The Goodwin Games: Cancelled? Renewed for Season Two?

goodwin games canceled or season two?Tonight marks the finale of The Goodwin Games, FOX’s most recent sitcom. Has it been a ratings success? Will it be cancelled or renewed for a second season?

The Goodwin Games follows three estranged siblings — an overachieving surgeon (Scott Foley), a struggling actress (Becki Newton); and a career petty criminal (T.J. Miller). They return home for their father’s funeral and are informed that their father’s will awards them $23 million but only if they agree to compete in a series of games that end up bringing them closer as a family. The cast also includes Kat Foster, Melissa Tang, and Beau Bridges.

The sitcom was initially supposed to air last fall but FOX decided to save it for mid-season. Then, in November, the network cut Goodwin Games’ episode order (from 13 to just seven installments). They then opted to hold the premiere until late May when the regular TV season was nearly over. They clearly had little or no faith in the show.

The ratings have been poor on top of that. The sitcom debuted to just a 0.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 1.6 million viewers. Over the course of the season, the show’s numbers fell as low as a 0.5 rating with just under 1.4 million. Reruns of FOX’s regular comedies typically perormed as well or better.

It looks highly unlikely that FOX will be ordering a second season of The Goodwin Games. The numbers are quite low and Foley has signed on as a series regular on the new season of Scandal on ABC. It would seem that tonight’s episode will be both the season and series finale.

But, what do you think? Do you like The Goodwin Games? Is it better than what the ratings seem to indicate? Should it be cancelled or renewed for season two?

Sherrie July 3, 2013 at 3:12 pm

i love this show!!! Witty…I hope it makes it…

Rosann July 3, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I thought it was really cute. I loved the Beau Bridges parts. Found the daughter funny. Wanted to see if doc and minister got together. Although I wasn’t crazy about all. The jail time kid had done and he was still stealing, then singing about it, come on.

Michael Milton July 3, 2013 at 11:47 am

Fox is not famous for making the right call when it comes to programming. They could have placed this show on the schedule in the place of American Idol once it was finished or a show that was canceled. Placing it on during the summer and at least not ordering 15 episodes is not showing a lot of faith in this show. 8 episodes is a waste of time and a smack in the face to the actors and the rest of the crew of this show. It had a very original idea and it had the comedy and light hearted ness missing from so many of today’s sitcoms. The strong chemistry between the cast was something very rare. Fox did this to another very good comedy Ben and Kate. Yet they continue to leave other low rated shows like the tired and more perverse New Girl on the air.

hat July 3, 2013 at 8:56 am

This is a great show! Its super funny and different from the usual family comedies ….come on fox give it a real chance …there was almost no advertising and with only 7 episodes in the middle of summer no wonder ratings were down.

Anthony July 2, 2013 at 11:25 pm

I like the show, although I think TJ Miller is corny. I hope netflix picks it up.

Zabster July 2, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I really like it which is usually a doomsayer. maybe it could stick around for a couple summers til more people find it? ratings suck in the summer and it would be nice to have something fresh instead of just reruns and reruns.

Kassie July 2, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I’ve really been enjoying the show, it stinks that it got so shafted this way. Fix definitely set it up to fail, so it doesn’t look like there’s a way to save it even if it could GET the numbers.

Lisa July 2, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Once again a good show wasn’t given it’s proper chance to succeed! Great cast, clever and a fresh new concept. I completely agree with the above on carpoolers and TJ Miller, genuinely funny.

Carri July 2, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I LOVE the Goodwin Games. It is a breathe of fresh air for TV.

goodwin games July 2, 2013 at 3:22 pm

i hope this show gets cancelled, it’s a terrible show.Tj miller is one of the most horrible actor ever.

Charles July 2, 2013 at 3:03 pm

So many unanswered questions in the finale… What is going to happen to Henry? What about the ethics issue? What about Chloe in college? Screw you FOX

Samantha July 2, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I hope they don’t cancel it. I love the show and I am a big fan of tj miller. I was extremely sad when carpoolers got cancelled.

Megan July 2, 2013 at 1:45 pm

So bummed this is ending. One of the funniest sitcoms I’ve seen come out in a while.

Joseph Carbonaro July 2, 2013 at 10:58 am

FOX got it wrong GWG is fresh and very funny and not the same old sitcom.All the character( and actors ) are great.My wife and. I will be upset if FOX cuts it

Crystal July 2, 2013 at 3:11 am

The Goodwin Games was such a great idea I have not seen ideas for a sitcom like this and I couldn’t wait to see the next episode everytime I’m so disappointed that the show has been cancelled.