The Goode Family: Low Ratings, Shipped to Fridays; Cancel or Keep It?

The Goode FamilyFOX continues to have success with its animated series so ABC has decided to give the genre another try. So, how is The Goode Family faring?

Co-created by King of the Hill’s Mike Judge, The Goode Family is an animated series that revolves around a family that’s obsessed about being “green” and living a politically correct lifestyle. The show stars the voice talent of Judge, David Herman, Nancy Carell, Linda Cardellini, and Brian Doyle Murray.

The series debuted on May 27th to mixed reviews and disappointing ratings. Only 3.93 million people tuned in with a 1.6/5 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. That put the animated premiere in fourth place in total viewers and in third place in the coveted demo. What’s more, the show lost 57% of lead-in Wipeout’s audience.

Should Goode Family be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

For week two, ABC ran a pair of episodes and both performed poorly. Episode two attracted just 3.17 million viewers and a 1.2/4 in the demo. The next installment of Goode Family dropped to a disastrous 2.16 million and a 0.9/3 rating/share. Both were in fourth place in total viewership and in the key demographic.

Even for Summer ratings, these numbers are terrible for a major network. As a result, ABC has pulled the sitcom from Wednesday nights effective immediately. An extra episode of Wipeout will fill in on June 10th. The second season of I Survived a Japanese Game Show will return earlier than planned and will step in to Wednesday nights after that.

ABC is shifting Goode Family and Surviving Suburbia to low-traffic Friday night timeslots. They’ll start airing there beginning June 12th.

Based on its poor showings, it’s impossible to imagine that Goode Family will be asked back for a second season.

But, what do you think? Is Goode Family worth keeping or should it have been cancelled already?

rik January 9, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I had a strange urge to punch every character in the face on this show

dave January 15, 2010 at 11:02 am

I gave it the first-episode chance .. would never waste my time with another episode. The whole thing felt real tacked on – characters point out each other’s stereotypes frequently, so that you won’t get confused later on. If they have to tell you “From the creator of such-and-such” you know it’s no “Goode”.

joe September 1, 2009 at 11:42 am

organic is bullsh*t

Dan August 18, 2009 at 12:31 pm

I am one of the many viewers that tuned in to every episode from beginning to end. I think it’s a great show and I can’t honestly believe that more people didn’t watch this. It’s not only comical but it’s inspiring and at this time with everybody learning the GREEN factor, it’s just the kind of show we need. I hope it comes back on a different network, I will be highly disappointed if it does not. I think as time goes on, the show will most likely pick up more audience and if it doesn’t, at least us nature dwelling, organic supporting, earth caregivers will have something to watch. Sorry it’s not soaring with viewers like The Real World or Real Housewives of Atlanta or Daisy of Love. Seriously???

GodDangitBobby! August 16, 2009 at 8:59 pm

The show is not “b a d”, there just needs to be more character development…especially the adopted South African son…is he retarded? Is he slow? Is he normal with a wierd voie? I’ve watched all the episodes and could never figure it out. I mean, in one episode he seems to have an IQ lower than the dog’s…then the next he’s driving and talking a little more normal. Anyway, the show is okay, just needs more time to get it’s footing. Remeber the first season of KOTH? Well, I guess that doesn’t count…every episode was genius! Better example would be to compare it to the first season of the Simpsons. Needs time…and for Cartoon Network to air some episodes!

Phil August 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm

Great Show. Keep it going please. I cant believe this show ever got on the air with all the political correctness. Funny.

Jim August 13, 2009 at 8:26 am

This show is simply brilliant and I hope that it sticks somehow. It is the best comic relief for those of us that are still “un-enlightened” and “un-american”!

Varun August 10, 2009 at 3:30 am

What is going on? First King of the hill is gone now this! This was a great show did not miss even one episode.

Nadia August 8, 2009 at 8:42 am

I love the show! I think it is much more interesting than KOTH was. It actually makes people think about serious issues, which is something most people don’t want to do. The Goode Family is satirical genius! And that is why it has not favored well. People don’t want to think.

Lily August 7, 2009 at 6:45 pm

its crap! i thought that the creators of KOTH would come out with something good since their best work was cancelled. Instead they give us this? LAME

bubblebutte August 7, 2009 at 4:55 pm

I love this show. i wish more people would give it a try. i have a lot of friends who act like these characters and it’s refreshing to see them portrayed in humorous way. i hope it will return next season on abc or cartoon network.

Philip A Moore July 31, 2009 at 6:15 pm

I wish ABC would let Cartoon network show a few episodes I mean it caused
Fox to bring back Family guy it might work with The Goode Family which is by far a superier show I remember how out of place King Of The Hill was when it first started I would love to see this show get it’s feet and mature in a simuler fasion

good day

angel July 29, 2009 at 10:53 pm

i liked the show and i hope that it ends up doing better. i look forward to more episodes

Skysoldier173 July 9, 2009 at 11:28 am

This show was crap.Even worse than King of the Hill the only thing I could say for the “NOTSO”Goode Family is the sme when i learned of KOTH’s cancellation “At an end you’re reign is and not short enough your reign was” in the words of Jedi Master Yoda. Good Bye and “Goode” ridance to the biigest sissy(and i’m not just talking about B