The Good Wife: Showrunner Leaves CBS Drama, Ratings Trouble Ahead?

The Good WifeLast week, there was a change in leadership at CBS’ new drama The Good Wife. The series is the network’s second most-popular new drama of the season so will this move hurt the show?

Showrunner and executive producer Dee Johnson is leaving the series but Michelle and Robert King, The Good Wife’s co-creators and executive producers, are picking up her duties.

Johnson was initially brought in because the Kings had limited experience running a show, having worked on ABC’s short-lived In Justice and a few other projects. Johnson, on the other hand, is a veteran producer and has worked on numerous shows like Commander in Chief, Army Wives, Profiler, and the original Melrose Place.

The network wanted to be sure things ran smoothly on Good Wife and hired Johnson to guide the series for the first 13 installments. Now that the show’s been given a full season order and is performing well in the ratings, Johnson’s leaving to develop other projects.

While any change in show management can cause upheaval in a show’s workflow, this one isn’t expected to be that disruptive. The CBS TV Studio execs are apparently impressed enough with the Kings’ showrunner abilities and ratings to feel that the duo can go it alone.

What do you think?

Anna Walton-Mason May 15, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I think the Good Wife is one of the better show to come along in a loonnnggg time.
What they need to get rid of is The Kardasions and some of the Wives of whatever. They are totaly useless…

Judith March 3, 2010 at 4:55 pm

The Good Wife is the best show this season. Please, please continue it. All actors are fabulous and especially the Investigator. Favorite show by far!

Lindsey Lee December 7, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Haha i’m confused by Taylors comment “Because when she asked “Alicia” if she wanted her to “talk” to Peter’s prostitute, I realized that no hetro girl would do that or say that” Erm ok well I would say that and I’m straight I’d go find that prostitute and beat some truth and descency into her.

But anyway I absulutely love this show before I watched the first episode I wasn’t sure what to expect but its fantastic love all the cast but the lead actress is perfect.

Helen Regan December 3, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Thte Good Wife is by far the most intelligent sit com I have seen in a long, long time. Don not cancel this show.

pat miller May 19, 2010 at 2:42 am

Ditto, a show i never miss.

Taylor November 25, 2009 at 1:16 pm

BTW, when she said “talk to her (Peter’s Prostitute)”,she actually meant beat her up. That is the reason why I laughed.

Taylor November 25, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I hope it succeeds. I love it more than “Glee”. Anyway, I want to comment on last night’s episode. It was called “Threesome”. It got a little “Gossip Girl-y. I loved it. I now realize why people say that “Kalinda” (Indian Character played by Archie Panjabi) is bisexual. Because when she asked “Alicia” if she wanted her to “talk” to Peter’s prostitute, I realized that no hetro girl would do that or say that. I laughed because it was funny. I am starting to think that Archie Panjabi (not Kalinda) is bisexual (or homosexual) in real life. Even though I know that both would be unacceptable in Indian culture.

Anonymous November 11, 2009 at 2:50 pm

I LOVE THIS SHOW… Just don’t do anything to ruin it~! Happy for it’s success.

SHERRY JAMISON October 27, 2009 at 7:00 am

I LOVE GOOD WIFE AND HOPE IT LASTS A LONG TIME.