The Goodwin Games: Cancelled? Renewed for Season Two?

goodwin games canceled or season two?Tonight marks the finale of The Goodwin Games, FOX’s most recent sitcom. Has it been a ratings success? Will it be cancelled or renewed for a second season?

The Goodwin Games follows three estranged siblings — an overachieving surgeon (Scott Foley), a struggling actress (Becki Newton); and a career petty criminal (T.J. Miller). They return home for their father’s funeral and are informed that their father’s will awards them $23 million but only if they agree to compete in a series of games that end up bringing them closer as a family. The cast also includes Kat Foster, Melissa Tang, and Beau Bridges.

The sitcom was initially supposed to air last fall but FOX decided to save it for mid-season. Then, in November, the network cut Goodwin Games’ episode order (from 13 to just seven installments). They then opted to hold the premiere until late May when the regular TV season was nearly over. They clearly had little or no faith in the show.

The ratings have been poor on top of that. The sitcom debuted to just a 0.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 1.6 million viewers. Over the course of the season, the show’s numbers fell as low as a 0.5 rating with just under 1.4 million. Reruns of FOX’s regular comedies typically perormed as well or better.

It looks highly unlikely that FOX will be ordering a second season of The Goodwin Games. The numbers are quite low and Foley has signed on as a series regular on the new season of Scandal on ABC. It would seem that tonight’s episode will be both the season and series finale.

But, what do you think? Do you like The Goodwin Games? Is it better than what the ratings seem to indicate? Should it be cancelled or renewed for season two?

Julie August 4, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I loved this show. First saw it on a plane and had to hunt it down. Good shows just don’t seem to stay long. Everyone in to reality tv.

Anonymous July 18, 2014 at 7:45 am

Love this show, can’t believe it’s over. Bring it back! I found it on 10play and couldn’t stop watching it. Shame it was only 10 episodes I was hooked.

Monica June 30, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I only just discovered this show (it’s being shown in Australia currently)… and it is really good! Can’t believe it only got 7 episodes, they could have at least done all 13 with a proper finale. The show got better as it went along, episodes 4-5 were so funny! All my favourite comedies have been axed – Suburgatory, The Crazy Ones, Enlisted, Psych now Goodwin Games… so sad. In my opinion, there are way too many violent crime drama shows these days.

SD July 13, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Monica, I agree—it’s great! I have to say, though I’m pretty annoyed withy the 10 network for putting it on when they KNEW there was no ending. How frustrating. Grrr!

denise hudson June 4, 2014 at 2:53 am

great show didnt give it much time for it to be watched probably wrong timing now if the show is finished who won please if your finishing a show dont leave it up in the air at least do a last episode to end it shame would be great if given a chance

tyler May 19, 2014 at 12:53 am

The Goodwin games is hilarious! TJ Miller plays an awesome role, in fact the whole cast does a great job! Perfect casting choice. In some sitcoms there’s usually one or two characters or actors I would change but in this show I wouldn’t change a thing. I will definitely miss it if they choose not to renew it. If they do renew it I’m hooked for life.

Anonymous May 2, 2014 at 12:10 pm

I love this show, are you sure you had correct ratings? Maybe the time was wrong or you did not give the show a proper introduction to the viewers or some other management mistake.