The Good Guys: FOX TV Show Cancelled; No Season Two

The Good Guys canceledTo no surprise, FOX’s The Good Guys has been cancelled after one season and 20 episodes. The series stars Bradley Whitford and Colin Hanks as an unlikely team of Dallas detectives.

The Good Guys debuted last Spring to a disappointing 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.93 million total viewers. Over the summer months, the ratings seemed to drop each week, hitting a low of a 1.0 rating and 3.42 million viewers.

Despite the poor showing, FOX kept the series on the fall schedule. On Friday nights, the numbers continued to slide. Good Guys hit a series low on October 22nd with a 0.6 rating and just 2.31 million viewers. Episodes typically ranked in last place for the demo in the timeslot. Realistically, no one has been expecting a second season renewal.

The series was shot on location in Dallas. Janis Burklund, head of the Dallas Film Commission, says that her high-ranking contact at Fox Television Studios has confirmed the show’s cancellation. The network hasn’t officially cancelled it but the production studio won’t be making any more episodes. The local area hasn’t had much luck this season. FOX’s Lone Star was cancelled after just two episodes and the episode order for NBC’s Chase has been reduced.

TV show supportOf The Good Guys, Burkland said, “We liked the show. And they had a great experience here. But the ratings weren’t good. I asked if there was any shot at cable, and he said there didn’t appear to be any shot at that either, and I think it would have done well on cable. It’s not the kind of show network viewers understand — it’s too quirky. It’s one of those shows where either you get it or you don’t. Where cable viewers are more apt to go sampling and try out different stuff, network viewers are looking for more traditional shows. And it had a horrible time slot.”

The TV show’s sets are still intact at a local Dallas studio but will likely be struck in January. The final episode of Good Guys, titled “Partners,” aired on December 10th.

Update: Hanks confirmed the cancellation via his Twitter account on 12/27/10.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Good Guys has been cancelled and won’t be back for season two?

kennedy February 7, 2013 at 11:41 pm

BOYCOTT FOX UNTIL “The Good Guys” IS BACK ON!!! POST on FACEBOOK, get it out there!!!

Kseniya January 22, 2013 at 5:33 am

best show ever! I’m from Russia, so sad that we wont see it again.

tricketts January 13, 2013 at 2:32 am

Never heard of this show when it was originally airing. Found out recently about it through a friend who was hired as an extra for a few episodes. Absolutely love this show. Watched the whole first season on Netflix, and it gets better with each episode as the characters evolve. I am so disappointed that there is no second season to view. Lived in Texas for a good part of my childhool and can relate to the culture. Maybe cable would have been a better venue. A true loss to the potential viewing audience. Great job in both the direction and actors’ characterizations. If it comes back, I will definitely be a regular viewer.

B January 3, 2013 at 12:27 am

Never heard of it when it was new but I wish I did, totally bummed no season 2. I agree tho, its quirky like Psych and others on USA, it would have done great there!!! silly FOX!

Anonymous December 10, 2012 at 1:10 am

Loved it. Never watched an episode during original air dates but only a couple shows do I follow that closely. Though I did watch every episode on Netflix and regret not watching it when it aired I loved it not often does a show come along that is this funny. The cast was great the show was hilarious and I was lucky to stumble upon it truly enjoyable must see for wish they had more seasons

Andrew Neason November 25, 2012 at 11:40 pm

funny as hell, loved it! cable whould of been much better for them. hate seeing good shows being canceled and seeing all these crapy shows stick.

Rhoda November 24, 2012 at 1:19 am

Best ever. Bring it back PLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZ !!!!!!!!!!

David November 15, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Fantastic show, my brother an I just finish watching the show. It’s a shame there not making a season two. I was in tears laughing my ass off. Hopefully they take a another chance with a season. Great show!!

Hampus Dorian November 9, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Hilaroius show. One of the best. Truly a shame season two was cancelled.

tyler wiseman November 3, 2012 at 4:05 pm

PLEASE BRING IT BACK, ITS THE BEST SHOW I THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tia October 22, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Im sad it got cancelled for season 2.. It’s such a great show.. Just watching episode 20 now

Troy babineau October 17, 2012 at 8:04 am

It was my favorite show can’t believe it was cancelled

bob saxby September 25, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I MISS IT SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharon Tea September 9, 2012 at 1:34 am

We’re a bit late getting The Good Guys in the UK – I LOVE IT!! Can’t believe it didn’t get more than one season – nor can I understand how it failed. It’s hilarious!

Alex Collins September 3, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Best show ever pllzzzzzz bring it back