The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson: Host Leaving in December

late late show with craig fergusonDavid Letterman is retiring from Late Show with David Letterman next year but he won’t be the first CBS late night host out of the door. Craig Ferguson, the host of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, has announced his plan to depart the program this December.

The move isn’t completely unexpected with Ferguson being passed over as host of Letterman’s show and also picking up a new job as host of a new syndicated game show.

Here’s the official press release from CBS:

CRAIG FERGUSON ANNOUNCES PLANS TO STEP DOWN AS HOST OF “THE LATE LATE SHOW”

Critically Acclaimed Host of the Peabody Award-Winning Late Night Show to Sign Off in December

Craig Ferguson announced today that he has decided to step down as host of THE LATE LATE SHOW in December 2014.

Ferguson broke the news this afternoon to his studio audience during the taping of the show, which will be broadcast at 12:37-1:37 AM, ET/PT.

“During his 10 years as host, Craig has elevated CBS to new creative and competitive heights at 12:30,” said Nina Tassler, Chairman, CBS Entertainment. “He infused the broadcast with tremendous energy, unique comedy, insightful interviews and some of the most heartfelt monologues seen on television.”

Added Tassler, “Craig’s versatile talents as a writer, producer, actor and comedian speak to his great days ahead. While we’ll miss Craig and can’t thank him enough for his contributions to both the show and the Network, we respect his decision to move on, and we look forward to celebrating his final broadcasts during the next eight months.”

Said Ferguson, “CBS and I are not getting divorced, we are ‘consciously uncoupling,’ but we will still spend holidays together and share custody of the fake horse and robot skeleton, both of whom we love very much.”

Ferguson has several projects in the works, including hosting “Celebrity Name Game,” a syndicated game show beginning fall 2014, as well as developing television projects via his Green Mountain West production company.

Since its debut in 2005, THE LATE LATE SHOW with CRAIG FERGUSON has won critical acclaim for its unpredictable style and its host’s versatility and charm. The Scottish-born actor, writer, director and producer brought a unique approach to late night television, earning the show a Peabody Award in 2009, and an Emmy Award nomination for himself in 2006. The program’s signatures include an extended, unscripted monologue and guest interviews noted for their free-wheeling nature.

Ferguson has also received critical praise for his more serious commentaries, notably on the passing of his father, the Boston Marathon bombing, obtaining his U.S. citizenship and dealing with his own addictions after Britney Spears’ infamous meltdown in 2007.

He has taken THE LATE LATE SHOW out of the studio with remotes from the streets of Paris and Scotland, as well as broadcasts from Miami and New Orleans in conjunction with CBS’s coverage of the 2009 and 2013 Super Bowls. He also hosted the White House Correspondents’ Dinner in 2008 after becoming a U.S. citizen.

THE LATE LATE SHOW with CRAIG FERGUSON is broadcast weeknights (12:37-1:37 AM, ET/PT). Peter Lassally is the executive producer; Michael Naidus is the producer.

What do you think?Will you miss Ferguson in late night? Who should replace him?

val witecat May 23, 2014 at 11:47 am

We live in Australia so haven’t seen his show from the start. That’s a shame because we knew him from his earlier work in UK & enjoy his charm, honesty & wit immensely! He will definitely be missed!

Val & Mike Maier

Didi May 14, 2014 at 1:18 am

Ferguson’s humor and insight is so unique that the Late Late Show won’t be the same show without him. I simply won’t watch it anymore. CBS has made a huge mistake and an entire ass out of itself for not promoting him to the Late Show to replace Letterman and introducing a whole new crowd–who goes to bed earlier–to Ferguson’s huge–make me burst-out-loud-laughing comedic talent! Stephen Colbert doesn’t have the same kind of humor or energy of Letterman and isn’t even in the same ballpark as Ferguson. I think he won’t be on Late Night too long because he doesn’t engage an audience like the man’s he’s replacing or the man he should’ve been replaced with! I am so glad that on one random night, I just happened to stay up a few minutes longer, and saw the beginning of one of Ferguson’s monologues and haven’t stopped staying up late to watch him ever since. He is THAT bleeping funny! Even if you have to go to bed early on regular nights and don’t have time to watch him DVR’d, just treat yourself to his shows on Friday night until he steps down in December & enjoy his unique talents until them. I have such a stressful job–lawyer–that watching his show is like have an instant stress relief, burst of laughter so I get it all out right before I go to bed. I will miss him terribly.

Betty Meyer April 30, 2014 at 1:41 am

I think it is disgraceful that Craig Ferguson was passed over for Steven Colbert. I don’t think Colbert is even in the same league as far as humor, originality or talent. I have enjoyed every show I have watched and laughed out loud so many times that I have actually woken my husband up from a sound sleep. I can’t even get through a Colbert Report without being bored. CBS has made a huge mistake. If Letterman had any say in this.he should be ashamed. He knows what this feels like in a very real way. I hate Letterman leaving but even worse is the way CBS is treating Ferguson. I will truly miss Craig, Geoff and Secretariat

Why Watch April 29, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Geez, I never realized so many people stayed up so late. I’m fast asleep by then. I do need to be awake and alert in my job the next morning. Even if I taped it, I wouldn’t have time to watch it later.

Chuck165 April 29, 2014 at 11:39 am

A real loss for US TV-his ‘Scotland’ trip was a real highlight and his rapport with many guests was undeniable.
I doubt his leaving is anything much to do with not getting Dave’s job as he repeatedly stated that he liked doing his show his way without the same degree of network oversight.

admin April 29, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I’ve read that too but I’ve also read a few times that he has a clause in his contract that says the network has to pay him a lot of cash if he doesn’t get Dave’s job.

Great April 29, 2014 at 10:18 am

While I’m glad Craig is moving on to other projects so he won’t be gone from TV, he will be irreplaceable. There’s no one prior to him that has done better and no one after him will do it either. He had a unique personality and wit about him that no one can even begin to replace. I’m hearing rumblings that Chelsea will take over for him and if that’s the case, I will be tuning out.

Good luck Craig, we’ll follow you wherever you go!

Lindaesto April 29, 2014 at 2:02 am

I’m sad to hear that Craig is leaving. His humor and wit is unmatched in the Late, Late show arena. I will really miss him! Who can show up a skeleton & fake horse and still draw super guests?

Mary Kenny April 29, 2014 at 12:27 am