The Goodwin Games: Cancelled? Renewed for Season Two?

goodwin games canceled or season two?Tonight marks the finale of The Goodwin Games, FOX’s most recent sitcom. Has it been a ratings success? Will it be cancelled or renewed for a second season?

The Goodwin Games follows three estranged siblings — an overachieving surgeon (Scott Foley), a struggling actress (Becki Newton); and a career petty criminal (T.J. Miller). They return home for their father’s funeral and are informed that their father’s will awards them $23 million but only if they agree to compete in a series of games that end up bringing them closer as a family. The cast also includes Kat Foster, Melissa Tang, and Beau Bridges.

The sitcom was initially supposed to air last fall but FOX decided to save it for mid-season. Then, in November, the network cut Goodwin Games’ episode order (from 13 to just seven installments). They then opted to hold the premiere until late May when the regular TV season was nearly over. They clearly had little or no faith in the show.

The ratings have been poor on top of that. The sitcom debuted to just a 0.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 1.6 million viewers. Over the course of the season, the show’s numbers fell as low as a 0.5 rating with just under 1.4 million. Reruns of FOX’s regular comedies typically perormed as well or better.

It looks highly unlikely that FOX will be ordering a second season of The Goodwin Games. The numbers are quite low and Foley has signed on as a series regular on the new season of Scandal on ABC. It would seem that tonight’s episode will be both the season and series finale.

But, what do you think? Do you like The Goodwin Games? Is it better than what the ratings seem to indicate? Should it be cancelled or renewed for season two?

Christopher G Hinshaw March 28, 2014 at 4:29 pm

This was a great show “The Goodwin Games” I like that the actors were real people not Hollywood type,plus the writing is real again not a made up story. This show should come back. Make some small changes and more P.R. and this could be an emy award show.

Firefoxred March 13, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Cancelled? What? Why? Very Disappointing!!!!

Leila February 3, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I love becki newton she is such a talented actress and the creators too I mean carted bays and Craig Thomas! How I met your mother is already pre recorded on my DVR I hope that they do not cancel The Goodwin Games because like most ppl have previously stated its so REFRESHING

Jenifer January 22, 2014 at 12:57 pm

I REALLY liked this show!! It was new & interesting! Just like “SAVE ME” with Anne Heche , finally something funny and irreverent. We can ALL relate to having regrets about how we’ve treated others at some point in time. I WANT THESE SHOWS TO BE PICKED AND RENEWED!!!!!

Basil January 19, 2014 at 5:09 am

I love this show and like many others i wish that it has a second chance. its concept is fresh and new

Jessica January 10, 2014 at 3:47 am

I love this show i think it deserves a chance

TL AGUISANDA December 19, 2013 at 11:22 am

Just give Goodwin Games a real chance renew, publicize and get there name out there, I will so miss it, if you don’t renew…..it is not a one hit wonder, it is just the beginning for this great show, great actors and great writing, an original script that just needs a big FAT CHANCE.

TL AGUISANDA December 19, 2013 at 11:18 am

I just read the above article they never gave the Goodwin Games a chance, it was butchered from the beginning by cutting down on the episodes, delays and just not giving it time to even get a great following, it seems that clean family fun is off the books and shows like Scandal remain, I’m thankful that a few good shows, such as Hart of Dixie, The Neighbors are still going……

TL AGUISANDA December 19, 2013 at 11:14 am

This is a great show, that a parents gives to his children to get along and stay together after his death, because in real life, when the parents are gone, the glue of the family is also gone, and so many family split.

james December 18, 2013 at 3:58 pm

This was my favorite show!! I pray for AT LEAST a second season

Nura November 21, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I LOVED the Goodwin Games!!!!! I agree with others, a very refreshing approach. Plenty of actors out there play on two shows, Scott Foley can handle it. This is a group of talented people. I really wanted to hear more of the imaginative antics their father had in store for them!!! Whoever the writers are, keep at it! Maybe another network?

Cristopher October 28, 2013 at 10:55 am

I am a huge T.J. Miller fan, and the show was fantastic, def. a refreshing change from the normal cops and robbers, spy, murder type shows that have become boring, and far from entertaining.
I work 3rd shift and I tend to miss everything unless I watch it on HULU. I never saw any commercials for the Goodwin Games, so how does FOX (and I love the FOX network and its type of shows) expect a following.
Bring Goodwin Games back for a second season and advertise it, I’m sure you will get your ratings because as FOX knows change from the norm is good.

Michelle October 25, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I really LOVE The Godwin Games! It would be a waste and a real shame not to air the remaining 5 episodes of season 1. Also, I’d personally appreciate more seasons :) PLEASE RENEW SEASON 2!!

Paul October 25, 2013 at 11:04 am

From reading the article, it sounds like Fox doomed this show from the start. I had never even heard of the show until a couple of days ago, when I saw it on Hulu. I don’t remember any ads for the show. No wonder it had such low ratings. I thought the show was great.

Stephanie October 25, 2013 at 12:53 am

I thought that this was a funny show and am sad to see that it will not be returning.

Ella November 30, 2013 at 11:39 am

You’re right never heard of the show until it was on my Hulu!!! Fox shame on you this was a great show!