The Hour: Cancelled, No Season Three for BBC America Series

The Hour canceledThere won’t be a third season of The Hour, the BBC Two TV series. The show aired on BBC America here in the States.

Created by Abi Morgan, The Hour is set in the late 1950’s and revolves around a BBC current affairs news show. The dramatic series stars Ben Whishaw, Dominic West, Romola Garai, Anton Lesser, Julian Rhind-Tutt, Joshua McGuire, Lisa Greenwood, Anna Chancellor, Kelly-Jayne Adams. Burn Gorman, Juliet Stevenson, Tim Pigott-Smith, Andrew Scott and Oona Chaplin.

While The Hour was a success in its first season, viewership dropped significantly in season two. There are just 12 episodes total and the finale aired on BBC America on January 2nd.

A representative for BBC Two said, “We loved the show but have to make hard choices to bring new shows through.”

What do you think? Did you like The Hour? Are you sorry to hear that there won’t be a third season?

lsumner April 4, 2014 at 6:53 pm

I too came across The Hour recently on Netflix and was totally hooked after the first episode. BBC consistently gives us the best drama, they do it so well and they have done it again with a complex political situation as a backdrop coupled with an intriguing set of characters that bring excellent scripts to life each show. Such a shame that there won’t be a third season ! Give The Hour a chance BBC !

Karen B March 24, 2014 at 12:40 am

I just ran across The Hour on Amazon Prime and LOVED IT! I was truly hoping there would be a Season 3. It kept me wanting to know what would happen next and how they were going to get down to the truth. It should not have been cancelled!

bwhittall March 12, 2014 at 2:34 am

I just watched the 2 seasons in one day iam so sad that that’s all the show was the best I’ve seen in years. The actors were outstanding the story line was riviting on the edge of your seat Iam so sorry for all.

david whorf March 3, 2014 at 11:49 pm

The show was one of the best I’ve seen in a long time. You need to do a season three!

Donna Snyder February 25, 2014 at 10:48 pm

I have wondered what happened to The Hour. It was really a great show, sorry to hear you gave up on it.

Ann Southam February 22, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I loved “The Hour” and I want a third season!!!!! It kept you on the edge and you learned to either love or hate the characters. I will miss this series very much and hope they rethink their decision.

Linda O'Quinn February 20, 2014 at 12:18 am

I just finished the last show of the second season. I was hooked on this show, it was great. I don’t think the availability of BBC America is readily available to everyone. I only found this show by chance on Amazon.com. I think it is a shame that such a great show is not being continued here in the US because I know it would have had great success. I want to know what happened to Freddy!

Kris B February 19, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I just finished watching The Hour (Season 1 & 2) on Amazon Prime. I enjoyed it so much and am very unhappy to find out there will be no more episodes. The BBC has such good shows. I’m so tired of reality shows. Please reconsider and continue with this series.

Hilda Richey February 14, 2014 at 12:35 am

I just finished watching Series 2 and was hoping for the 3rd. I’m so disappointed that it’s cancelled. Please reconsider as it’s really a great show.

Bern February 12, 2014 at 12:08 pm

This was a great production and I am very sorry it was cancelled. Actually, I can’t believe something of this quality would give way.

betsy shipley January 25, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Yes, pitiful that they cancelled yet another fine drama! They probably want to have more reality shows which I detest.

PMH January 19, 2014 at 11:06 am

Beautifully scripted… and as usual well acted but as usual series that have no sex do not last!!! Such a pity and I think the US has it’s own version… “The Newsroom” more light, humor, and as usual not too well written the script… Sorry… for once the BBC has beaten the usual US fare of TV series… etc…. I do wish that they would somehow revive it but alas that is something I believe will not see the light of day!

John Kane January 13, 2014 at 11:29 am

I was so devastated to learn that the BBC decided to cancel any further filming of the excellent show “The Hour.” How short-sighted of them. In today’s world we have a global audience for TV drama, not just 1-2M UK viewers. I watched Season 2 on Netflix and was rivetted to the screen through all 6 high quality episodes.

If the BBC aren’t prepared to invest any more of their budget on this excellent drama, can’t Netflix do what they did with Kevin Spacey’s “House of Cards?” Please Netflix, sign up this first rate production, writing and acting team for future episodes of “The Hour.” There’s a hungry global audience eagerly waiting.

marti black November 19, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I am devastated. I had planned to get out the popcron for season three. How sightsighted of the BBC.

Tony Wilson October 30, 2013 at 12:06 am

I watched The Hour on Netflix (I live in Canada) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope that the BBC continues to do such good work.
PLEASE GIVE US A THIRD SEASON