The Goodwin Games: Cancelled? Renewed for Season Two?

goodwin games canceled or season two?Tonight marks the finale of The Goodwin Games, FOX’s most recent sitcom. Has it been a ratings success? Will it be cancelled or renewed for a second season?

The Goodwin Games follows three estranged siblings — an overachieving surgeon (Scott Foley), a struggling actress (Becki Newton); and a career petty criminal (T.J. Miller). They return home for their father’s funeral and are informed that their father’s will awards them $23 million but only if they agree to compete in a series of games that end up bringing them closer as a family. The cast also includes Kat Foster, Melissa Tang, and Beau Bridges.

The sitcom was initially supposed to air last fall but FOX decided to save it for mid-season. Then, in November, the network cut Goodwin Games’ episode order (from 13 to just seven installments). They then opted to hold the premiere until late May when the regular TV season was nearly over. They clearly had little or no faith in the show.

The ratings have been poor on top of that. The sitcom debuted to just a 0.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 1.6 million viewers. Over the course of the season, the show’s numbers fell as low as a 0.5 rating with just under 1.4 million. Reruns of FOX’s regular comedies typically perormed as well or better.

It looks highly unlikely that FOX will be ordering a second season of The Goodwin Games. The numbers are quite low and Foley has signed on as a series regular on the new season of Scandal on ABC. It would seem that tonight’s episode will be both the season and series finale.

But, what do you think? Do you like The Goodwin Games? Is it better than what the ratings seem to indicate? Should it be cancelled or renewed for season two?

Maria July 23, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I also enjoyed watching this show. Ratings on any show at this time of year are probably low. They should give this show a chance.

leslie July 23, 2013 at 5:50 am

We LOVED this show. Very different, which is a refreshing change from the same ‘ol, same ‘ol. All of the characters were great. I think Fox killed it by first postponing its debut to May, then by cutting the episodes to only 7. People follow these reports and don’t want to commit to a show they think won’t make it, so it never got a fair shake. We’ll be very disappointed if it’s cancelled.

Shane July 23, 2013 at 3:25 am

With all the garbage that’s played on mainstream cable television, it’s really disheartening that this show didn’t even get a 13 episode season shot. It’s also unfortunate that the ratings weren’t better – I think it’s simply because viewers didn’t give it a real chance and didn’t want to. It’s also somewhat surprising, especially with the presence of Scott Foley and T.J. Miller. Heck, even with the fact that Jerrod Carmichael had his random cameo (really disappointed we never get to find out his position in all of this) – as many of us know, Daniel Tosh boasted him (in his own way) on pretty much every episode of Tosh.0 last season.

Well, it seems that there’s plenty of shows that have a unique, original idea but just isn’t something recycled enough for the average viewer to latch onto and bore themselves into weekly viewing submission.

Topher July 22, 2013 at 4:46 pm

You never get the figure out who the black kid was

leslie July 23, 2013 at 5:50 am

Seriously!

Kimberly July 22, 2013 at 10:10 am

I ansolutley love this show!!!! If it is officialu cancelled i will be soooo disapointed:(

Lily July 21, 2013 at 2:20 am

I enjoy the show very much, i didnt realize it was in so much trouble and that it might be cancelled! i hope this doesnt happen

Anonymous July 20, 2013 at 4:56 am

;/ I hope the bring it back… I liked it… all of the characters are people you can care for…

Maggie July 19, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I stumbled upon this show and I loved it. I found it very funny and I enjoyed watching the three siblings realize they were learning a different lesson each episode. I expected not to like it but was pleasantly surprised as I continued to watch. I agree with previous comments that the show wasn’t given a chance to succeed. I hope that FOX smartens up and gives this show a fighting chance and the proper placement and hype that is deserves.

Eva July 18, 2013 at 10:34 am

Loved this show! Just found it on hulu, my boyfriend and I watched it all in a few days and couldn’t believe it was over! Please bring it back!!

Jane July 17, 2013 at 10:15 pm

This is the only show I looked forward to every week! Please keep it going!

Jennifer H July 17, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I loved it! Wish there were more episodes!

Tracy McCallister July 17, 2013 at 6:47 pm

This show is totally awesome. It makes me laugh and cry, and just feel good after each episode. I love the characters and the actors that play them to perfection. Yes, Scott Foley has signed with Scandal, but as much as I love him, he can be recasted. This show is a keeper. Save it please!

Rachel July 16, 2013 at 11:14 pm

They should definitely keep the show going! I love it!

Anonymous July 15, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Great show, I’m going to be sad if they don’t pick it up.

Tiffany July 15, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I love it!! I absolutely want to see more.