The Listener: Poor Reviews and Ratings; Cancel It or Keep It?

The ListenerNBC recently debuted one of their new Summer shows, The Listener. With lots of negative reviews, how did the first episodes perform in the ratings? Is the show worth keeping or should the network listen to critics and cancel it?

The Listener is a Canadian drama that revolves around a young paramedic (Craig Olejnik) who has the ability to listen to people’s inner thoughts. He tries to help those in need while trying to figure out his own place in the world. Others in the cast include Ennis Esmer, Colm Feore, Lisa Marcos, Mylene Robic, Anthony Lemke, John Fleming, Lara jean Chorostecki, Arnold Pinnock, and Paulino Nunes.

The show has already run in several countries around the world and began airing in the US on June 4th. NBC aired the first episode at 9pm and it ranked in fourth place for the timeslot, attracting just 5.25 million viewers and a 1.5/4 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. The 10pm episode garnered a few more viewers (5.34 million) but lost a bit in the demo (1.4/4).

Should The Listener be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Many critics crucified the series and even fellow NBC employee Greg Grunberg may not be crazy about it either. The actor, who plays a mindreader on Heroes, tweeted, “New ‘original’ NBC show about a guy who can hear thoughts… called, uh…The Listener? Uh, no wait, I know this. BRAIN FART!! Genius!!” On Tuesday, he retweeted a fan’s note that said, “wht is ths ‘The Listener’ crap. thr’s alrdy a show abt a mindreader on tv, its called heroes, & @greggrunberg is all we need.”

The peacock network can’t be pleased with Listener’s lackluster performance, even for a Summer series. If NBC was footing the bill exclusively, the show would certainly not be back for another season. But, because the network is simply purchasing the broadcast rights from Canada’s CTV, the show’s much less expensive for them. If CTV decides to produce another season, it might make some sense for NBC to pick it up.

What do you think? Is the show work watching or should it be cancelled already?

Darlene Stahl September 5, 2009 at 7:37 pm

This is my very 1st blog…….. not sure if my words will correctly log….
all of my feelings I’m about to unfold, a short tale; I’ll try not to be bold.
“The listener” is a series that will steel your heart, a #1 show, right from the start.
In a world full of hope that we can all see, a second season of listener is really the key….
to a much better place, you’ll have a wonderful time, I will end this tale of course with a rhyme.
So please vote for this show, you will love it like me, thumbs up for Toby and detective Charlieeeee. from a #fan from Easton, Pennsylvania

Anonymous September 1, 2009 at 6:51 pm

this is a great show and considering summer is a season of repeats it was nice to have a new show on. We have so much crap on the tv as is all these stupid reality shows and (non) talent shows id rather watch this show daily

L. Fox August 28, 2009 at 11:01 pm

Leave the show on, I love it. I download the episodes on my iPod when they become available as I live outside Canada.

Anonymous August 28, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Please don’t cancel. I really enjoy this show. It’s great !!!

Anonymous August 28, 2009 at 2:38 pm

I Love the Show. Look forward to it each week. I hope it isn’t cancelled!

Anonymous August 27, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Keep the show, it is great.

Listener Fan August 27, 2009 at 5:30 pm

I really like this show. I happened upon it one week then watched all the shows on Demand. Bring The Listener back, please

Jasmina August 27, 2009 at 5:18 pm

I really love this show, it has an amazing story line!!! I’m really busy and don’t have much time for t.v. but I make the time to watch this show. I would hate to see it be cancelled!!!!

Anonymous August 27, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Please don’t cancel this show, I think it is great!!!

Gary N August 27, 2009 at 12:31 pm

The one show this summer that I really looked forward to each week. I hope someone will bring it back. What a shame it wasn’t given a chance

Erin August 24, 2009 at 7:35 pm

Hey Everyone,

We have started a petition that will be sent to CTV in support of Season Two of THE LISTENER. If you like the show please sign and please pass on the link to anyone else who likes the show.

Berdien August 18, 2009 at 9:30 pm

I think it’s stupid to cancel the show we just
Got into it and then all of a suden you cance
It well I think it’s a bunch of bull crap , ohh a
Sugestion maybe if you showed the listner
at reasonable time ( like 7:00 or 8:00 ) maybe
More people get to watch it !!!!
Please keep the listner we love it :-}

Krista August 18, 2009 at 9:05 pm

I think it’s stupid to get rid of the show we just got
Into the listner and then you cancel it !! You should give it a change
Maybe if you showed it at a normal time like 7:00 or 8:00 more
People get to watch it !! :-( but no u show it at ten some
People actually have to get up early to go to work so 10 is to late so if u showed it
At 7 or 8 u could actually watch it .

Please keep the listner on :-)

TIffanie August 15, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Ok this is one of thee best shows ever along with
Supernatural, Heros and Criss angel. I dont watch alot of TV but the lisner is so good. and you got this AMAZING guy playing on it(Craig Olejnik),, like how can you cancel it He got gorgeous eyes a great smile and everything. And eveyone on the set works great together and on the filmin set nothing looks like it was worked on to hard or no ackwardness so keep the show for crying out loud! It mine and my nannys favorite show to watch together!!!!

Cathy August 15, 2009 at 5:39 am

PLEASE LEAVE IT
FOR THOSE WHO HATE THE NEW REALITY SHOWS AND THE NEW STUPID COMEDY SHOWS.
YOU GIVE US A TASTE AND BEFORE WE KNOW IT IS GONE> IS THAT COST EFFECTIVE