX’s Lone Star was cancelled after just two episodes and the episode order for NBC’s Chase has been reduced.

TV show supportOf The Good Guys, Burkland said, “We liked the show. And they had a great experience here. But the ratings weren’t good. I asked if there was any shot at cable, and he said there didn’t appear to be any shot at that either, and I think it would have done well on cable. It’s not the kind of show network viewers understand — it’s too quirky. It’s one of those shows where either you get it or you don’t. Where cable viewers are more apt to go sampling and try out different stuff, network viewers are looking for more traditional shows. And it had a horrible time slot.”

The TV show’s sets are still intact at a local Dallas studio but will likely be struck in January. The final episode of Good Guys, titled “Partners,” aired on December 10th.

Update: Hanks confirmed the cancellation via his Twitter account on 12/27/10.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Good Guys has been cancelled and won’t be back for season two?

Jason March 8, 2012 at 12:59 pm

What an awesome show was dissapointed to see there was never a second season.

Michelle March 7, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I liked the show alot. Dan was hilarious. I just watched the episodes again on Netflix. I am sorry the show was cancelled. I used to try and find it on Fridays, wondering what happened. I hope they decide to bring it back again sometime in the future. The show was good and very funny indeed.

Starky's number on babe March 3, 2012 at 12:40 pm

This was the best cop show ever, I was very surprising to read about its cancellations. Whats wrong with people at fox didn’t they watch it?…. Really gonna miss it.

Ann March 1, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I’m completely bummed that they cancelled this great show. It had it’s hiccups at the beginning, but they were really getting into the characters development. Why do all the good shows die so young??

Fer February 28, 2012 at 1:27 am

This is a great funny show. I don’t ever get hooked up on tv shows. I d be happy to see a second season.

chip&mary February 27, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Too bad great Show love the retro flashback quirky cop!! Gonna miss it!! Bring it back!!

Preston February 25, 2012 at 2:36 am

I love this show its funny and it has that old humor in it and it’s great.I’m 17 and it’s funny I wish they dident cancle it they should at least make two more just so they can have an ending I hate it when they just end a show they need to at least finish what they started.

pru February 20, 2012 at 9:55 am

I miss this show, living outside of Texas after growing up in Big D. The Good Guys helped me cope with being away from home. I would like to see the show resume.

Bill February 19, 2012 at 12:59 am

My kids and I just watched the entire season and we loved it! I wish there were more episodes. I cant believe this show was canceled considering some of the other shows that are still on the air.

joe February 16, 2012 at 6:59 pm

the good guys was totaly one of the funniest series on tv. sad to see that there is no season 2.

ALL MOST February 12, 2012 at 6:16 am

My husband and I just finished watching this series on Netflix and we loved it. IMHO, there’s nothing more entertaining than light-hearted comedy, which this series is filled with. I hope it comes back.

JFlowers February 3, 2012 at 10:50 pm

I looked up The Good Guys because I have been waiting for it to return. I was shocked to see that it was cancelled. It was funny and entertaining. I am very sad.

BRING IT BACK January 30, 2012 at 5:50 pm

THIS IS THE BEST COP SHOW I HAVE SEEN. IT WAS FUNNY AND GOOD TO SEE SOME GOOD COMEDY. TIRED OF WATCHING THESE DRAMA LOVE SHOWS AND HOSPITAL SHOWS. WISH PRODUCERS WOULD GIVE THIS SHOW ANOTHER SHOT.

Anonymous January 25, 2012 at 11:05 pm

i will miss this show just watched the whole season whish there was another one.

Rhonda Janos January 25, 2012 at 12:59 pm

This show was fun and entertaining and I miss it!