The Goodwin Games: Cancelled? Renewed for Season Two?

goodwin games canceled or season two?Tonight marks the finale of The Goodwin Games, FOX’s most recent sitcom. Has it been a ratings success? Will it be cancelled or renewed for a second season?

The Goodwin Games follows three estranged siblings — an overachieving surgeon (Scott Foley), a struggling actress (Becki Newton); and a career petty criminal (T.J. Miller). They return home for their father’s funeral and are informed that their father’s will awards them $23 million but only if they agree to compete in a series of games that end up bringing them closer as a family. The cast also includes Kat Foster, Melissa Tang, and Beau Bridges.

The sitcom was initially supposed to air last fall but FOX decided to save it for mid-season. Then, in November, the network cut Goodwin Games’ episode order (from 13 to just seven installments). They then opted to hold the premiere until late May when the regular TV season was nearly over. They clearly had little or no faith in the show.

The ratings have been poor on top of that. The sitcom debuted to just a 0.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 1.6 million viewers. Over the course of the season, the show’s numbers fell as low as a 0.5 rating with just under 1.4 million. Reruns of FOX’s regular comedies typically perormed as well or better.

It looks highly unlikely that FOX will be ordering a second season of The Goodwin Games. The numbers are quite low and Foley has signed on as a series regular on the new season of Scandal on ABC. It would seem that tonight’s episode will be both the season and series finale.

But, what do you think? Do you like The Goodwin Games? Is it better than what the ratings seem to indicate? Should it be cancelled or renewed for season two?

Caitlyn July 15, 2013 at 7:18 pm

This show makes me want to sit down & laugh. I absolutely love this show. The idea of a game to win their father’s inheritance is good! To me it is an attention grabber. The acting is great! The story line is wonderful! It needs to come back for a second season!

c4collins July 15, 2013 at 5:03 am

I would love to see Scott Foley do both “Scandal” and this comedy…can’t get enough of him!! :)

Hillary July 13, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Soooo…. I loved this show it is witty and I can’t believe I didn’t watch it sooner. I love all the characters and I am going to be sooo upset if it is not renewed. I have recently told all my friends to watch it because there is no advertising for this show. I have to admit I do not have cable so everything I see is from Hulu or Netflix. I think its a big mistake to cancel it. I think Neil Patrick Harris did a great job directing the season finally and I love Becky’s Character. Especially once How I met your Mother finishes its final season… Its perfect timing to start a new series like this.

PS, those of you who don’t like this show are crazy and have no since of humor.

Dawn July 13, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Please don’t cancellation this show! It is such a great combination of funny, quirky and touching. And I’m not afraid to watch it with my kids – which is really hard to come by now days. It’s my new favorite show.

Clm July 13, 2013 at 8:50 am

I just found this on HULU and decided to watch with my mother. The show is quite cute and funny. Would be sad for this to be axed but wouldn’t be the first time a show was done away with while lesser ones continued.

Steven July 11, 2013 at 10:07 pm

The goodwin games was a freakin’ great show. I got, easily, 2 dozen ppl into watching and they all thought it was great as well. I definitely think they deserve another shot.

lovin goodwin July 11, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Crazy to let this one go…find a different way to measure success…some if us have cut the cable cord..BRING THIS ONE BACK!

Concerned Kid July 9, 2013 at 8:01 pm

The Goodwin Games is an awesome show! Please don’t cancel it!

Seth July 9, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Who is OWEN? If they are going to cancel it, I just want to know what his connection to their father is.

Jerry Klein July 8, 2013 at 2:40 am

I enjoyed this season of The Goodwyn Games from start to finish. Watching this show with my wife just makes us both feel good in a way that no other series does. I h0pe that Fox will pick the show up for a second season.

Abha July 7, 2013 at 2:47 am

I really liked The Goodwin Games. The concept is brilliant and the makers have written it to its fullest potential. Its a show that has got everything; wit & humour, father taking care of his kids even from the beyond. Devising games to make his kids participate and help them with their lives alongside. I think they should renew it for season 2.

eves July 6, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Only just found this show on Hulu. We need more funny on TV and this show is funny. It brings back the importance of family without being obnoxious about, it takes into account society’s need for competition while reminding us there are more important things than winning, and it shows what we all wish on the inside – that we are good people whose forgotten dreams are never truly lost at any age. Please keep Goodwin Games alive!!!

JJ July 4, 2013 at 1:54 am

I love this show, but only just found it on HULU- Please FOX, bring it back!

Daron July 3, 2013 at 10:11 pm

I really like the show. I hope it get renewed. Way better than Bones and New Girl.

John John July 3, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I saw this show for the first time last night and I want to watch it again because Melissa Tang and Becki Newton are banging hot!