The Great American Dream Vote: ABC Pulls Ratings Nightmare

The Great American Dream VoteThe premise for The Great American Dream Vote was that the audience would choose which contestant deserved to have their wishes and fantasies “magically” fulfilled. It could have been a good deal for contestants, but ended up being not so good for ABC. After only two episodes, the Donny Osmond-hosted reality show was making their audience disappear.

The sneak preview episode (which followed the Tuesday edition of Dancing with the Stars) lost over 11 million from its lead-in, leaving fewer than six million viewers. The second night was even worse, attracting less than 4.6 million. As a result, ABC has pulled Dream Vote from their schedule effective immediately. There are no plans to air the three remaining episodes.

Pairs of reruns of George Lopez (which had been scheduled to return April 25th) will fill the Wednesday night timeslot next week No word on how ABC will adjust their schedule beyond that. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Jenna May 17, 2007 at 4:38 am

I was actually excited about the show. I was so disapointed to hear it was off the air. Yeah, some of the dreams were very lame, but couldn’t they have just given the show another chance instead of taking it off the air so soon? They should re-design it and only take the dreams that are for helping others, not themselves.

Joy May 14, 2007 at 11:17 pm

I would agree with alot of the previous comments. The premise of the show and Donny were great. It was the dreams chosen that fell flat. They did not inspire or motivate. I would like to think that instead of cancelling the show the powers to be could have re-evaluated the content and gave Donny and the show a chance to catch on. I sat in the studio audience for two of the tapings and a guy next to me said it best… He said the most touching moments were behind the scenes with Donny, he was great with his fans and always fun and the consumate professional. I have two dreams and planned to submit to the show only to learn before I could finish my submission tape that the show had been cancelled. It truly was a great idea, too bad it wasn’t given a chance to soar. There are people and dreams out here that can touch and inspire others and Donny is the perfect host for the show and those dreams. Maybe the producers and execs could reconsider and give it a redesign, keep Donny and give the show another go.

Denis May 10, 2007 at 6:02 am

I saw the first show and didn’t want to see the second one. That was so, so embarrassing. Who cares about such petty and unmeaningful dreams as the ones that were expressed on that show. I felt bad for Donny. How did he get talked into that?

Roxi April 26, 2007 at 6:26 pm

WOW – I liked the show – sorry to see it was pulled – it hardly had a chance to get going! PLUS the fact I sent in my tape hoping for a chance – guess now that won’t happen! bummer

Rick April 24, 2007 at 11:47 pm

The Bald dude won from the first night. No idea who won the next night, as the results would be on the 3rd show. You’d think ABC would at least post summaries or something.

Carolynne April 11, 2007 at 2:15 pm

I agree the concept had merit, almost like “Queen for a Day” back in the 60′s for all you old timers. But the so-called dreams were pretty much lame and you ended up not caring who won because it all seemed so petty. I mean, a hair transplant??? Get your own Rogaine already!

Lori April 10, 2007 at 5:37 am

So does anyone know if Jim from Maine won his chance to compete?

Richard April 4, 2007 at 6:58 pm

Even most of us die hard Osmond fans didn’t really care for the show. Donny, of course and as usual, was great. The premise of the show sounded awesome, but the finished product and “dreams” were LAME! Well Donny on to one of your other projects!

Amanda April 4, 2007 at 2:49 pm

I am very disappointed that the show was cancelled. I agree with the comment above…maybe it would have better ratings if the producers would have chosen dreams that helped others. I did enjoy the show and was looking forward to watching it tonight. I even thought of trying out for the show because I have a dream to help after school children in literacy, etc.

Helen Frye April 4, 2007 at 8:41 am

If the producers would have chosen dreams with substance, dreams that helped other people instead of self serving dreams then the show could have been a success.

Donna April 4, 2007 at 8:03 am

I was one of the people that did watch the first night, but had to miss the second. I would really like to find out who won.