The Killing: Season Three Being Shopped

season three of The KillingWhen AMC cancelled The Killing after two seasons on the air, it was reported that Fox TV Studio planned to shop the TV series to other outlets. It now appears that they’ve indeed been busy and both Netflix and DirecTV have expressed interest.

According to TVLine, meetings are still ongoing and people close to the show “feel hopeful” that something can be worked out. Other prospective buyers, including Amazon, have yet to have their discussions with Fox. The article notes that having Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman on-board is a big asset since both actors have become much better known since they signed on for the pilot.

In a pre-cancellation interview, Kinnaman said that he believed that there were lots of opportunities for new stories. He noted, “We’ve invested a lot in these characters and want to see how they continue their journey… I feel like Linden and Holder [are] just [getting] started.”

While there may be plenty of stories left to tell, one has to wonder if the audience for this show is still big enough to justify the production costs. Many expressed disappointment that the Rosie Larsen murder case wasn’t solved at the end of season one and chose to skip season two. The sophomore season drew just 1.58 million total viewers, a year-to-year decline of 27% from the first year.

What do you think? Would you like to see a third season of The Killing? Do you think the numbers justify the TV series being saved?

Canceled and renewed TV show

37 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. L. says

I was very upset to find out that AMC cancelled The Killing. I absolutely love the show and have high hopes that someone will pick it up. Please bring back The Killing!

2. pam says

I would love to see a third season! Doing one mystery a season would be a great show and give the show time to explore the back history of Holder and Linden. Plus I loved the ambience of Seattle (or Vancouver) :) I hope this give this show a chance, do some marketing and get season 3 underway!

3. laura says

Such a smart show, emotional and compelling! One of my favorite shows ever. So much better for the brain than the horrible reality shows that just never stop coming.

4. Cindy says

Please, please, please bring The Killing back!!!! One of my favorites, loved the twists and turns. I hope the original cast members can stay on as well. Please find them a home.

5. Libby says

I adored every episode of The Killing. I especially loved the dynamic b/w Holder and Linden and really hope the show gets a third season!

6. Karen McVey says

Most shows are so PREDICTABLE that I lose interest within ten minutes. Not The Killing…never predictable and always interesting. Too bad a great show like this was canceled.

7. Karen McVey says

Why do most people assume it has to continue with Rosie’s murder? It could still include most of the characters with a new murder mystery. It could happen around the same area with Holder and Linden as the detectives. It could include most of the same actors and make room for new ones. It could even involve Rosie’s parents, etc., who would be involved as helpful victims, because they live in the area and have just experienced the murder of their daughter. What a shame to let go of the chemistry of Holder and Linden!!!!

8. Karen McVey says

The Killing was one of the greatest shows every!!! Holder and Linden’s chemistry with one another was wonderful! I can’t believe this show was canceled…what a shame!!!!! People with a brain loved the suspense! It seems networks cater to those who don’t want to think or be challenged by a show that is not predictable!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Rich & Becky says

We totally enjoyed watching “The Killing”… never missed an episode since day one! We would even tape it to watch it over again! We loved the story line and the interaction between the characters. We were so looking forward to season 3 and you take it from us? Why? There are so many really bad shows you could remove. Please don’t take “The Killing”!