The Killing: Cancelled by AMC, Season Three Possible

AMC TV show The Killing canceledTo no surprise, AMC has cancelled The Killing after two seasons on the air. The ratings took a sizable dip in year two after the first season didn’t wrap up the ongoing murder mystery. However, The Killing may not be as dead as poor Rosie Larsen.

In a statement, AMC said, “After much deliberation, we’ve come to the difficult decision not to renew The Killing for a third season. AMC is incredibly proud of the show and is fortunate to have worked with such a talented team on this project, from showrunner Veena Sud and our terrific partners at Fox Television Studios to the talented, dedicated crew and exceptional cast.”

Fox Television Studios, which produces the series, issued a similar statement but gave some hope for fans who were looking forward to a third season. “Fox Television Studios is extremely proud of The Killing, the extraordinary writing staff and crew, and what we believe is one of the best casts on television. We will proceed to try to find another home for the show.”

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that The Killing has been cancelled? Would you be interested in watching a third season? Which characters should be in it?

shaunaconda July 28, 2012 at 9:33 am

A good solid show. It got more interesting as it went along.

Carole July 28, 2012 at 9:21 am

Slow moving, yes – but with excellent writing, acting, character depth. I eagerly anticipated each new episode and actually liked that everything wasn’t neatly wrapped up at the end of the first season. And what an emotional, moving conclusion! I certainly hope this series finds a home on another network.

Georgia July 28, 2012 at 9:20 am

I would like a third season. Seems like it ended with the police radio saying something about another killing.

For those who like action packed TV, it would not be for them, but I liked that it was slow in developing. Most shows are “your loved one was killed…. next case.” I don’tknow what that “dark filming” (dingy looking) is called, but it was appropriate for this show. When CSI NY started, they tried that “dark filming” and I did not like it, but they eventually changed it to regular bright TV like we are used to.

Fox is horrendous for cancelling shows (‘cept for Fringe, yeaaaa!!), so I’m sure this series would be one that would always being on edge of being cancelled.

By the way, I like that we can post comments w/o having to use FB or Twitter or Google ID on this site.

Kat July 31, 2012 at 8:09 am

I thought it was brilliant and very fitting when CSI: NY first started “dark filming” — it was appropriate to the mood regarding NYC — and, on a smaller scale, Det. Mac Taylor’s own life — post 9/11, speaking as someone in New Jersey who refers to it as “the city”.

I agree that it’s nice to be able to post comments without going through a sign-up process or being a part of one of those social networking sites.

Kat July 31, 2012 at 8:13 am

But then it was also fitting when it switched to brighter, more normal lighting as the series progressed/time passed and Mac Taylor & the city as a whole started being able move on from that horrible day.

David Wess July 28, 2012 at 8:24 am

I really enjoyed this show and am sad to see it go. The first season left the plot unresolved, which was a large negative to many viewers, who did not return for the second season. By the end of the 2nd season, all had been resolved, and it was done quite effectively.

If a 3rd season happens, a fresh killing will be needed. I don’t know if that is feasible, as many of the major characters will have to be replaced.

Hengst July 28, 2012 at 7:53 am

Well, given the way the show ended this season, many, myself included thought that was in fact the ending of the show. It was the perfect ending point, so no cliff-hangers

The Insightful Viewer July 28, 2012 at 6:17 am

As with any television program, some people like it, and some don’t. When enough who don’t stop watching, the television network which is airing the program naturally decides to cut its losses, in most instances. That some do like the program doesn’t confer a right to have it continued at a loss. Television networks are businesses, and if they kept funding all their money-losing shows, they wouldn’t be around; then, those who express anger at the cancellation of a money-losing show they happen to like would have nothing to watch.

That said, it seems to me that, more to the point, networks would do well to look beyond just the viewing numbers and ask whether there’s anything they’ve done which has caused a decline in viewership. If there is something, then perhaps a better decision than canceling would be appropriate: change what’s been done that fostered the decline.

One thing that makes it difficult to renew my own interest in subsequent seasons of a program that I initially liked is that I often have to wait for several months–sometimes nearly a year–for the program to continue after a season ends. Combined with networks offering short program seasons, sometimes with as few as only 7-10 episodes, the re-emergence of such a program after all those months presents an unwelcome challenge to me. It’s been so long since I watched the program that I’ve almost forgotten what it was about, and it seems harder to get interested in subsequent seasons of such programs than it was to become interested in the first season. Absent an extraordinary story line with exceeptional acting, my tendency may well be to stop watching, because it’s just too hard to “get back into” the program. Had I not had to wait so long for the program’s new season, I might well have continued to watch it. That may be the case with others, as well.

When that happens, the smarter thing to do than canceling a program may be to have more episodes in a season and not have such a long hiatus between seasons. A network could take a blind gamble on doing that, or, since they’re already paying a fortune for viewship statistics, they might better fund an adjunct poll asking viewers who said they’ve stopped watching to tell them why. If the poll reveals that declining viewship is due to a network’s own errors or misconduct, then perhaps the errors or misconduct could be alleviated, in which case viewership might pick up. Learning from and correcting mistakes, applying the corrections to other programs, might ultimately allow the other programs to not experience the same sort of viewership decline when a new season starts.

Of course, if storylines, acting, or other facets of a program are insufficient to secure enough viewers to make the program profitable even after correcting the mistakes of the networks which air it, then so be it; cancellation would probably be inevitable. But perhaps the networks shouldn’t be so hasty to jump to cancellation before they’ve researched the reasons for viewship declines. Right now, they appear to merely say that viewership just “is” (or isn’t!), and assume that the problem is with the program rather than those who air it, when viewership declines. How about a little more effort to find out why there’s a decline and whether anything can be done to reverse it before automatically jumping to cancellation. Some possible food for thought.

Tha Critic July 27, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Where could it possibly go if they caught the killer?

The Insightful Viewer July 28, 2012 at 6:20 am

One would think that there would be a new killing, with a related story and some resulting new characters.

Dave July 27, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I watched the first season but never really cared for it. I just didn’t find any of the characters likeable. I wanted to like the show and really tried to like the show but about half way through the first episode of season 2 I decided it just wasn’t worth my time. Just my humble opinion.

James July 27, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I hope Fox finds another home for The Killing. It’s too brilliant of a show to be canceled prematurely. Perhaps DirecTV can take it over. They’ve done an AMAZING job taking over Damages from FX. Maybe even Netflix could pick it up with their other original series. I hope they find a new home for it. HBO or Showtime would be even better!

Sarah July 27, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Wow. Just wow. What aren’t they going to cancel? My DTV is starting to become an expense that’s not worth it, because there is nothing left to watch.

Pat Pyfrom July 27, 2012 at 8:22 pm

The Killing was my favorite program this year. Love the Holder/Linden team. The rest of the cast doesn’t matter.

Please find a place for it.

Joyce Griffin July 27, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I read the blog and couldn’t figure why people didn’t stick with it. It was written as a slow paced drama, not a wham, bam, thank-you ma’mam. Each evening was equal to one or two days, so two years was actually a month. It was revealing to know each chacter and the setting, mood and tone of the movie was as much a part of the show as its characters. Like Wallender or Girl w/the Dragon Tatoo that gray rain, it drew you in.

Ginny Hopkirk July 27, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Yes, a 3rd season must have Linden, Holder and the new mayor, to see what happens.

Please bring the series back for a 3rd season. The writing is different, spare and unforgiving, and we need that. The writing is dark so we can’t look away, and we need that too. Please continue to bring the diversity of good writing, superb acting, fascinating lead characters. A new lead story for the season makes sense. A deeper dive into the characters would be welcome. Finding the balance between reveal and non-reveal is tough, but there are fans that get it, watch it, and likely are championing it’s return. Do it.

Chloe July 27, 2012 at 6:43 pm

This was AMC’s ONLY series with a complex female character in the lead. Nothing stereotypical about Linden. She is real and unpredictable and she’ll be missed. Now the women on AMC are the usual supporting cast. AMC was doing something interesting and new for a while there.

Scotty July 27, 2012 at 6:04 pm

A brilliant story in every way, beautifully designed and played. We are very disappointed in AMC and will definitely watch a 3rd season if Fox produces it. We will be less trusting of AMC’s intelligent handling of complex stories in the future. (And it’s really okay that the killer wasn’t neatly revealed at the end of season one. This was a deep and real examination of how a murder has a ripple effect and disturbs everyone’s lives – and often solutions aren’t clear and easy.) This is a real loss.