The Killing: AMC TV Series Renewed for Season Two

The Killing on AMCThe season finale of AMC’s freshman show The Killing airs this Sunday but fans can rest easy. The AMC TV series has been renewed for a second season.

The Killing debuted to a 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 2.72 million viewers. The ratings fell significantly over the course of the season and hit a low at the end of May, registering a 0.4 rating in the demo with 1.971 million viewers.

The series is reportedly the second-highest rated show on the channel (behind The Walking Dead) so, to no surprise, AMC has decided to give The Killing a second season of 13 episodes. There’s no word on when production will begin or when viewers can expect to see season two. The current season began in early April.

The series features the talents of Mireille Enos, Billy Campbell, Brent Sexton, Eric Ladin, Jamie Anne Allman, Joel Kinnaman, Kristin Lehman, and Michelle Forbes.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that The Killing will be back for a second season or should it have been cancelled? Why do you think more people don’t watch?

53 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Primetyme says

I think it should have been a stand alone series. I watch but to keep most viewers interested they will need to pick up the pace. I’d rather leave the party too soon than stay too long.

2. says

The Killings is one of the Best series ever on AMC…Superb cast of characters with each week their true identities unfolding so mysteriously..Suspenseful all the way…10 * to the writer’s & producers —-for this is real entertainment…

3. matt says

this is great news. this series has been very entertaining and one of the best dramas on TV this summer

4. Anonymous says

I love the show. Don’t see why they don’t have more viewers but I guess the viewing population now a days, would rather watch the Jersey Shore crap than a great show with down to earth characters and a great storyline. Glad to hear it’s coming back next year.

5. DD Brooklyn says

The Killing is the best thing on US TV right now. Terrific writing, acting and production, they serve the original Danish series well. Mireille Enos is a revelation. Networks make so many boneheaded decisions these days, kudos to AMC for renewing a top shelf drama (cf Metacritic) and rewarding viewers who seek quality TV drama in a deluge of reality TV dross.

6. Alana Spiwak says

I am thrilled that “The Killing” has been renewed. I can’t wait to see the finale and what’s in store for next year.

7. Robin dorn says

I absolutely love The Killing
    It is suspenseful and the acting is great
    I an very happy it is being picked up for a second season

8. Barbara Dreeben says

It’s a fabulous show and I am always surprised that people even know about it because I believe it gets very little marketing! However more and more people I know (and they are mostly older than the demographic described in the memo) are watching and loving the show and discuss each week who they think is the real killer each week.

Hooray that it’s been renewed !!!!!!!!!

9. Linda Quinn says

The show is on at 10:00 p.m. at night… which is bedtime for working people that have to get up early. I watch it “on demand” during the week. I like the show.

10. ariel leibovitz says

I think it is a wonderful show with great suspense and excellent acting. Not enough people have heard of it.

11. Elyse says

It’s to know what to say as the first season (which I thought was the ONLY season) isn’t over yet. The cast is good, the plotting great, so if they get another killing/crime of the same fascinating proportions, I’m game for a second season.

12. Debbie says

I have followed the show from the beginning, I like it allot, but it’s a bit dark….the filming I mean. Even daylight scenes are a bit drab. Just pure grey/darker grey is a bit annoying and seems like it just drags itself from one scene to the next. A story needs change to keep our eyes as busy as our minds. Just my opinion.