The Listener: NBC Pulls Craig Olejnik Series from Schedule

IMAGEAfter low ratings, the peacock network has pulled the plug on the series about a telepathic paramedic.

The Listener debuted on June 4th on NBC. Initially produced for Canadian networks, the drama revolves around a young paramedic (Craig Olejnik) who has the ability to hear other people’s thoughts. Through his job and abilities, he seeks to help those in need in any way he can.

Others in the cast include Lisa Marcos, Ennis Esmer, Mylene Robic, Arnold Pinnock, Anthony Lemke, Lara Jean Chorostecki, John Fleming, and Colm Feore.

On NBC, the show got off to a rocky start in the ratings. The two-hour premiere brought in 5.32 million viewers and just a 1.4/4 rating/share of the 18-49 demographic. Summer viewing expectations aren’t very high but it didn’t bode well that the program landed in third place in total viewers and the demo.

Things didn’t get any better for the later episodes. Last week, Listener’s numbers hit a series low with 3.3 million viewers and a tiny 0.7/2 rating in the demo. Even for Summer viewership, those numbers are quite poor for a major network.

Would you like to see season two of The Listener?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

As a result, NBC has decided to end The Listener’s run prematurely. Next week’s episode will be the last to air on the peacock network and repeats of Law & Order will fill the timeslot after that.

The remaining five episodes of Listener are expected to be streamed online in August. The 13 episodes have already aired in many countries across the world and will continue to run in Canada.

Word is that the first season ends with plenty of unresolved mysteries. There’s been no news about the possibility of a second season for The Listener as yet but, if there is, you certainly won’t be seeing it on NBC.

What do you think? A good call by NBC or were you looking forward to seeing more?

Tammy September 15, 2009 at 11:05 am

Ok so they keep on the stupidest show Kings but they take out The Listener? And how did it not get good views every site I checked said everyone loved it!!!!!!!

anita blair September 14, 2009 at 12:49 am

i could not believe the listener has not been on for every week i was looking forward to watching this. the last two weeks which made me very upset.when it did not come on and no one telling us why.i don’t know when they get a good show like this you have to mess with it,please put it back on and make my day’s bright again.

Cassaundra September 13, 2009 at 5:22 pm

I love this show!!! Is it really for sure there won’t be a season 2?

Anonymous September 11, 2009 at 10:43 pm

the listener is a good show way better than most shows that air on tv these days
i just hope there will b a 2nd season

Charlene September 10, 2009 at 9:29 am

This was a great show, I looked forward to it every week. I am disappointed that you took it off instead of at least one of the Reality shows. It was great entertainment, bring it back

Chris September 8, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Dude.. this show is awesome… i look forward to it on Thursdays.. bring it back! It was really getting good…

sam September 7, 2009 at 11:01 am

i loved this show. it has a different story line from most the shows such medical
show and law related ones. keep it on the air.

pam September 6, 2009 at 9:43 pm

I really enjoyed this show.Please bring it back for a second season.

chandra September 4, 2009 at 6:11 pm

no i think it was a terrible idea i loved this show looked forward to seeing it every week =[

ana September 4, 2009 at 10:13 am

I am disappointed that you got rid of the listener. My daughter and I eagerly wait for Thursday evenings to see this show and were quite disappointed when it was not on last night . Please bring it back!!!!

Jen September 3, 2009 at 5:48 pm

The Listener was very entertaining. The more I saw, the more I liked it. I am so disappointed that it was pulled. After not seeing it and looking for it for weeks on tv, I finally searched the internet. Bring it back!!!!!

Angela September 3, 2009 at 1:34 pm

I’m not happy with NBC’s decision to yank “The listener”. Why can’t you pull that reality TV crap? This show had heart and I enjoyed watching it. Here”s hoping that another network with hear our cries and pick this show-up.

Mike September 2, 2009 at 8:15 pm

I knew it, now NBC is not giving a good show a chance. There is nothing worth watching on either of the big 3. NBC give the show another chance during the fall season. Ratings will be better.

Neil September 2, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Gutted that this show was pulled. We only recently got it in the UK and like most shows that seem to come from the U.S, we love them yet only get given a taster then they are stopped. Dissapointing that we will have to go back to watchin UK drivel and re-runs. Hopefully another network will pick it up.

wes September 2, 2009 at 7:21 am

nbc has given me yet another reason to up ymy antidepressants. the way they end these shows(las vegas, journeyman) it’s like their trying to piss us off. F**k cliffhangers.